• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

post your favorite romance covers
4 4

636 posts in this topic

Doorway looks a little small in relation to the guy but the perspective on the people looks ok to me. (shrug) Maybe that's just my perspective.

Ken

I'm on very shaky ground in commenting on art, but there doesn't seem to be enough room between the mother and the groom for the groom to appear as small as he does -- particularly given, as you note, he seems large relative the doorway.

In addition, our point of view seems odd. We can't be looking at them straight on, unless there are steps behind the mother leading down to the doorway, which would be a pretty unusual layout for a room. I guess we are supposed to be elevated a bit and looking down on them. Maybe there is a way to make sense of it, but it just doesn't seem well composed.

I know S&K scored a big hit with this title, but compared to our man Baker, a lot of the art sure seems weak to me.

Here's where this drawing fails. We see the ceiling which implies a low angle looking up, which is consistent with the characters, but the table looks like you're looking down on it from an elevation. The doorway should appear lower than the man from a low perspective. That and the table throws the drawing out of whack.

I dug up this old thread from a search and saw @Dr. Love comments. I stayed away from romance for a while but Baker got me to dip my toe in with some purchases recently. It seems there is so much emphasis on Baker though and almost no discussion about some other great stuff. I have been really digging these Ace painted covers and wanted to start with a nice one I got recently.

IMG_3324.JPG

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I dug up this old thread from a search and saw @Dr. Love comments. I stayed away from romance for a while but Baker got me to dip my toe in with some purchases recently. It seems there is so much emphasis on Baker though and almost no discussion about some other great stuff. I have been really digging these Ace painted covers and wanted to start with a nice one I got recently.

IMG_3324.JPG

Veronica Lake sultriness. :luhv:

4 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

For many, Baker seems to be the gateway drug leading to further interest in the romance genre.  For me it started here - a book on Harley's wall at a con.

GirlsInLove56fc100_zps20e15306.jpg

I believe Eliot was just released from the penitentiary on Tuesday. :)

On 4/19/2017 at 3:13 PM, Robot Man said:

comhoneymoonromance_zps2cueovdl.jpg

Nice! One of only two (?) 50's comics (both Romance) to feature the word 'sex' on the cover. Surprised the Crime genre does't own that distinction (or maybe it does have an example or two also?)

12 hours ago, rjpb said:

GIsweet37_zpstqf2frcs.jpg

Funny how most of the publishers had a 'house style' on their Romance line. Even if the loge was taken off, i could tell this was a 'Quality' romance comics. Cool cover. Now am i just missing something or that's really not his sister? hm