• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August CLink Focused Auction Thread

210 posts in this topic

Of all the Atlas Horror and/or Sci Fi titles and all the books in those titles (hundreds), there are a handful of books that have ever been graded 9.6...so this Uncanny Tales is a true freak. No surprise it is a Northford.

Here is another freak that predates the Uncanny Tales by a few years and truly pre-code:

MT111_zpsb51a8267.jpg

Of all the Atlas Horror and/or Sci Fi titles and all the books in those titles (hundreds), there are less five books that have ever been graded 9.6...so this Uncanny Tales is a true freak. No surprise it is a Northford.

Here is another freak that predates the Uncanny Tales by a few years and truly pre-code:

MT111_zpsb51a8267.jpg

That is one amazing book!

Although there are eight copies on the census as opposed to only five copies of Cinderella Love 25 -- another classic Baker cover. The highest CL 25 is 7.5 and next are two 5.5s. There is a GE 12 8.0 out there.

I would have to agree, though, that if there were a CL 25 7.0 also up in this auction, the GE 12 would go higher.

Some info on the GCE 12 in 8.0.

It's the Lloyd Jacquet copy and has Lt/cream pages. Because of the pages it looks near mint. It came up on ebay several years ago. I was an under-bidder but lost out. The winner was Steve Fischler.

The copy looks way better than the 7.0. and is probably the best in existence,

Looking at GPA is kind of confusing. They have two 8.0s being sold in 2007. One in May for $4.5K and one in October for $6.8 K. The one sold in October is labeled "file copy." I assume that's the Jacquet copy. Only one 8.0 on the census though. hm

Although there are eight copies on the census as opposed to only five copies of Cinderella Love 25 -- another classic Baker cover. The highest CL 25 is 7.5 and next are two 5.5s. There is a GE 12 8.0 out there.

I would have to agree, though, that if there were a CL 25 7.0 also up in this auction, the GE 12 would go higher.

It's the Lloyd Jacquet copy and has Lt/cream pages. Because of the pages it looks near mint. It came up on ebay several years ago. I was an under-bidder but lost out. The winner was Steve Fischler.

Looking at GPA is kind of confusing. They have two 8.0s being sold in 2007. One in May for $4.5K and one in October for $6.8 K. The one sold in October is labeled "file copy." I assume that's the Jacquet copy. Only one 8.0 on the census though. hm

Could be someone bought the 8.0, cracked it out for a resub, but neglected to have the first census entry deleted.

As a bit of comparison out of the entire Strange Tales run 1-100 there is NOT A SINGLE BOOK GRADED 9.6! NOT ONE.

Insanely rare!

Could be someone bought the 8.0, cracked it out for a resub, but neglected to have the first census entry deleted.

The Oct. copy has the Jacquet File Copy on the label. CGC knew that when grading it. The previous copy was not labelled as such, so it sounds like thay are different. Still confusing.

The Oct. copy has the Jacquet File Copy on the label. CGC knew that when grading it. The previous copy was not labelled as such, so it sounds like thay are different. Still confusing.

Could be somebody had another 8.0 but preferred to have it raw & cracked it out. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Whenever I look at the census, I always figure there could be just as many raw copies out there in any given grade, even for big-ticket books, so I always take "highest-graded," "2nd-highest-graded," etc. with a grain of salt.

This is one of my favorites in the auction. Freak of nature!

This book is just crazy. The mids 50's was a complete dead zone in comic history so for it to survive for almost 60 years in brand new like condition blows my mind.

As a bit of comparison out of the entire Strange Tales run 1-100 there is NOT A SINGLE BOOK GRADED 9.6! NOT ONE.

Insanely rare!

Great point. (thumbs u

Could be somebody had another 8.0 but preferred to have it raw & cracked it out. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Whenever I look at the census, I always figure there could be just as many raw copies out there in any given grade, even for big-ticket books, so I always take "highest-graded," "2nd-highest-graded," etc. with a grain of salt.

Could be, but to knock the book off the census, he would had to have sent in the label. Not many people do that, especially if they are not having the book regraded.

Could be, but to knock the book off the census, he would had to have sent in the label. Not many people do that, especially if they are not having the book regraded.

Unless both 8.0s are owned by the same person, and he plans to sell one copy as the "single highest graded."

But there is a Goom book in the auction? That's the real question hm

Legionnaire #000002 reporting sir! :sumo:

I've heard a rumor that Goom makes a guest appearance in Giant Comics Edition 12 with the classic Baker prostitute cover. In what capacity? I'll only know once I crack that case open and find out. And if I don't like how it goes, I'll eat the book. Goom would've wanted it that way.

Sir!

The Gooms appear to be multiplying sir! The one closest to you even appears to have skipped the Googam developmental phase altogether sir! It was found terrorizing a post office near my home earlier today sir! I captured it, but for how long? For how long can we hold back the murderous intruders from Planet X?

goom.jpg

:applause:

Our only hope is to train them for the boxing ring. Ray "Goom Goom" Mancini's got that million dollar ring to it.

I'd love to pick up a Mystery Tales but have the distinct feeling a buyer from the greater Chicago area will be buying at all costs.

To me, that makes every other Atlas title more desirable. I have mystery tales on ignore, along with Thanos and Poltroon - sorry, I mean Ultron appearances.

Except Millie the Model.

Good stuff in this auction. I've got my eye on 15 books.

This one of those things that makes this hobby so cool. So many different tastes and so many different things that catch peoples' eyes. You've got 15 books that are attracting your interest and I'm not sure there is a single one that is on my radar.