• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

If you believe that, I think you don't have a grasp on the Archie market.

But, you are correct, I was looking at a several year investment horizon. 20+ years, I don't have the slightest idea what the comic market will bring...

hasn't been relevant to new readers in 25+ years.

This just isn't true. Archies are pretty much the only books still available outside the ghetto of the comic book specialty shop. They also have been getting significant press with Kevin Keller and the Life with Archie series. I don't really care where the prices go since I plan to die with my collection. But, I don't think Archie is a dead property at all...

But, as I said, I really have no idea what the long term outlook is for comics as an investment. And, if it comes down to it that the only books that will be worth anything are the ones featuring characters that have been in major motion pictures, that's OK with me (shrug)

I can tell you though, that over the past 30 years, major Archie books have performed as well as, or better than, pretty much anything else, including HG key Marvels.

But, you are correct, I was looking at a several year investment horizon. 20+ years, I don't have the slightest idea what the comic market will bring...

Granted, many people will buy and sell Archie comics in the next 15 years. I think Archie has been around for about 74 years now, but hasn't been relevant to new readers in 25+ years.

I just look at the character and where the exposure is on a daily basis. The reality is that there just isn't any. The main delivery was/is in a dead medium and there isn't a whole lot to introduce the character to any "new users." Just like many collectibles before it, the character has great value when the purchasing majority sees relevance and wants to collect. When the purchasing majority shifts, so will the value.

Honestly, if there isn't a significant intervention, he will disappear (among many other characters). Grasp on the market or not.

C'mon dude! Archie is firmly rooted in our culture.I went to a grocery store just today,and there was Archie books at the counter.

I am sorry, I just don't see it.

But I can also admit that my opinion is not the only one and if I am wrong it is a good thing (i.e. characters outside of mainstream popular media maintain relevance).

hasn't been relevant to new readers in 25+ years.

This just isn't true. Archies are pretty much the only books still available outside the ghetto of the comic book specialty shop. They also have been getting significant press with Kevin Keller and the Life with Archie series. I don't really care where the prices go since I plan to die with my collection. But, I don't think Archie is a dead property at all...

But, as I said, I really have no idea what the long term outlook is for comics as an investment. And, if it comes down to it that the only books that will be worth anything are the ones featuring characters that have been in major motion pictures, that's OK with me (shrug)

I can tell you though, that over the past 30 years, major Archie books have performed as well as, or better than, pretty much anything else, including HG key Marvels.

I appreciate the perspective. However, I am confused on input in an "investment" thread when you plan to die with your books. Do you collect them because you love them, because they are solid investments or both?

I collect them because I love them. Doesn't mean I don't understand the concept of investment, or recognize good ones when I see them...

To be clear I am not saying that, I was just interested in your collecting motivation.

I believe most of us collect what we love, even in investments. I am a fan of silver hero key books and that is a large part of my collection. But for investment books I am open to almost any title, I am just evaluating based on a 30 year payout. So I am more skeptical of characters that are highly relevant (and expensive) now, but may not necessarily be that way down the road.

I own Archie books and am an Archie fan overall. I just worry for the character, but so far I appear to be the only one on this thread.

I am curious though as to what age everyone is. Purely from an exposure standpoint I would guess most major Archie collectors are 45+.

As Steve pointed out Archie is one of the only titles that is still read by kids. Most superhero books are gotten through comic stores. Most Archie's are gotten in digest or comic form from check out lines or such. It actually makes more sense that Archie books will have more staying power than hero books.

EDIT: And I'm saying this as a Super Hero comic collector. But like most I got hooked as a youth picking up comics in the super market with my mom or at the corner candy store with my friends. Guess what comics, if any, they have there now.

Thx. I thought about each of these books and how they should appreciate this year and those the upcoming ones that follow.

The HOS and HOM books start the second great Age of Mystery/Horror. HOM 174 is the first mystery format book while 175 is the 1st App. of horror host Cain. HOS 81 is the 1st app. of horror host Abel. These books are extremely difficult to find in 9.0 or above. HOM 175 and HOS 81 also happen to have covers drawn by Neal Adams. DC Special is an interesting book and somewhat of a mystery itself since Overstreet defines this as Abel's 1st cameo but reprinted from an earlier book? I have not been able to confirm what book Overstreet is referring to.

