• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

Yo, yo, yo! Props to the Prototypes....

strangetales78cgc.jpg

is the shadow on the wall the Antman "prototype"???

you can see kirby in the faces and poses of the street people, but that "Martian" definitely has the Ditko "hairline" going........... grin.gif

sorry if this one and the next couple are repeats but i already have them scanned. i'll try and toss a couple more on the scanner in a bit.

720578-ST_80sm.jpg

720578-ST_80sm.jpg.8dc807dd262aa0ea98579fc13a6a9261.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

here's the followup to ST 80

720579-ST_85sm.jpg

720579-ST_85sm.jpg.cc0b884c79d63bf1a0132f39c68614e8.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

I suppose the marking would turn off the hardcore SA collectors but I'm mostly 50s and earlier so they bother me not in the least. These are both White Mountain copies from Bob Overstreet's collection. I had them, let them get away (good trades for all concerned), and then had to wait years to re-acquire. it was painful, *sniffle*; i don't really want to talk about it right now.

I suppose the marking would turn off the hardcore SA collectors but I'm mostly 50s and earlier so they bother me not in the least. These are both White Mountain copies from Bob Overstreet's collection. I had them, let them get away (good trades for all concerned), and then had to wait years to re-acquire. it was painful, *sniffle*; i don't really want to talk about it right now.

But you got 'em back home where they belong! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Poster: sfilosa

Subject: Re: Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!

Beautiful books!!!!!

Are you planning on getting them CGC'd?

if you owned a Degas, would you put it behind a couple layers of glass to dim the colors and obscure the details?

i don't mean to give you a hard time, here's my thoughts from another thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=717952&page=0&fpart=4&vc=1

I do occasionally take the books out for my own viewing and for guests. It's always amazing to me when you have the privelege of seeing the best copies in all their glory. As pretty as they look in the mylar, they look so more stunning out of it. Nor can the scans do them justice -- there are colors on the book that just don't come out right. (My brother the photographs that I have of a number of my books as opposed to scans. Next to the real thing, I'm partial to scans.)

Mylar has a grayish-yellow cast to it, so it is especially deadly to books where red and orange predominate. On a number of occasions I've first shown a person a book nested in a couple mylars, getting a ho-hum response. Upon taking it out, it's always fun to see their reaction. I cannot tell you how many times I've gasped when a fellow collector, going above and beyond the call of duty, takes a Mile High, San Franciscos, or Allentowns out of the mylar. Comics are too cool to be caged -- they were meant to roam free!

A couple more scans to follow.

JIM 60

721058-JIM60.jpg

721058-JIM60.jpg.93b23ea7a220928833bebceac75a5d1b.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

ST 97

I must admit that I would never have owned these but for the encouragement and assistance of a couple fellow collectors.

This image is not quite as good as my other scans as I didn't take the book out of the mylar.

721067-ST97.jpg

721067-ST97.jpg.aadda4d6957904ff6912b8d828ce3b28.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Some more beauties!!!! thumbsup2.gif

I definitely agree that seeing these in all their glory (i.e. not in plastic) is a whole different experience. I have several White Mountains and Circle 8's that I bought pre-CGC and seeing the cover gloss 3-D look is amazing.

That's also why I do love PEDIGREE BOOKS. Usually, they have LIKE NEW GLOSS and that's the extra kick that makes them worth the premium to me. grin.gif