• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STRANGE TALES #110 Club!
9 9

1,322 posts in this topic

C/OW for SA Marvels = death knell.

:roflmao: Sometimes I will give in depending on the grade & rarity of the mega key issue. hm If it was a CGC 9.0, I most likely would have bid on it. (thumbs u

An 8.0 on the other hand is more commonplace and therefore is not as a necessity to me. (shrug)

Also, I am more inclined to accept CR or CR/OW pages for primarily GA books. (thumbs u

Six g's is a pretty expensive "death knell". lol. Ridiculous.

-J.

Yeah it is lol , but ST #110 is a HOT commodity right now so it doesn't matter too much at all about PQ! (shrug)

True that. And that's always been my point more or less....Hot books, rare books, big keys, the "PQ" on the label matters not, as there are more than enough buyers for the book regardless.

-J.

I agree totally! (thumbs u

You mentioned Marvel chipping earlier. Do you think this has the same affect on those hot books, rare books, mega keys etc? hm

Marvel chipping does seem to hit books rather consistently on price regardless of the book, as it does directly impact eye appeal, unlike "PQ" which is unseen and notoriously inconsistent even upon resubs of the same book. The lower the grade, the less impact chipping seems to have on overall price. But again, the hotter, rarer, bigger the book, the more buyers you'll have and it only takes one of them to pull the trigger. (thumbs u

-J.

Cool Beans! (thumbs u A great case in point being the IH #1 CGC 9.0 that was for sale by High Grade Comics. It was a very nice copy, but had very noticeable Marvel chipping on the right side. The asking price was listed as $180K, and it sold almost instantaneously despite the Marvel chipping for an undisclosed price. :headbang: So like you stated my friend, someone was still willing to pull the plug on it and for the foreseeable future. (worship)

I can also use myself as an example. I am the proud owner of the IH #1 CGC White Mountain pedigree copy which has some right-sided Marvel chipping, but that did not deter me from wanting to own a high graded copy of the SA mega key. :cloud9: I was undecided between my IH #1 and a Showcase #4 CGC 8.0, so I asked for boardie assistance to help make my choice.

That was less than a year ago and now look at the demand for a high grade IH #1! :insane: I was initially skeptical, but then I thought & remembered that the Marvel chipping was supposed to be a manufacturing/material defect and was not penalized by 3rd party graders. (shrug) I'm very pleased with my decision and will only part with my book to upgrade to another IH #1 or mega key. :headbang:

So in my case, I was not deterred by the Marvel chipping one bit when I made my final decision. (thumbs u All I knew was I had to have me a high grade IH #1 period! :acclaim:

And the rest is as they say history! lol

:roflmao: Sometimes I will give in depending on the grade & rarity of the mega key issue. hm If it was a CGC 9.0, I most likely would have bid on it. (thumbs u

An 8.0 on the other hand is more commonplace and therefore is not as a necessity to me. (shrug)

Also, I am more inclined to accept CR or CR/OW pages for primarily GA books. (thumbs u

-J.

Yeah it is lol , but ST #110 is a HOT commodity right now so it doesn't matter too much at all about PQ! (shrug)

True that. And that's always been my point more or less....Hot books, rare books, big keys, the "PQ" on the label matters not, as there are more than enough buyers for the book regardless.

-J.

You mentioned Marvel chipping earlier. Do you think this has the same affect on those hot books, rare books, mega keys etc? hm

Marvel chipping does seem to hit books rather consistently on price regardless of the book, as it does directly impact eye appeal, unlike "PQ" which is unseen and notoriously inconsistent even upon resubs of the same book. The lower the grade, the less impact chipping seems to have on overall price. But again, the hotter, rarer, bigger the book, the more buyers you'll have and it only takes one of them to pull the trigger. (thumbs u

-J.

Cool Beans! (thumbs u A great case in point being the IH #1 CGC 9.0 that was for sale by High Grade Comics. It was a very nice copy, but had very noticeable Marvel chipping on the right side. The asking price was listed as $180K, and it sold almost instantaneously despite the Marvel chipping for an undisclosed price. :headbang: So like you stated my friend, someone was still willing to pull the plug on it and for the foreseeable future. (worship)

I can also use myself as an example. I am the proud owner of the IH #1 CGC White Mountain pedigree copy which has some right-sided Marvel chipping, but that did not deter me from wanting to own a high graded copy of the SA mega key. :cloud9: I was undecided between my IH #1 and a Showcase #4 CGC 8.0, so I asked for boardie assistance to help make my choice.

That was less than a year ago and now look at the demand for a high grade IH #1! :insane: I was initially skeptical, but then I thought & remembered that the Marvel chipping was supposed to be a manufacturing/material defect and was not penalized by 3rd party graders. (shrug) I'm very pleased with my decision and will only part with my book to upgrade to another IH #1 or mega key. :headbang:

So in my case, I was not deterred by the Marvel chipping one bit when I made my final decision. (thumbs u All I knew was I had to have me a high grade IH #1 period! :acclaim:

(thumbs u Awesome pick up on that hulk 1 congrats. All that matters in the end is that you are happy with your purchase, and you will certainly have no problem reselling that in the future if you should ever decide to. That's the beauty of the blue chip keys, there will always be a buyer in all grades and all condition types.

-J.