These books are currently undervalued keys.

I collect them because I love them. Doesn't mean I don't understand the concept of investment, or recognize good ones when I see them...

My feelings/thoughts in a nutshell as well.

:)

... {HOM) 175 is the 1st App. of horror host Cain. HOS 81 is the 1st app. of horror host Abel. These books are extremely difficult to find in 9.0 or above. HOM 175 and HOS 81 also happen to have covers drawn by Neal Adams.

Here are scans of mine:

10-06-201245137PM.jpg

10-06-201245121PM.jpg

:cool:

... {HOM) 175 is the 1st App. of horror host Cain. HOS 81 is the 1st app. of horror host Abel. These books are extremely difficult to find in 9.0 or above. HOM 175 and HOS 81 also happen to have covers drawn by Neal Adams.

Here are scans of mine:

10-06-201245137PM.jpg

10-06-201245121PM.jpg

:cool:

:applause:

I don't know much about horror comics, but these are SHARP copies!

As Steve pointed out Archie is one of the only titles that is still read by kids. Most superhero books are gotten through comic stores. Most Archie's are gotten in digest or comic form from check out lines or such. It actually makes more sense that Archie books will have more staying power than hero books.

EDIT: And I'm saying this as a Super Hero comic collector. But like most I got hooked as a youth picking up comics in the super market with my mom or at the corner candy store with my friends. Guess what comics, if any, they have there now.

I will look more into this, I am going to take it as an opportunity to learn.

Thank you for the additional perspective.

Thx. I thought about each of these books and how they should appreciate this year and those the upcoming ones that follow.

The HOS and HOM books start the second great Age of Mystery/Horror. HOM 174 is the first mystery format book while 175 is the 1st App. of horror host Cain. HOS 81 is the 1st app. of horror host Abel. These books are extremely difficult to find in 9.0 or above. HOM 175 and HOS 81 also happen to have covers drawn by Neal Adams. DC Special is an interesting book and somewhat of a mystery itself since Overstreet defines this as Abel's 1st cameo but reprinted from an earlier book? I have not been able to confirm what book Overstreet is referring to.

Are they just undervalued by Overstreet, or do private sales amass most transactions and prevent GPA from being accurate as well?

I don't have a lot of experience with horror books and would be interested to know more. Do you do most of your collecting/trading at conventions, shows or shops?

FF 52 has basically doubled in value in the last several months. Does anybody really believe this is nothing more than a speculative spike and 6 to 12 months after the movie will settle back down to Earth? I personally can't believe this is a new value level that will continue to increase from here on out... (shrug)

I think the price will hold at min, maybe in a few years you could see another 30% gain, but the "easy" money is over.

Not long ago I picked up VF+ FF52 for around $200 and NM Avg 57 for $100. What I paid was chump change for a comic now days, so seems a no brainer that one could triple money in that arena at the time. Now, I have no desire to sell mine, but I anticipated them increasing in value and wanted them in the collection before Id have to pay prem such that I will need to shell out to replace my TOS 57 copy. I have always considered myself a poor comic investor, else I would have hoarded copies.

On the general topic:

Other books I have seen creep up in price in past 24 mos are ASM #1 and FF#5. The big mystery for me is Iron Man. TOS #40 is tough in grade, but seems cheap for a 2nd app and early Kirby classic. Even a nice higher Mid grade with white PQ and no chipping is not easy to find. I think JIM #84 and FF#2 suffer the same phenomenon.

I think w AF #15 in stratosphere, collectors are re-directing funds at #1. As the mega Marvel keys cont to escalate the "2nd" app books will become the new targets. I think this way because I behave this way. I can no longer afford MF #52, Adv #40, or other big GA keys I wanted for so many years, so now my $$ funnels to other target books.

High grade copies don't come up often so GPA would not be accurate. The horror/mystery genres have some incredible jewels. The Warren Frazzetta books have some of the most amazing covers of the SA. I use all the venues you mention.

I threw FF 4 and 5 into the group since these blue chip books have much room to grow. FF 4 should crack the OSPG Top 20 SA keys and replace FF 2 and ASM 2. Subby's first SA app. is a bigger key than the introduction of the Skrulls and Vulture. Doom is the greatest villian of the SA- has no where to go but up.

