• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

Thanks, I only need to slab my raw #1 now to have a completed 1-38 set in the TOS registry. Could not have ever imagined when I started out that I could get to this point.

TALE SUSP 1 photo TOS1.jpg

wow congrats Rick :)

Thanks, I only need to slab my raw #1 now to have a completed 1-38 set in the TOS registry. Could not have ever imagined when I started out that I could get to this point.

TALE SUSP 1 photo TOS1.jpg

You have the #1 registry set even without slabbing the #1 :o

So true about the #98. It boggles my mind how hard it is to find copies of early Strange Tales and Journey Into Mystery issues. Has there ever been a high grade find? I did a quick search on EBay for the first 20 issues of Strange Tales and nothing came up for half of them. :o

J66pencefc.jpg

So true about the #98. It boggles my mind how hard it is to find copies of early Strange Tales and Journey Into Mystery issues. Has there ever been a high grade find? I did a quick search on EBay for the first 20 issues of Strange Tales and nothing came up for half of them. :o

J66pencefc.jpg

There have been a few HG collections of ST and JIM from the River City, Northford and Bethlehem pedigreed collections. Another tremendous collection surfaced in 1987 that few know about. It was referred to as the "Levine High II Collection". Philip Levine was (is) a book dealer in New Jersey and offered almost complete pre-code runs of most Atlas horror titles all in very, very high grade. This collection was not pedigreed and preceded CGC, so, all were raw copies. I was only able to pick up a ST # 11 and some other various issues from the other titles. The ST 11 slabbed out to a 9.4, not pressed. Needless to say, it was one of those moments in time were you wished you could have done more.

Didn't the Spokane collection have a number of high grade pre-code STs and JIMs?

Did books from the Levine collection have anything to distinguish them, apart from the phenomenal condition? Any idea if tranches of the collection were retained by a handful of collectors, or whether they were dispersed into the market?

Didn't the Spokane collection have a number of high grade pre-code STs and JIMs?

Strange Tales 1,6,7,8,9 of varying grades.

JIM 1,2

I found out about the Levine collection through an advertisement in the weekly,at that time, Comic Buyers Guide. I was getting my weekly issue mailed first class and still by the time I inquired about available books, many were already gone. It was a feeding frenzy even back then. Do not have any info as to the dispersement of the collection. The issues I have do not have any unique markings. Chances are many very HG slabbed Atlas horror books in the census not from known pedigreed collections maybe from that collection.

White Mountain will often be the best copy. As for Circle 8, not sure..... but I've become a big fan of the ped after picking up a few Atlas Horror and Westerns that are fresh and fantastic..... I'd probably buy a Circle 8 sight unseen.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Strange Tales 1,6,7,8,9 of varying grades.

JIM 1,2

Not a heck of a lot unfortunately.

Here is one...the only one higher, the 9.2 is the WM copy.

st8_zpsd5383fe2.jpg

Edited by Johnny545

So, for Strange Tales #8 we have the top three copies:

9.2 White Mountain

9.0 Spokane

8.5 Northford (other 8.5 is not a ped, has a big miswrap)

Gotta love those peds.

White Mountain will often be the best copy. As for Circle 8, not sure..... but I've become a big fan of the ped after picking up a few Atlas Horror and Westerns that are fresh and fantastic..... I'd probably buy a Circle 8 sight unseen.... GOD BLESS...

I believe "Nova Scotia" may have some nice pre-hero books as well.

I may be wrong though, I know it holds some nice DC titles in the era.

These are just wonderful to look at, thanks for sharing the collection, guys!

My wheel house for grades on pre-hero books is around 6.0 to 7.0.

Prices seem to soar sky high once 8.0 or higher comes along.

This is a genre worth collecting for eye appeal, especially if you collect other

books too.

...I've yet to own a Nova Scotia..... so I don't actually know firsthand. I've found some peds to have fairly significant cover tanning.... which I'm not fond of. Metro has some real nice Nova Scotias from the D.C. Sci Fy/ Fantasy genre..... several Kirby's...... and I've been tempted. GOD BLESS...

What about the White Mountain and Circle8 peds?

How do they rank in the pre-hero issues?

While I've seen a number of Circle 8 post-code Atlas issues, I can't recall seeing pre-heros nor have I heard of there being any. It was a very large find so it's possible there were some.

WorldofFantasy7.jpg