I saw the CGC 8.0 White Mountain Hulk #1 at SDCC last year (Bunky Brothers booth), and came within a breath of purchasing it. The Marvel chipping and what I thought (at the time) was too high a price for that particular book ultimately dissuaded me at the moment-of-truth.

In hindsight, it obviously was the wrong call to pass. A pedigree Hulk #1 - that presents so well (except for the chipping) and has such excellent PQ (which appeals to me) - is a rare thing indeed.

Congrat's on your foresight to make the purchase! :golfclap:

-J.

-J.

-J.

I can also use myself as an example. I am the proud owner of the IH #1 CGC 8.0 White Mountain pedigree copy which has some right-sided Marvel chipping, but that did not deter me from wanting to own a high graded copy of the SA mega key. :cloud9: I was undecided between my IH #1 and a Showcase #4 CGC 8.0, so I asked for boardie assistance to help make my choice.

(thumbs u Awesome pick up on that hulk 1 congrats. All that matters in the end is that you are happy with your purchase, and you will certainly have no problem reselling that in the future if you should ever decide to. That's the beauty of the blue chip keys, there will always be a buyer in all grades and all condition types.

-J.

Thanks! That is truly all that matters in the end. (thumbs u

Words of wisdom my bro! :preach:lol

Edited by jaja-mon12

I also saw the multiple Hulk #1 books that HighGradeComics (Bob Storms, one of the best dealers btw) had last month at SDCC. This included the 9.0 and two 7.5's (the asking prices on the 7.5's were $42,000 each).

As you note, the 9.0 sold as did one of the 7.5's (the other 7.5 apparently sold after the show). The 7.5's were interesting as one presented better than its counterpart, while the other copy had nicer PQ.

With Hulk #1 and Strange Tales #110 both being hot books and escalating rapidly in price, it's really no surprise that they sell pretty quickly regardless. It should be interesting to look back years down the road (once the hype subsides) to see how they've held their comparative values when it comes to resale.

Regardless, both are great books!

I don't think the "hype" on Hulk 181 will ever subside. The first appearance of Wolverine, arguably, one of the most popular comic book characters of all, will always command collectors' interests.

Dr. Strange, on the other hand, was a cult figure, for a long time. Great series and great character and one of the most innovative in the Marvel Universe. I recall back in the 1970s I had a girlfriend who didn't particularly love comic books but always enjoyed reading Dr. Strange. Now that the character has found popularity among mainstream audiences and collectors, I think, ST 110 is here to stay.

I don't think the "hype" on Hulk 181 will ever subside. The first appearance of Wolverine, arguably, one of the most popular comic book characters of all, will always command collectors' interests.

Hi Steve, I think you misread - it's Hulk #1, not Hulk #181.

Missed you at SDCC (I did see Eric)...

Oops. My error. I'll refrain, then, from, commenting on that issue as I'm not aware of any hype on that book. Anyway, I'll take a ST 110 and all early issues of the character because I much prefer the concept Finally purchased a copy a year ago from a board member. Will have to scan it one day.

Oops. My error. I'll refrain, then, from, commenting on that issue as I'm not aware of any hype on that book. Anyway, I'll take a ST 110 and all early issues of the character because I much prefer the concept Finally purchased a copy a year ago from a board member. Will have to scan it one day.

There is a lot of hype on H1. It is, however, not because anything happened that made Hulk more popular with the audience..it is hype because a HG copy sold for a lot.

There is a lot of hype on H1. It is, however, not because anything happened that made Hulk more popular with the audience..it is hype because a HG copy sold for a lot.

I beg to differ good buddy! (tsk):P

The recent CC brokered sale is only one of many reasons IH #1 is in high demand! :headbang:

Just to shed light on a few: hm

1. IH #1 was HOT even before the CC brokered sale of $320K, but it definitely didn't hurt to have a publicized sale of this magnitude. (worship)

2. IH #1 is the 1st or 2nd rarest Marvel SA mega key along with TTA #27, especially in high grade.

3. Many collectors who can't afford a high grade copy of AF #15 will happily accept a high grade IH #1 if they can find it. Some hardcore Hulk lovers (myself included) will do this anyway simply because of the longtime love they have for the character. However, as we both know even the high grade IH #1's will be out of reach soon for many. :facepalm::cry:

4. Josh Whedon's portrayal of the Hulk in the 1st Avengers movie has catapulted the character to new found popularity and it will grow even more so with the Hulk's rumored major role in the Avengers: Age of Ultron movie in 2015! :headbang:

The Hulk & IH #1 has been riding high in recent years and will continue to do so. :banana: Many OG collectors can attest to this and with the IH #1 CGC 9.2 currently on the CC Event Auction we'll see if the initial CC brokered sale was a one-time thing or not. (shrug)

I don't think it's hype, but you do raise a good point though! (thumbs u

Strange Tales 110 has not come even close to peeking. Just check out all GOTG first appearances going for crazy coin right now. When the movie hits theatres watch out, prices will skyrocket!

Strange Tales 110 has not come even close to peeking. Just check out all GOTG first appearances going for crazy coin right now. When the movie hits theatres watch out, prices will skyrocket!

lol Thay already have! (thumbs u

If the question is ..which will be the most expensive book in 2 years...then the answer obviously is 110.

However, if the question is (which I think it is) which will increase the most in percentages...then I think they are both good bets. 110 is first appearance so will always be more worth...However 169 is first issue in own title (like asm 1) and has a phenomenal cover. So in terms of percentage appreciation...hard to say which is a better deal.