• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Civil War will be a 1.5-1.8 Billion movie

BvS will be a 750-900 Million movie

I believe that if Furious 7 can bring in $1,150,000,000+...and it's only been out for just over a month, so that total will grow...BvS should do better than 750-900 million. The Dark Knight Rises pulled in just under $1,100,000,000 and it was absolutely ridden with plot holes.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Civil War bring in 1.8+ billion, but if BvS is promoted the right way, it should do better than your estimate IMO.

F&F7 is the culmination of almost 15 years of movie going, a huge ensemble cast, and the lead actor died.

BvS will NOT be able to match Nolan's Batman imo, for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Ben Affleck is like a giant lead anchor around its neck, and the movie feels too forced. That was not a good trailer, and I think most people recognize that. Hopefully the next trailer is better. We all love Batman and Superman, but just tossing their names into the movie title isnt enough to make it good.

I'm talking about the final worldwide total.

I'll put my money where my mouth is if you'd like. :devil:

I'm happy to bet $20 on Cap 3 not doubling Bats vs Superman in worldwide sales. How do we define the total tally for both movies.

A while back in conversation with an older lady I brought up Guardians of the Galaxy. She beamed and gushed and loved that movie. Loved it. Bought the soundtrack.

She had no clue it was tied in with Avengers in any way, shape or form. I explained it a bit, but let it go. It was trivia she didn't need or want.

I think most moviegoers are like that. She loved GotG because it was fun and quirky, she liked the good guys and they won. And for most, that "Marvel" made it falls in the 'trivia' mindslot of minor details.

Maybe I'm wrong. I just think beyond fanboys and fangirls, general audiences just want bang for their buck and to leave feeling deeply satisfied. The 'ol enjoyment-factor. And BvS will rise of fall by the same simple standards. Pay your money, spend your time, leave feeling highly satisfied, or not.

No way Cap 3 doubles BvS - no how. Are you talking opening weekend or all-together global sales.

Final World Wide tallies, once the movies are finished their runs in the Theaters is my prediction. My original numbers being a total World Wide Gross of:

$750-900 million for BvS

and

$1.5-$1.8 billion for Civil War

I suppose you could even still get to it with a $1 Billion vs $2 Billion number too. Remember Civil War is essential Cap 3 and Ironman 4 and Avengers 2.5, with dozens of cameos and the debut of Black Panther and Spider-man.

Superman 1 is the predecessor to BvS and it grossed $668 million, so I am guessing a flat to 50% boost for Superman 2 (BvS)

Ironman 3 grossed $1.2 Billion, so I think "Ironman 4" hitting $1.5 post Ultron is very reasonable as an estimate. Add in Black Panther, Spider-man, Captain America dying, Civil War, and cameos from everything/one else on earth in the MCU, and you get the high end of my estimate.

All the no way, no how talk, well, yah, its actually quite possible. Nolans batman and Affleck are what's going to keep BvS from doing huge numbers and this trailer is pointing in that direction. I dont see HOW this movie can possible beat Nolan at the box office.

I'm happy to bet $20 on Cap 3 not doubling Bats vs Superman in worldwide sales. How do we define the total tally for both movies.

Once the rules are set, let me know. I may want in on this since Chip is giving away cash.

:baiting:

Once the rules are set, let me know. I may want in on this since Chip is giving away cash.

I'll take that bet. $20 each against you and Andrew.

Final totals for world-wide box office are the only numbers relevant in the bet. Cap 3 will be twice the total of BvS.

I'm confident in this. The logic for it is sound. It's not "Kool Aid," Hector...it's logic based on past performance of the movies in the current box office landscape. It makes complete and total sense.

Also, regarding the general public's knowledge of whatever movies are related or inter-connected...the thing that will matter is that I believe Cap 3 will be a much better movie in- and of-itself than BvS with no other factors involved. It will be better written, directed and acted.

Not that one opinion matters but this trailer, teaser whatever it is did not excite or interest me at all. I think Snyder did a good job with Watchmen, but I'm not sure giving him the reins for the rest of the DC universe was the right choice. Probably will wait to catch this on home release.

Final totals for world-wide box office are the only numbers relevant in the bet. Cap 3 will be twice the total of BvS.

I'm confident in this. The logic for it is sound. It's not "Kool Aid," Hector...it's logic based on past performance of the movies in the current box office landscape. It makes complete and total sense.

Also, regarding the general public's knowledge of whatever movies are related or inter-connected...the thing that will matter is that I believe Cap 3 will be a much better movie in- and of-itself than BvS with no other factors involved. It will be better written, directed and acted.

Sounds good - I like a good bet. But isn't setting the final worldwide totals problematic. I guess it will be fairly obvious if the bet is won after a while either way.

Sounds good - I like a good bet. But isn't setting the final worldwide totals problematic. I guess it will be fairly obvious if the bet is won after a while either way.

I'd like some of the action as well Chip

Just use the numbers on Wikipedia or one of the dozen entertainment sites. When they call it "final worldwide total", just live with it. They always do it eventually.

boxoffice mojo is the way to go, for official numbers, and they also statethe final date of when movies leave theaters. For you bet you'd also want to have a general margin of error.

Like $850Mill and $1.67Bill should still count as doubling, even if its off by a small amount.

No way Cap 3 doubles Bats vs Sups. That's a can't loose bet even at 1.5X :insane:

I suspect the totals will be close, and I wouldn't be shocked if BvS wins.

Cap 2 did only about 10% better than MoS.

Cap 2 $714,766,572

MoS $668,045,518

Edited by Rip