• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Copper Horror Thread
3 3

300 posts in this topic

Welcome to the boards!

How are you liking Western Tales of Terror BTW?

Anyway if you went through this whole thread, you probably have seen some great stuff already. Can't think of any good sites for CH but Chuck's MileHigh site could show you some runs you might be interested in.

Hey Jayman ,

Really liked Western Tales of Terror. I've only read #1 and #2 (#3 is sitting at home waiting for me to read, #4 is on preorder). I like the anthology format and really like westerns (especially after watching season 1 of Deadwood, really good if you don't mind swearing).

Hoarse & Buggy (the company that published WToT) has just released the first issue of Elk's Run. This is an eight issue series (it's not an anthology, but an actual story, in color). I really enjoyed #1. Highly recommended and it's getting great reviews.

On a similar note, I haven't enjoyed Students of the Unusual as much. It's also an anthology, it's in color, but I don't know, it just hasn't grabbed me. I've read #1 and #2 (#4 is sitting at home waiting for me to read, missed #3, I think it's on back order).

Troy

Troy,

Although some of the artwork in WToT takes some warming up to, I (being a fan of the Bronze Age titles) really like the anthology format of the book. Even the one ongoing storyline with "Pigarm" is pretty cool and I absolutley think the host is great! Although we be talkin' Modern Horror here, I would also mention some IDW titles to check out such as 30 Days of Night: Bloodsuckers Tales, Karney, Silent Hill, Secret Skull, and The Lurkers. Also The Walking Dead and Toe Tags I would recommend.

But more on topic regarding Copper...

My big thing is I don't know anything about Copper Age horror comics. I have heard of these four titles:

Gore Shriek

Tales of Terror

Master of the Macabre

Death Rattle

But I don't know if they are any good, or hard to find. etc.

Of the above choices although I love 'em all, I would highly recommend Pacific Comics Tales of Terror. Great stories by Bruce Jones and some fabulous covers by Bolton among others. Also there is Twisted Tales and Alien Worlds by Pacific Comics just as good.

If you already haven't checked out this thread, it's been buried for a while, here's the link for current Horror.

Jay

Infininite Modern Horror Thread

Hey! Keep that modern talk where it belongs! 893naughty-thumb.gif

You are SO sign-offtopic.gif Jay!

27_laughing.gif

Don't make me call out the Tall Man! grin.gif

Just kidding, ya know. Anyway, I would seriously give a big thumbsup2.gif to the Pacific titles, by far my faves from the CA.

Cheers to that! thumbsup2.gif

There was a good point brought up, in that I don't think there is a definitive list of CA horror available. Could be tricky to, if you start counting the DC stuff that has been lumped into BA. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are'nt you guys slick (Jay, Keith, etc.) trying to avoid me in the Mag forum... sumo.gif

insane.gif

These were some pretty sweet books that Chaos put out. I really enjoyed the Wrightson painted work...

I didn't see anyone post these yet...pardon if I'm stepp'n on toes...

817487-IMG_2536_1.jpg817487-IMG_2537_1.jpg

817487-IMG_2538_1.jpg817487-IMG_2539_1.jpg

817487-IMG_2539_1.jpg.b5459d755d83b67a22ff27b10f40d048.jpg

Edited by bounty_coder

Okay Guys now this is some real Cool . Simon the Biz Bisley, definitely has some of the most unique and bizzare art around, and He was definitely the perfect artist to do the covers for this series...

First off, I'm not sure what the deal is with these books, but they must have had a very limited print run. They were one of the last sets of books to come out before Topps comics folded, so that might be a reason of the more constricted production. None the less, grabbing a set of these is insanely tough...and definitely one of those books that the Overstreet Guide's price doesnt correctly reflect (it lists them at Cover price still) yet I've seen sets of these sell for $40-$100 based off of condition. Anyway enough of my blabb'n, 893blahblah.gif ...Let's get to the macabre! devil.gif

Issue #1...WOW - What an Amazingly dynamic pose of both these Horror Juggernaut's. Simply one of my favorite covers around...

817497-IMG_2549_1.jpg

Issue #2... This cover may seem very weird. And many may not immediatly know why . Well, think Rockwell....Yep, the wholesome all American artist Norman Rockwell. This is a swipe of his famous "Freedom from Want" Painting. Simply classic if you ask me. I actually was lucky enough to get some goodies from the Head Art Director from Topps (if you guys ask me nicely I'll share them..hint hint gossip.gif) and he said that they gave Simon complete creative control over these covers, which I think is awesome.

