• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,027 posts in this topic

Rich/Mysterio,

I don't know what old widow you're robbin' blind, but I'm jealous.

Or did you find the secret burial yard of pre-hero comics?

I did a quick survey from the census a while ago and figured out that the ST

and JIM pre-heroes are about half as common as ToS and TtA in higher grades.

I presume that's due to the #1 start to the latter two. Any thoughts?

Thanks, I picked up another gem tonight that I likely overpaid a bit for but I couldn't pass it up. Will post a pic shortly.

I think the earlier start for JIM and ST is definitely a factor in the number of higher grade issues. When you consider that TOS & TTA started up when ST and JIM had been going for 60+ issues already you will definitely see a difference there. Also I'm sure that the early JIM and ST issues had fairly low print runs, as all comics in the 1950's late pre-code and early post-code era were feeling the effects of the comics implosion after the Senate hearings, etc.

Rich/Mysterio,

Thanks, I picked up another gem tonight that I likely overpaid a bit for but I couldn't pass it up. Will post a pic shortly.

I think the earlier start for JIM and ST is definitely a factor in the number of higher grade issues. When you consider that TOS & TTA started up when ST and JIM had been going for 60+ issues already you will definitely see a difference there. Also I'm sure that the early JIM and ST issues had fairly low print runs, as all comics in the 1950's late pre-code and early post-code era were feeling the effects of the comics implosion after the Senate hearings, etc.

Strange Tales continued intermittent publication after the 1957 Atlas implosion while JIM was basically shut down (one issue in mid-58) until it was re-started coincident with the initiation of Marvel Comics. It's possible they used old sales figures to plan the print runs of JIM and ST while acting optimistically with TOS and TTA, but I've never heard that or seen any figures.

Rich/Mysterio,

Strange Tales continued intermittent publication after the 1957 Atlas implosion while JIM was basically shut down (one issue in mid-58) until it was re-started coincident with the initiation of Marvel Comics. It's possible they used old sales figures to plan the print runs of JIM and ST while acting optimistically with TOS and TTA, but I've never heard that or seen any figures.

Does that explain why I just got a Journey into mystery #48 graded and it came back a 6.5 dated 8/57 instead of dated 7/57? Did they reprint the same book two consecutive months and then take the year long break?

Is it the only double issue in the run?

Rich/Mysterio,

Does that explain why I just got a Journey into mystery #48 graded and it came back a 6.5 dated 8/57 instead of dated 7/57? Did they reprint the same book two consecutive months and then take the year long break?

Is it the only double issue in the run?

Double printings occur but are unusual. I assume they printed it once but with a August pull date on the cover.

My CGC copy of JIM #48 is dated 7/57 on the CGC label, but has "AUG" printed on the cover. It could be a typo on the label and in CGC's records, but on the census CGC does list both print dates...

Sounds like a typo on the label. Checking GCD and AtlasTales, they both call it an August issue so unless there's something you know from reading your copy I would go with their information over CGCs.

My CGC copy of JIM #48 is dated 7/57 on the CGC label, but has "AUG" printed on the cover. It could be a typo on the label and in CGC's records, but on the census CGC does list both print dates...

Sounds like a typo on the label. Checking GCD and AtlasTales, they both call it an August issue so unless there's something you know from reading your copy I would go with their information over CGCs.

And CGC makes worse mistakes than this on labels. I just took a book for reslabbing when I was at WW Austin so a label mistake could be fixed. They had my TOS #99 labelled as a TTA #99, which would seem to be an easy thing to get right... doh! Missing something as tiny as a pub date would be child's play.

Here's a shot of the JIM 54 I got for Lewis a few months ago....his pic, not mine, and it's crooked. Sorry. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

jim54.jpg

(worship)

I love that cover. Nice!

DR.X

Edited by DR.X

Speaking of TTA... why did that #3 in 7.0 sell for $1,500 on CLINK? It's a heckuva book and I'd love to have it... but why did that book fetch so much?

Not easy to find those early numbers in higher grades. I was interested, but not after it climbed above $500, and I too never expected it to climb that high. Did a boardie get it? I know that that is one of the few holes for Cheetah and Korvac Saga...