• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

Although that article jumped the gun the other day on the billion dollar threshold being crossed, by end of this weekend it will definitely be there.

ZlHMI21.png

Only $9.93 MM more.

Have a bunch of people in this forum purchased a bunch of disney stock or something?

I could give a flying F what movies do in the box office. People seeing movies is like people taking surveys in the mall. You can't take it seriously.

Okay, now that just makes too much sense.

Have a bunch of people in this forum purchased a bunch of disney stock or something?

I could give a flying F what movies do in the box office. People seeing movies is like people taking surveys in the mall. You can't take it seriously.

Okay, now that just makes too much sense.

You agreeing with me is helping me not make friends

Haha Nice one..

"Die-Hard level superhero flick"

What does that even mean?

Geez, you take 50 year old funny book characters in brightly colored tights, put them in a superhero movie that scores 92% from critics and 91% from fans (the first Avengers movie), meaning it's critically received, and on top of that makes over a BILLION dollars world wide...

...and still, some guy in the back row stands up and says, "Well... it's no Die Hard!"

:facepalm:

You're 'interpretation' of my post: :facepalm:

You wrote: "As a subgenre of action movies, we still don't have a Die Hard-level super-hero flick. Here's hoping one comes along."

How exactly did I misinterpret that?

Context. I've continually said that I've enjoyed these movies for what they are: money-making machines that are a great (one-time) ride. I also at times 'geek-out' at the different comic characters, sub-plots, interpretations, easter eggs, etc. that we get to experience as comic fans.

In a second post on the same thread, I wrote:

Who knows? Doesn't have to be Marvel or even DC. I think Marvel with Feige as the Grand Poobah is too formulaic to do something really great. Their movies are really good for what they want them to be (re: make money and create a connected universe), but there may not be enough room for something truly extraordinary.

IMO, none of these movies have been truly extraordinary or meaningful. I used Die Hard as an example because it is, IMO, the finest action flick ever created. Stands up against the test time and repeat viewings over and over again.

Now, we've had some really good comic-inspired movies such as Road to Perdition, but I wouldn't put that into the 'super-hero' genre.

Now, these are all, admittedly, my opinions, so perhaps you can quote me as saying, quietly to my friend sitting next to me, 'that was a pretty cool flick, but it certainly ain't Die Hard'. I'm still patiently awaiting a super-her masterpiece. Context, y'see?

lkmdj.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

finally saw it with my 9.5 year old

went to the 3D one because that was what was playing at 10:30, regular version was at 1130, too late

$21 for the adult, $17.25 for the child. in brooklyn, not even manhattan. that is frigging insane. and the 3D was nothing special at all.

the movie was a fun romp and all, but criminey, that's a lot of money. what if it was the whole family and we had another kid? (so, 5 total, the size of my family growing up...)

someone making $12 an hour who wants to take the family to the movies is going to blow a day+ of wages.

i understand these prices are lower in other places and maybe a matinee is cheaper and one does not need to go the 3D route for an extra few bucks, but golly, it is a lot. plus $8.50 for a large popcorn. YOU KNOW I got the free re-fill on the way out and now we have a big bag of disgusting day old popcorn!

Saw this Sunday on opening weekend, and unlike the first Avengers flick I have no desire to go see it again in the theatres. Looking at the comic book movie schedule I don't think there is anything coming out till next years Cap movie that will make me go to the movies again.

went to the 3D one because that was what was playing at 10:30, regular version was at 1130, too late

$21 for the adult, $17.25 for the child. in brooklyn, not even manhattan. that is frigging insane. and the 3D was nothing special at all.

the movie was a fun romp and all, but criminey, that's a lot of money. what if it was the whole family and we had another kid? (so, 5 total, the size of my family growing up...)

someone making $12 an hour who wants to take the family to the movies is going to blow a day+ of wages.

i understand these prices are lower in other places and maybe a matinee is cheaper and one does not need to go the 3D route for an extra few bucks, but golly, it is a lot. plus $8.50 for a large popcorn. YOU KNOW I got the free re-fill on the way out and now we have a big bag of disgusting day old popcorn!

Those are some crazy prices...was it for a massive IMAX like screen? I paid $14 for my admission but wasn't 3D.

I bought 6 tickets for todays showing (paid $80 for $25x4 visa gift cards) at Fandango...if you have a Visa Signature card you can get 20% off, which is still a lot but ended up getting 2 free tickets for another movie later on.

Paid $7 for my both tuesday night tickets (saw it twice since my brothers wanted to go the second time) - anything more than that I might have been disappointed in the movie (good for a marvel movie, but man, wasn't a 'good' movie technically and don't think i would re-watch it again except for maybe the Hulkbuster scene).

We paid $6 each for our matinee...I guess we have it easy down here. :)

Ours are $5 with a free tub of popcorn.

Wow where do you live?

I remember as a kid my grandmothers theater had a bag night. You could buy matinee ticket and the largest bag you wanted. They'd fill it with popcorn.

i think it has already been stated in this thread. i always watch the box office results and i always hope the funny book movies do well. not that it puts money in my pocket but it does let me know that there will be more comic book movies.

looking forward to the valiant movies that they say are going to be filmed.

the more these movies bank the more movies they will make.

that is why box office take matters to me and to most.

We paid $6 each for our matinee...I guess we have it easy down here. :)

Ours are $5 with a free tub of popcorn.

Wow where do you live?

I remember as a kid my grandmothers theater had a bag night. You could buy matinee ticket and the largest bag you wanted. They'd fill it with popcorn.

Non mega chain family owned theater.

Die Hard : tough, New York policeman shoots his way around a skyscraper.

Dredd : tough, Mega City policeman shoots his way around a skyscraper-like tenement.

Both are great action films.

Dredd : tough, Mega City policeman shoots his way around a skyscraper-like tenement.

Die Hard is better.

Die Hard is better.

Coming from the Live Free or Die Hard state of NH, I'm gonna go with John McClane myself too. (thumbs u

But, Dredd was very well done. Actually one of the best funnybook movies.

Die Hard is better.

Coming from the Live Free or Die Hard state of NH, I'm gonna go with John McClane myself too. (thumbs u

I like Dredd, I just thought it was too one dimensional for most of its running time.

Die Hard is better.

I like Dredd, I just thought it was too one dimensional for most of its running time.

I actually liked that emotionless tone. It was like Dredd was just doing his procedural duty taking out the scum one by one. Part of the job, to remain disconnected. It was like he was dead. Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headley were the monkey-wrenches to help him rediscover his humanity. I don't want to draw comparisons to Wall-E ( lol ) so, I'll use The Road Warrior instead.