• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, southern cross said:

Mine has a tear in the cover top left hand side. The interior is nice.

I have to look at it better as I had a few beers at my lcs when I bought it and looked at it just for a few seconds.

All up it was $141 including tax.

Can't escape the Washington state tax 🤣 

A collection of books was bought off a lady who was the OO by the comic shop I got this book.

Also was a very nicer copy of issue 1 but my comic shop guy kept that iss for himself

Ha! I have gotten some good deals drinking and buying....(and also some credit card debt). 

57 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Just received this beauty today. From 1953 Dark Mysteries #13 by Master Publications. I am really enamored by this title, probably because 18 of the 24 books in it have skeleton's on the cover. The skeleton doesn't necessarily have a place of prominence on this cover, but the gnawed-off leg makes up for it. Presents well for the purchased grade of VG.

Dark Mysteries 13.jpeg

DM is a favourite PCH title of mine, not just for the covers, but for the particularly gruesome and gory stories therein.

Some of the juiciest in the genre.

A publisher that didn't pull it's punches when it came to horror. Kids back then must have been bedwetting like crazy! :insane:

27 minutes ago, G G ® ™ said:

DM is a favourite PCH title of mine, not just for the covers, but for the particularly gruesome and gory stories therein.

Some of the juiciest in the genre.

A publisher that didn't pull it's punches when it came to horror. Kids back then must have been bedwetting like crazy! :insane:

Exactly ! and I think a run of this title may be in order.  It satisfies the skeleton fetish I have, although #19 is going to be a tough one.

1 hour ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Just received this beauty today. From 1953 Dark Mysteries #13 by Master Publications. I am really enamored by this title, probably because 18 of the 24 books in it have skeleton's on the cover. The skeleton doesn't necessarily have a place of prominence on this cover, but the gnawed-off leg makes up for it. Presents well for the purchased grade of VG.

Yeah this run is skeletally awesome, and this particular cover is a favorite because of the way the skull guy is just sort of sticking his head out the window, making an obligatory cameo, apparently just to keep the skeleton theme running.

15 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Dark Mysteries 13.jpeg

Nice grab!  One of my favorites in the run cover wise. A bit un-appreciated I think. 

DM was a title I discovered early and quickly put my run together. Full of really gorey content. And yeah, just had to have a skeleton on the cover!

On 6/14/2021 at 1:45 PM, Black Bat said:

Just in- I think this cover is a bit under appreciated, great b-movie vibe.  The woman’s saying to the creature like “Hey! I’m up here!”

B89ACFF4-35F4-48C7-B32F-AFAD4FE65C3A.jpeg

Is that Cthulhu?

13 hours ago, fifties said:

Dark Mysteries, Mysterious Adventures, and Fight Against Crime were Story Comic's contribution to PCH.  Here's my run of DM, issues 3-22.

Dark Myst. 3-8.JPG

Dark Myst. 9-17.JPG

Dark Myst. 18-22.JPG

Dark Mysteries is a Story Pub?  I thought it was a Master Publications book?

I'm always fascinated by art swipes in the GA era... and as if to confirm their low-rent status in the publishing hierarchy, the Fight Against Crime gang were lifting **entire stories** out of fairly current EC mags. From issue #16 above, here's their not-even-thinly-disguised swipe of Jack Davis's classic "Foul Play!" story ("Foul Ball" really has a B-lister, low-energy ring to it). lol 

Unknown.thumb.jpeg.65545262ac14edb1ecdae2b9dfd90b4e.jpeg

UnknownA.thumb.jpeg.915922ace44c087fee45b383692e4081.jpeg

UnknownB.thumb.jpeg.1a9b94990ba824c75656861f4ff6cd40.jpeg

UnknownC.thumb.jpeg.f6d478450434104f164b1c869d8513c6.jpeg

6 hours ago, Point Five said:

I'm always fascinated by art swipes in the GA era... and as if to confirm their low-rent status in the publishing hierarchy, the Fight Against Crime gang were lifting **entire stories** out of fairly current EC mags. From issue #16 above, here's their not-even-thinly-disguised swipe of Jack Davis's classic "Foul Play!" story ("Foul Ball" really has a B-lister, low-energy ring to it). lol 

Unknown.thumb.jpeg.65545262ac14edb1ecdae2b9dfd90b4e.jpeg

UnknownA.thumb.jpeg.915922ace44c087fee45b383692e4081.jpeg

UnknownB.thumb.jpeg.1a9b94990ba824c75656861f4ff6cd40.jpeg

UnknownC.thumb.jpeg.f6d478450434104f164b1c869d8513c6.jpeg

Amazing! I never knew that "Foul Play" was ripped off by another publisher.