• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,218 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2021 at 1:44 PM, fifties said:

almost felt like I was reading a post-code book, the stories are so tame.

DC did not do graphic horror.  House of Mystery #1-35, Phantom Stranger #1-6, Sensation / Sensation Mystery #107-116, and Star Spangled Comics #122-130 all featured stories of the supernatural/occult.  Very well drawn and scripted, but not even close to the nightmare-inducing stuff being put out by many/most of their contemporaries.

On 12/17/2021 at 2:00 PM, zzutak said:

DC did not do graphic horror.  House of Mystery #1-35, Phantom Stranger #1-6, Sensation / Sensation Mystery #107-116, and Star Spangled Comics #122-130 all featured stories of the supernatural/occult.  Very well drawn and scripted, but not even close to the nightmare-inducing stuff being put out by many/most of their contemporaries.

DC panel illustrations were among the best.  I have a number of copies of House of Mystery, Sensation, and Sensation Mystery, and although they didn't do graphic sensationalism, they contained stories that were entertaining, and beyond what the later CCA would allow. Unfortunately this issue doesn't even qualify in that regard.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:57 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Congrats! I'm not crazy about the writing on the cover either (even though Ken Bald is one of my all-time favorite artists).

...but that didn't stop me from winning this one last night. :foryou:

AITU41 (2).jpg

Did you notice the artist autographed this book 65 years after it appeared on the news stands? 65 years! That’s gotta be some kind of record