• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

This "weak" market has been subject to conversation around here every now and again. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Frankly, I'm glad to see it. Overstreet has been just so stubborn about dropping lower grade prices in this genre for the past couple years it is frustrating. gossip.gif

Basic recap (again): The over-inflated mid- low grade prices of the mid/late 90's pre-code horror boom drove many, many horror collectors to the more affordable pastures, most notably bronze age horror. These days, if an online seller starts his opening bid at a reasonable price on a mid-low book, you are very likely to find it going for less than Overstreet.

Bottom line is that Overstreet needs to adjust, although I doubt they will. confused-smiley-013.gifIf the book is not HG or a key cover, it probably won't reach guide.

Pre-Code Keith: Thanks for the confirmation on the rarity of Horrific #2. This was the first copy that I've ever seen for sale, online or at a show. I've never seen one on eBay. Even #3, a very desirable classic cover, is much more frequently seen than #2, yet you'd think that #3 would be harder to find because it's kept in collections.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's obvious that #1 and #2 were by the Iger studio and the title possibly changed hands beginning with #3. I don't have the publishers handy for #1 and #2 vs. #3. Perhaps #2 didn't sell well, wasn't distributed well or wasn't printed in the same quantity.

Edited by paull

Yep, you are onto something there. That copy you have is the only one I have seen in 11 years of pre-code collecting! Tough book! hail.gif

There was a change of hands I believe between 2 and 3, which probably more than not is directly related to the scarcity of the book. confused-smiley-013.gif

I spoke to a dealer recently who told me that he doesn't recall seeing a #2 either. He had a #1 in his possession and has seen #3s periodically, but shrugged his shoulders over the #2. I'm going to go on the line and say that it's a pretty scarce book, possibly one of the rarer pre-code horror books. Believe it or not, I've seen about five Voodoo Annuals for sale in the same period of time that I've seen a single Horrific #2.

This is a new book that I bought at the NYC National show. Weird Tales of the Future #7 featuring a wild Bernard Baily cover which may be his best work. The interior is composed of sci-fi stories, including Wolverton's "Mind Movers" which was reprinted after being cut-up and reassembled by the editor

This copy is in a solid VG/VG+ condition with two pages having 3/4" tears. The cover is _super glossy_. I can't believe how glossy it is, especially compared to my other Gilmor/Aragon books that have lost almost all gloss.

652982-weird7_2.jpg

652982-weird7_2.jpg.970ee756dbb6818477447c6f3cd2150b.jpg

Edited by paull

Yeah, I've seen a few Voodoo annuals pass hands in the last couple years especially. I didn't jump at any, though. Pretty rough stuff. Besides, I guess I'm what you call a "traditional" horror-head: If I have $300 to drop on comics, I'd rather use it to get 15-20 or so low/mids for reading rather than just one book. 893whatthe.gif

Oh, yeah! The spines are incredibly hard to keep nice! Still, HG is not my cup of tea like some you guys out there, so I'd settle for Vg or less as long as it was complete, ya know! I just rarely have the urge to spend that kind of money on one "fix" when I can still get several "fixes" for the same cost. Anyway, yeah Voodoo annual does seem to trade hands often for a reportedly "scarce" book....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I try to buy nothing under VG these days. VG- or Good+ if it's a scarce book, but I'm tired of books with chips falling off, detached centerfolds, brittleness, etc. Those are tough to read.

Edited by paull

I am fine buying GDs as long as the pages are fresh. In fact I'd even take some books like weird mysteries #2 & 5 or the voodoo annual missing a back cover! For me as long as the pages are flexible I am ok with whatever shape its in. I traded away all of my books that looked to be too tan or chipped easily. I hate that!