Alright guys and gals, looking for your opinions on what are the top ten Silver Age investment comics of 2013. Remember, these are not necessarily your favorite books, the highest value or the "rarest either." Looking for which books are likely to grow the most over the next 2-3 years.

With Man of Steel / Iron Man 3 already a success and The Wolverine / Thor- Dark World on the way - what would you buy?

To start it off, here is my first pass:

1) AMAZING FANTASY #15

2) TALES OF SUSPENSE #39

3) X-MEN #1

4) BRAVE AND THE BOLD #28

5) AVENGERS #1

6) JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #83

7) JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1

8) ADVENTURE COMICS #283

9) SHOWCASE #4

10) AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1

Well, if you're looking to grow money through comics. I don't think that's a good idea. If you;re looking to invest in something that's likely to hold or slowly grow in value, just buy the blue chips and hold for an extended period.

I will look more into this, I am going to take it as an opportunity to learn.

Thank you for the additional perspective.

I stand corrected.

IMG_1836.jpg

For those of you with children, do your kids read these books often?

Alright guys and gals, looking for your opinions on what are the top ten Silver Age investment comics of 2013. Remember, these are not necessarily your favorite books, the highest value or the "rarest either." Looking for which books are likely to grow the most over the next 2-3 years.

With Man of Steel / Iron Man 3 already a success and The Wolverine / Thor- Dark World on the way - what would you buy?

To start it off, here is my first pass:

1) AMAZING FANTASY #15

2) TALES OF SUSPENSE #39

3) X-MEN #1

4) BRAVE AND THE BOLD #28

5) AVENGERS #1

6) JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #83

7) JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1

8) ADVENTURE COMICS #283

9) SHOWCASE #4

10) AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1

Well, if you're looking to grow money through comics. I don't think that's a good idea. If you;re looking to invest in something that's likely to hold or slowly grow in value, just buy the blue chips and hold for an extended period.

I agree, collecting these would be a long-term safer investment play.

High grade copies don't come up often so GPA would not be accurate. The horror/mystery genres have some incredible jewels. The Warren Frazzetta books have some of the most amazing covers of the SA. I use all the venues you mention.

I threw FF 4 and 5 into the group since these blue chip books have much room to grow. FF 4 should crack the OSPG Top 20 SA keys and replace FF 2 and ASM 2. Subby's first SA app. is a bigger key than the introduction of the Skrulls and Vulture. Doom is the greatest villian of the SA- has no where to go but up.

Doom is definitely a solid investment and I agree on their value versus room to grow.

Are you a Subby fan?

FF 52 has basically doubled in value in the last several months. Does anybody really believe this is nothing more than a speculative spike and 6 to 12 months after the movie will settle back down to Earth? I personally can't believe this is a new value level that will continue to increase from here on out... (shrug)

I think the price will hold at min, maybe in a few years you could see another 30% gain, but the "easy" money is over.

Not long ago I picked up VF+ FF52 for around $200 and NM Avg 57 for $100. What I paid was chump change for a comic now days, so seems a no brainer that one could triple money in that arena at the time. Now, I have no desire to sell mine, but I anticipated them increasing in value and wanted them in the collection before Id have to pay prem such that I will need to shell out to replace my TOS 57 copy. I have always considered myself a poor comic investor, else I would have hoarded copies.

On the general topic:

Other books I have seen creep up in price in past 24 mos are ASM #1 and FF#5. The big mystery for me is Iron Man. TOS #40 is tough in grade, but seems cheap for a 2nd app and early Kirby classic. Even a nice higher Mid grade with white PQ and no chipping is not easy to find. I think JIM #84 and FF#2 suffer the same phenomenon.

I think w AF #15 in stratosphere, collectors are re-directing funds at #1. As the mega Marvel keys cont to escalate the "2nd" app books will become the new targets. I think this way because I behave this way. I can no longer afford MF #52, Adv #40, or other big GA keys I wanted for so many years, so now my $$ funnels to other target books.

Good Point - I am also a fan of the 2nd appearance (or first solo title) collecting. These books have significance and are a solid bet on the already uber popular characters.

Never really cared for Namor but I recognize how significant he was to the early SA of Marvel. Where would the Marvel Age have gone without Doom and Namor at the very beginning?