• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this true...DC wants fan art pictures of Harley Quinn ??

147 posts in this topic

Aside from the questionable content, I thought the contest was lame as a search for new talent. How can you tell how good a comic book artist is by looking at 4 non connected illustrations?

You can tell if the artist has a grasp of things like:

-layout

-ability to draw well

-ability to draw from different viewpoints

-perspective

-anatomy

:)

But it won't tell if the person is a good comic book artist. They're just asking for pinups.

Exactly, as a contest it does nothing to showcase the artists sequential layout skills, nor his ability to use a working -script and standard direction. It's just a few pinups.

Look, they aren't asking for Harley with her legs up in the air and a in her hand... good grief.

:facepalm:

If anyone thinks DC is "sexualizing suicide," then you are mistaken, IMHO. The directions for this one piece of art calls for her not to have her costume on while in the bathtub.

To DC : :applause: - you have people talking about your stuff, once again. Good words or bad, press is press.

-slym

I don't recall this kind of reaction when 2 years ago Marvel had multi-issue arc of deadpool doing everything in his power to kill himself.

It's comedy people, deal with it.

:applause:

And I am sure if you personally had ever been effected by a loved one taking their own life..

You would think having a contest t glorify it some funny stuff right??

If you knew a young man in his twenties, who helped you by using a snow shovel to get through piles of ashes in your burned down house. Who found your wedding ring and several pieces of your great grandmother's jewelry in the ashes of a 3 bedroom home. Who showed up everyday, having never even been asked, to help you clear out the wreckage of your entire life. Never asked for $1 and never took any money you tried to shove into his pocket. For breaking his back doing work you couldn't physically do while tethered to an oxygen concentrator.

Then he finds his "girlfriend" moved out of state with his two children who were the apples of his eye. He gets pretty drunk..he tries to numb the pain...Being pretty broke he couldn't afford an attorney to even begin to bring them back. So one day in between helping my son and daughter move, this girlfriend calls and says "Good luck you'll never see them again they have a new daddy now see ya sucker"

And he hangs himself..in the living room where his mom found him

Yes I can see where you could find humor in that...

laugh it up.

Or maybe the substitute.. father in law..who had surgery to get his back fixed and ended up paralyzed from the waist down. He was despondent..instead of gaining back the use of his body he lost it. He finally found some family member to leave gun where he could getit..he nearly took out his wife of 60 years along with himself as he tried to kill himself and she tried to wrestle the gun from him.

He managed to only graze her..shoot the wall a few times before shooting himself in the face.

Let's see if we should have a contest to see who could draw the best picture of that...

hilarious..

My daughter's friend..went to a party and had a headache. Some one offered him tylenol. That turned out to be a dangerous mind altering street drug. After spending several hours petting an invisible cat and other party goers taking funny pictures of him "acting crazy" two of my children tried to get him into a car to take him to the ER. He jumped out of the car..ran off and no one could find him.

He was found hung...right in his living room..24 years old..dead because some jerk wanted to see the "goody two shoes" high..

Isn't that just funny??

the answers are all NO

it is not something to be trivialized or made fun of..

Think if it was someone in your family or a friend..

and then tell me it is a great idea to have a contest to see who could draw the best picture of it..

I understand this is a comic book art piece..I don't have a problem with comic book tackling important social issues in different ways..

I have a problem with it being made sport of..

That you would drop all that in a thread on a comic book message board in response to this DC contest tells me you have a problem....period.

Go off the deep end much?

I was reading the Comics Journal tonight and Tucker Stone made this interesting observation of DC Comics:

"Let’s do some true confessions type mess. See, I tried to read the story in last week’s Batman Incorporated Special written by DC Comics Co-Publisher/Editor Dan DiDio, because I’d heard that it was about Batcow and that seemed like it had some train wreck potential, possibly on the same level of entertainment as his story from the DC Comics Christmas Special where Aquaman saved the baby Jesus from speedboat pirates.

After all, that’s the only thing interesting DC does right now–embarrassing train wrecks. All of their superhero comics are terrible, mediocre stuff–Tim O’Neil has a spot-on explanation as to why–with the only tolerable spots being the books that are drawn well (there are two of those) or the few that are written in a style reminiscent enough of popular serialized television shows that your brain can stay engaged as it plows through the C-grade art.

They’re still stupid, but so is a lot of entertainment, and while they’re usually ugly, that’s not that unique either. The rest of DC’s stuff is just impenetrable, a morass of miserable tedium. Reading that Batcow thing was like living on a block where somebody is walking a really sick dog that has diarrhea everyday, and every once in a while you happen to look at the window during the time when it’s splattering wet liquid all over the curb. Sure, it’s gross, but look at it: it’s an old, sick dog being cared for by the one person left who cares for it. It should totally be put out its misery, but that’s not really your place, is it? It’s not your dog and you don’t really care about it anyway and the only reason you’re reacting to it with anything crueler than pity is that you’re staring at it, and you don’t have to.

Drawing this is what Ethan Van Sciver chose to do with his life. That’s on him. Reading it is on me."

