• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STRANGE TALES #110 Club!
9 9

1,322 posts in this topic

Wow, the St110 went for $1000 less than the last sale of an 8.0. Did the 1 bindery chip do that?

Cream to off-white pages.

Going to have to disagree on that, and it certainly would not be a $1,000 hit. That book looks just as bright as any I've seen. Plus books with "CR/OW" on the label routinely set new "GPA highs" all the time. I'm betting that missing paper on the right hand side, which directly impacts eye appeal, had more people questioning if it was a legitimate 8.0 than anything else. Still a very good deal for the buyer.

-J.

Wow, the St110 went for $1000 less than the last sale of an 8.0. Did the 1 bindery chip do that?

Cream to off-white pages.

Going to have to disagree on that, and it certainly would not be a $1,000 hit. That book looks just as bright as any I've seen. Plus books with "CR/OW" on the label routinely set new "GPA highs" all the time. I'm betting that missing paper on the right hand side, which directly impacts eye appeal, had more people questioning if it was a legitimate 8.0 than anything else. Still a very good deal for the buyer.

-J.

This ^ along with the CR/OW pages is why I passed on it. hm As you stated, still a nice deal for the buyer. (thumbs u

C/OW for SA Marvels = death knell.

:roflmao: Except when they're setting GPA highs. Show me any Marvel SA mega key and I will show you comparable sales across most, if not all grades with little to no differences in price based on the "PQ" on the label. Marvel chipping is another story, but too many collectors take the "PQ" on the label with a grain of salt for it to actually and consistently affect prices. (thumbs u

-J.

:roflmao: Sometimes I will give in depending on the grade & rarity of the mega key issue. hm If it was a CGC 9.0, I most likely would have bid on it. (thumbs u

An 8.0 on the other hand is more commonplace and therefore is not as a necessity to me. (shrug)

Also, I am more inclined to accept CR or CR/OW pages for primarily GA books. (thumbs u

Edited by jaja-mon12

:roflmao: Sometimes I will give in depending on the grade & rarity of the mega key issue. hm If it was a CGC 9.0, I most likely would have bid on it. (thumbs u

An 8.0 on the other hand is more commonplace and therefore is not as a necessity to me. (shrug)

Also, I am more inclined to accept CR or CR/OW pages for primarily GA books. (thumbs u

Six g's is a pretty expensive "death knell". lol. Ridiculous.

-J.

-J.

Yeah it is lol , but ST #110 is a HOT commodity right now so it doesn't matter too much at all about PQ! (shrug)

-J.

Yeah it is lol , but ST #110 is a HOT commodity right now so it doesn't matter too much at all about PQ! (shrug)

True that. And that's always been my point more or less....Hot books, rare books, big keys, the "PQ" on the label matters not, as there are more than enough buyers for the book regardless.

-J.

It would certainly be a surprise to the major dealers that I know to find out that page quality doesn't significantly impact sale prices on SA Marvel keys. The ones I talk with about consigning books for sale all want to know what the page quality is before estimating what they expect to be able to sell them for. It seems to matter to their customer base.

-J.

True that. And that's always been my point more or less....Hot books, rare books, big keys, the "PQ" on the label matters not, as there are more than enough buyers for the book regardless.

-J.

I agree totally! (thumbs u

You mentioned Marvel chipping earlier. Do you think this has the same affect on those hot books, rare books, mega keys etc? hm

It would certainly be a surprise to the major dealers that I know to find out that page quality doesn't significantly impact sale prices on SA Marvel keys. The ones I talk with about consigning books for sale all want to know what the page quality is before estimating what they expect to be able to sell them for. It seems to matter to their customer base.

It matters to some it doesn't matter to the rest. Some might be willing to pay a "premium" for a certain "PQ" on the label, some buy the book and not the label. The lack of consistency and the loosey-goosey nature in CGC's "PQ grading" is ultimately the great equalizer in price when spread across enough sales.

-J.

It matters to some it doesn't matter to the rest. Some might be willing to pay a "premium" for a certain "PQ" numerical grade on the label, some buy the book and not the label. The lack of consistency and the loosey-goosey nature in CGC's "PQ numerical grading" is ultimately the great equalizer in price when spread across enough sales.

-J.

Fixed

As for the value of outstanding page quality, one has to be able to look inside comic books to see it. Some choose to collect comic book covers, others comic books.

-J.

-J.

I agree totally! (thumbs u

You mentioned Marvel chipping earlier. Do you think this has the same affect on those hot books, rare books, mega keys etc? hm

Marvel chipping does seem to hit books rather consistently on price regardless of the book, as it does directly impact eye appeal, unlike "PQ" which is unseen and notoriously inconsistent even upon resubs of the same book. The lower the grade, the less impact chipping seems to have on overall price. But again, the hotter, rarer, bigger the book, the more buyers you'll have and it only takes one of them to pull the trigger. (thumbs u

-J.

It matters to some it doesn't matter to the rest. Some might be willing to pay a "premium" for a certain "PQ" numerical grade on the label, some buy the book and not the label. The lack of consistency and the loosey-goosey nature in CGC's "PQ numerical grading" is ultimately the great equalizer in price when spread across enough sales.

-J.

Fixed

As for the value of outstanding page quality, one has to be able to look inside comic books to see it. Some choose to collect comic book covers, others comic books.

lol I also agree with your edits. ;)

-J.