• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this true...DC wants fan art pictures of Harley Quinn ??

147 posts in this topic

So, without trying to ruffle feathers, this is what I got so far.

Some one is upset with DC because they're doing something to a character. The character is not new, the concept is not new, but the person is now mad because this not new concept met this not new character. And this person is mad because they like the character and are affected by the concept? That about right?

Making a contest of drawing someone in a suicidal scenario is tacky and in poor taste. I think everyone here is acceptant of what goes on in comic book stories and for how long it's gone on, but to encourage the audience to draw their interpretations of it in a contest is pretty dumb on DC's part. I don't think anyone is mad or upset - I think they are appalled at the stupidity of this kind of contest.

Do you remember the "Should Jason Todd Live or Die?" contest/promotion DC ran 25 years ago?

JasonTodd_zpsd3a009ce.jpg

Yep, I do. And I was too young to really understand how dumb that idea was.

"Within the 36-hour period allotted for voting, the poll received 10,614 votes. The verdict in favor of the character's death won by a slim margin of 5,343 votes to 5,271. Years later, O'Neil would admit hundreds of votes in the "Jason Dies" line came from a single person, adding a large degree of uncertainty to the honesty of results regarding a poll designed to determine the character's popularity.

10,000 votes? That's not exactly a resounding success, and pretty much proves that in this instance, when DC chooses to sensationalize something like death, it falls on it's face with the audience. Again, this is not a societal flaw here, this is a PR flaw that has missed the mark and serves to be a detriment to DC rather than generating positive buzz about the contest.

Some one is upset with DC because they're doing something to a character. The character is not new, the concept is not new, but the person is now mad because this not new concept met this not new character. And this person is mad because they like the character and are affected by the concept? That about right?

Making a contest of drawing someone in a suicidal scenario is tacky and in poor taste. I think everyone here is acceptant of what goes on in comic book stories and for how long it's gone on, but to encourage the audience to draw their interpretations of it in a contest is pretty dumb on DC's part. I don't think anyone is mad or upset - I think they are appalled at the stupidity of this kind of contest.

Do you remember the "Should Jason Todd Live or Die?" contest/promotion DC ran 25 years ago?

"Within the 36-hour period allotted for voting, the poll received 10,614 votes. The verdict in favor of the character's death won by a slim margin of 5,343 votes to 5,271. Years later, O'Neil would admit hundreds of votes in the "Jason Dies" line came from a single person, adding a large degree of uncertainty to the honesty of results regarding a poll designed to determine the character's popularity.

10,000 votes? That's not exactly a resounding success, and pretty much proves that in this instance, when DC chooses to sensationalize something like Death, it falls on it's face with it's audience.

What I want to know, is what Boardie back then called the number a few hundred times? I'm sure it was one of you old farts...

10,000 votes? That's not exactly a resounding success, and pretty much proves that in this instance, when DC chooses to sensationalize something like death, it falls on it's face with the audience. Again, this is not a societal flaw here, this is a PR flaw that has missed the mark and serves to be a detriment to DC rather than generating positive buzz about the contest.

They got away with that because it was Robin... :grin:

Hasn't murder, on a rather massive scale, been the Joker's (and Harley's) M.O. for quite some time? Why hasn't anyone railed against DC for allowing that for all this time?

Murder isn't anymore funny than suicide, and isn't any less grave and painful. Yet, there it has been, for decades in comic book form with no outrage outside of someone named Wertham.

Nailed on the head.

I'm just saying that it's nothing new, and I wonder why no one cared to protest it then. (shrug) Sure it's an idea I would not have come up with, but some people reacting as if they've never heard of such a thing before seems odd.

The 10,000 votes I think was more that it cost almost as much as a comic to make that call. If you told someone to vote on this today and say it's $2 a vote...you'd hear crickets chirping.