I was reading the Comics Journal tonight and Tucker Stone made this interesting observation of DC Comics:

"Let’s do some true confessions type mess. See, I tried to read the story in last week’s Batman Incorporated Special written by DC Comics Co-Publisher/Editor Dan DiDio, because I’d heard that it was about Batcow and that seemed like it had some train wreck potential, possibly on the same level of entertainment as his story from the DC Comics Christmas Special where Aquaman saved the baby Jesus from speedboat pirates.

After all, that’s the only thing interesting DC does right now–embarrassing train wrecks. All of their superhero comics are terrible, mediocre stuff–Tim O’Neil has a spot-on explanation as to why–with the only tolerable spots being the books that are drawn well (there are two of those) or the few that are written in a style reminiscent enough of popular serialized television shows that your brain can stay engaged as it plows through the C-grade art.

They’re still stupid, but so is a lot of entertainment, and while they’re usually ugly, that’s not that unique either. The rest of DC’s stuff is just impenetrable, a morass of miserable tedium. Reading that Batcow thing was like living on a block where somebody is walking a really sick dog that has diarrhea everyday, and every once in a while you happen to look at the window during the time when it’s splattering wet liquid all over the curb. Sure, it’s gross, but look at it: it’s an old, sick dog being cared for by the one person left who cares for it. It should totally be put out its misery, but that’s not really your place, is it? It’s not your dog and you don’t really care about it anyway and the only reason you’re reacting to it with anything crueler than pity is that you’re staring at it, and you don’t have to.

Drawing this is what Ethan Van Sciver chose to do with his life. That’s on him. Reading it is on me."

lol

Spot on.

Most any male reader will not see anything at all to be outraged about regarding the quasi attempted suicide panels depicted. To me they are not at all offensive. They are set in a cartoony, even cute comic setting.

Clearly some people, female readers for most part, are seriously offended. Is it right to be dismissive and mocking because we cant see this as they do.

On fb I was reading a thread about how offended women get when told in public by some male stranger to smile, they look so much prettier if they would smile. There are dozens of comments about how this is a sexualized thumbscrew holding a woman in her place to conform to what she should be, pleasant for a male viewer, rather than what she is, her own person. This "you should smile" comment provokes layers of discomfort in the woman that is like these suicide panels, very easy to dismiss or mock because in our world view, we cant see the same drawn panels in the same exact way.

This "smile" to me is an innocuous comment. When I go out to breakfast at Dennys and the waitress calls me honey and darlin I am not at all offended or feel it is sexualized, or feel threatened. I also dont return with similar language because I am a dullard, a hammer when it comes to where the lines are and so keep at respectful length with strangers. I am not capable of feeling the intimidation, the discomfort based on being put in a weaker position that a female would experience. But roles reversed and a male boss saying this to a female employee there is a different dynamic, and an entirely different lens that is seen thru.

I don't see how this is a male/female thing. At all. This manufactured outrage (as evidenced by the site linked in the OP) is about making light of suicide.

For the record - it was at Thanksgiving dinner over 10 years ago that my 2nd cousin and hid girlfriend were fighting. He went inside and didn't come out for a while. Everyone was fixing plates full of food when we heard a very loud bang, coming from in the house.

He killed himself, folks. With everyone around, on a holiday. Shot himself in the head.

Now, this sucked, and still sucks today, as his mom never got over it and is a shell of a woman she used to be. I had a suicide occur not 25 yards from where I was standing, eating turkey and pork BBQ.

Am I outraged at these scenes with Harley Quinn? No.

:shrug:

-slym

I don't see how this is a male/female thing. At all. This manufactured outrage (as evidenced by the site linked in the OP) is about making light of suicide.

For the record - it was at Thanksgiving dinner over 10 years ago that my 2nd cousin and hid girlfriend were fighting. He went inside and didn't come out for a while. Everyone was fixing plates full of food when we heard a very loud bang, coming from in the house.

He killed himself, folks. With everyone around, on a holiday. Shot himself in the head.

Now, this sucked, and still sucks today, as his mom never got over it and is a shell of a woman she used to be. I had a suicide occur not 25 yards from where I was standing, eating turkey and pork BBQ.

-slym

My cousin Mike hung himself. Had a lengthy jail stretch hanging over his head due to some false accusations of rape from a DB he met at a bar. I think he knew her a bit and it wasnt just a total stranger, but he wanted nothing to do with her the next day and she was off to the authorities. While awaiting the trial he tied a rope in the rafters at his home and kicked out the chair. My point is that there is a level of pain that is more than someone can handle in their life and they feel no way out of it and cant deal with it. I know my cousin was in some serious pain cause he would have never done that, he truely loved his life, his family and he did have a son. he was divorced.

I think Suicide is a bad part of life. Today innocent people's lives are taken away by sickos and accidents, but suicide unfortunatly exist and families must deal with the aftermath. Harley Quinn obviously has issues even before her problems that bring her to the brink begin. Is it just a cry for help or something far more serious? I think she will live, but then I guess its the actual subject that has many up at arms. Its a serious topic and often times can stem from bullying which is a serious subject more closer to home. Perhaps shining a light on the suicide issue and working backward can help with the underlying problems that it stems from.

-slym

For real.

I was a teenager in the 1980's... the "Heathers" generation.

I'd guess there were 10 people during my high school years that committed suicide. Sometimes it feels like we are living in the Puss E generation.