• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

dum dee dum dee dum .... let's see, what else do we have around here..... Oh, here's a recent acquisition from the vault:

suspense9.jpg

You got to love how so often, the lowly humans seemed to KNOW the name of the monster! grin.gif "It's DIABLO!!"

How do they KNOW this stuff?

And now, after being a firm pre-code horror collector, then going to DC/Charlton BA horror collector, the more I see of the pre-heroes (which I used to have a large percentage of in the late 80's early 90's) I want to start garnering the big monsters again!

Heaven Help Pov! crazy.gifgrin.gif

Can I bring my beaters in to play too?

I bought these really cheap when I was younger and didn't care about condition (as if you couldn't tell) but I do so love those monsters and wanted to contribute to this wonderful thread!

661005-StrangeTales%2369.jpg

589a8d2a69c44_661005-StrangeTales69.jpg.8f89bab8000640c736b1b105ff6e9365.jpg

Jayman,

Those are all in about the same shape as my meager collection of pre-hero books, even low-grade copies aren't dirt cheap anymore frown.gif

Yeah no kidding! I have some later issues with heros; the Sub-Mariner vs Torch and the FF vs Mad Thinker and also the Fin Fang Foom issue but that's been posted before. I picked these up in the early 80's at a flea market. They were my third choice, no.1 being a beautiful copy of Famous Monsters # 13 for $100 that I really wanted but couldn't afford, no.2 a copy of Famous Monsters # 2 for $50 but had a coupon clipped so I couldn't do it, then no.3 a longbox full of old beat up Marvels. Believe me beat up, I at least picked out ones that had whole covers attached!

You got to love how so often, the lowly humans seemed to KNOW the name of the monster! grin.gif "It's DIABLO!!"

27_laughing.gif I was thinking the same thing! How these unsuspecting people were able to realize in seconds that they were being chased by Uklatrebb the Odorous is...well, a little mystifying. Ah, the magic and wonder of comics! smile.gif

Thanks to everyone for sharing the covers, too. Good stuff!

27_laughing.gif I was thinking the same thing! How these unsuspecting people were able to realize in seconds that they were being chased by Uklatrebb the Odorous is...well, a little mystifying. Ah, the magic and wonder of comics! smile.gif

Thanks to everyone for sharing the covers, too. Good stuff!

27_laughing.gif

You would think if they were that well-informed about the monster, they would be able to mount a better defense. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi all,

Strange Tales 100 has already been posted in this thread, but I thought I'd show off my copy, which also happens to be my very first pre-hero Marvel. Thanks to jeffreykli for setting me up with this low mid-grade beauty. cloud9.gif

ST_100_fr-600sm.jpg