817497-IMG_2547_1.jpg817497-10230683.jpg

Issue #3... Kind of weird that Jason had 3 covers of the series and Leatheface only had a cameo on the First Issue's cover. None the less this 3rd issue is probably the toughest of the set to get. I think that this was just about one of the last issues that Topps produced, and thus this reflected in the print run. Great Biz work again though...

817497-IMG_2548_1.jpg

-bounty

817497-IMG_2548_1.jpg.5ee87ea791bb3c54668324802b6cfb6f.jpg

Edited by bounty_coder

Great posts, Bounty! thumbsup2.gif

That HoM is probably modern, BUT the interior is BA reprints, so if you split the difference... grin.gif

takeit.gif

Keith were you aware of those Jason VS. Leatherface books? I'm trying to get a feel for how "known of" they are.

-bounty

P.S. - Regarding my goodies that I mentioned. I become an acquaintance with the former Art Director of Topps. One of the things he did, was take extremely High resolution, high quality fiery output scans of all the original cover art for these 3 issues. THey were about 8x10 glossy extremely detailed prints, these were used to check the colors, and how they would display. They aren't really proofs,in the sense that none of the comic cover items (title, names, barcode, etc) were added. All you see is the canvis and painting. You can see the ruffled edges of the canvis, it is very cool. He said that they only did 1 copy of each issue, because of thier time crunch and the cost to do such a High Quality print. None the less, I was able to acquire these from him. Closest thing you will ever get to the original art, and they are to scale as far as I know. Anyway, they blow the actual comic covers out of the water. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will take some time out to take pics of these.

I actually was lucky enough to get some goodies from the Head Art Director from Topps (if you guys ask me nicely I'll share them..hint hint gossip.gif)

Now you know that there's no turning back now!

SHOW US!

Bounty, those are the first ones I've seen! thumbsup2.gif

Oh, and it's nice to see you coming out of your "mag forum" hole, btw. grin.gif

Yah, I just got out of Jay's crawlspace to get my own copy of the latest OSPG last month, now I'm venturing out with other things wink.gif

Here is the deal. I unfortunately was on a haitus from collecting comics during 1993 when these came out. So I didn't get them from the newstand, otherwise I would have grabbed multi-pristine copies. SO, the reason why I was on haitus was because comics kind of fell into a hole around this time. With so many gimmick covers, and book prices becoming very expensive. I think that many departed the hobby for a bit of time around then, making less of these falling into the hands of your every Friday comic junkie. None the less, here are those prints that I was telling you guys about. Sorry that I dont have a scanner, it probably would do these more justice.

818422-IMG_2581_1.jpg817497-IMG_2549_1.jpg

818422-IMG_2583_1.jpg817497-IMG_2547_1.jpg

818422-IMG_2582_1.jpg817497-IMG_2548_1.jpg

I personally think that these are such beautiful peices even though they are quite industrial and crude. I would consider these one of my luckiest finds ever in comic related items, since I know that these original peices will never surface, this is the next best thing bar none. cloud9.gif Glad to share them with you guys!

-bounty

818422-IMG_2582_1.jpg.610b6fbd0f4f8c1aec7b94d3960b90e3.jpg

Edited by bounty_coder

Bounty, truly too nice for words, so...

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

PS: If you ever get tired of those and need some green, lemme know. devil.gif

Thanks buddie! Again, I do feel extremely blessed to have come across them. But Jay, I will definitely dial you up and let you know if I'm looking to pass these beautiful peices on man.

It's amazing how great the Internet has proven to be such an important tool in our hobby. It brings awareness to so many levels, on items that many would never have knew existed if not for its presence.

-bounty

Another pretty cool book. Halloween is definitely one of my favorites of the slasher flicks. Micheal Myers is one mean mutha...shut your mouth.

Very cool cover that Chaos came out with on this one. It uses that original video cover/poster for the movie which is so classic. Also is a glow in the dark issue and limited to 6,666 copies (how clever!)

819723-IMG_2565_1.jpg

819723-IMG_2565_1.jpg.222a769aeb55403cf6de9ba19c321b72.jpg

Edited by bounty_coder