• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

Great (if gruesome) cover - funny how Fight Against Crime 20 goes for so much more, and the covers are pretty similar (yeah, I know, Fight Against Crime 20 is much scarcer).

Looks like a decent copy to me - what grade did it get from CGC?

Great (if gruesome) cover - funny how Fight Against Crime 20 goes for so much more, and the covers are pretty similar (yeah, I know, Fight Against Crime 20 is much scarcer).

Was wondering the grade myself. Classic cover, you gotta hand it to the artist as not actually showing a decapitated body even though that's what you're looking at. That excuse (among others) came in handy during the senate hearings. crazy.gif

Was wondering the grade myself. Classic cover, you gotta hand it to the artist as not actually showing a decapitated body even though that's what you're looking at. That excuse (among others) came in handy during the senate hearings. crazy.gif

A very good point - E.C.s imitators rarely understood the effect of implied or implicit horror (not that E.C. were that subtle themselves) and occasionally pushed the envelope too far, becoming too visceral, especially considering that we're talking about the early '50s, here.

Here's the cover to FAC 20.........

0607185001.jpg

Very gruesome and sensational, and perfect grist for the Wertham mill.

Sadly that isn't my book......... frown.gif Not an item to show the missus, or any non-comics fan, for that matter.

That's a nice book, goldust...is that the one currently on auction from Warehouse? I tried to pop the reserve on that one, but couldn't do it. 4x guide was my maximum, a healthy multiple for a VG, classic cover or no. Wonder if anyone else will grab it?

That's a nice book, goldust...is that the one currently on auction from Warehouse? I tried to pop the reserve on that one, but couldn't do it. 4x guide was my maximum, a healthy multiple for a VG, classic cover or no. Wonder if anyone else will grab it?

Yep, that's the book that Warehouse has on ebay as we speak - and I think they've had the book up for auction once before. The BIN that time was $850, which is outrageous, needless to say. I reckon the reserve isn't too far from that figure.

The last time FAC 20 sold on ebay it was in VG (give or take) and sold for $350 (about triple guide) which shows how OTT Warehouse's reserve is. As I recall the winning bidder was blackcatcomics (as usual).

Eerie #1 shouldn't even get 8x guide...no, I can't think of any. Maybe some classic covers in extremely low grade (like 1.0 and under) where the multiple wouldn't end up being that much money anyway. Other than that, I'd be stumped to think of a book.

Agreed. That is crazy money for a VG! screwy.gif

One of my pet peeves.... some bozo gets a low grade slabbed and decides the slab makes it "worth more." frustrated.gif

BTW the Crime Suspenstories ought to be on EVERY horror collector's hit list, IMO. I don't actively pursue the EC's, but the notoriety alone of this issue being brought out on the senate floor and used as a focal point ought to count for something, dontcha think? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Agreed, Keith! I'd like to someday upgrade my CSS #22 to a VF if the price is right, but till then I'll be more than content with my copy... cloud9.gif

It's definitely a key book. I believe it shares a line in OS with issue #23 because that issue was also used in the hearings...still, #22 IMO should rank way higher!!

On slabbing lowgrades...the only real value I see to it is the restoration check. I've submitted a few lowgrade GAs for that reason. Still, I wouldn't have the nerve to charge a multiple on ebay simply because I had it slabbed. But I would at least jack the price up $30 (the slabbing cost) as I've taken the time and trouble to assure the potential buyer that there's no resto on the book.

$350 for a VG sounds less than what these were selling for a couple years back. I seem to remember a raw VG going for $450 on ebay at one point. Even though it is a key pre-code crime book, I don't think it's all that scarce - probably easier to find than LSS#11 or CDNP#24.

This is not a recent purchase, but I just posted this in another thread so what the hey. This is my single favorite pre-code book in my collection. In fact, it's my favorite comic ever. It's probably the reason I still collect comics at all. As a kid I had a reprint edition of this book, and read it until the staples popped and it was the most dogeared thing you'd ever seen. This is also one book in which a I went through a long chain of upgrades to finally nab this beauty. It was fun questing for this one!

589a8d152e074_659390-talesfromthecrypt33.jpg.e7fc61ff1aeb419fc0b2d1f221ef007c.jpg