• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Civil War will be a 1.5-1.8 Billion movie

BvS will be a 750-900 Million movie

I believe that if Furious 7 can bring in $1,150,000,000+...and it's only been out for just over a month, so that total will grow...BvS should do better than 750-900 million. The Dark Knight Rises pulled in just under $1,100,000,000 and it was absolutely ridden with plot holes.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Civil War bring in 1.8+ billion, but if BvS is promoted the right way, it should do better than your estimate IMO.

While general consensus seems to be Cap 3 will out perform BvS, i am of two minds of this. Some things to consider:

1)My one go along with the majority argument is because of Iron Man 3. IMO, it was bad, yet it outperformed Man of Steel (which was not a masterpiece, but wayyyy better than IM3 i thought). I feel if 'Superman Returns' had not happened first, Man of Steel may have taken IM3 down. The Marvel machine is such that even the mediocre films do boffo box office.

But my feelings why DC will win next year hinge on these considerations:

1)While Cap 2 joins an exclusive group of RARE sequels that were better than the originals (Empire Strikes Back, Godfather 2), the third installment of any franchise is usually always the weakest. Always. I can think of only one film where the third outing was better than it's first two predecessors :Revenge of the Sith (and since most fans felt the prequels were all 'meh'), that's not saying much.

2)Cap 3 is following Avengers 2 in the Marvel movie u canon: Tough act to follow, and while BvS is following it too, it's more of a 'challenge' than an 'encore' which is the position Cap 3 will be in. They too are competing with themselves. May lead to just 'Marvel' movie fatigue, than super hero movie fatigue in general.

3)Yes, i too felt Man of Steel deserved a proper sequel which should have teased Batman, and then the JLA should have all been introduced in solo pics before a mash up, this is still Superman and Batman we are talking about here. The Grandfather and Father of the superheroes. This is the first time ever these two TRUE iconic figures will be together in a live action film. over 150 years of pop culture stardom between them. Unless you are a fetus, you have never heard of them BEFORE this movie. Even the most casual fan would be curious to see 'just how can Batman take on Superman?!?!?'

**And while we are on this subject, I know Batman is a badass, no argument there. But Superman must win this fight in the end (after a good kicking from Bats first of course :D ) If Superman is capable of all the abilities he capable of, i don't need to go into specifics here, it just is not plausible under ANY circimstances (unless Batman is going to kill him with the green rock) that he could take down Supes. Sorry.DC has already done wrong by the emancipator in recent years, this will be an opportunity to restore some of the former glory on the old boy scout.

4) DC's unified movie universe is new stuff. It's fresh and Marvels has a feeling of familiarity to it now, though i'm a fan and pay to see them all, but again they are in a game of, how do we top ourselves? And while i loved Cap 2, i did not feel it was better than The Avengers. I'm psyched to see how DC's will progress with the next set of films.

Any one agree? I'm sure plenty will not, but that's what makes our hobby fun. Arguing whose hero can beat whose. (thumbs u

Edited by Sagii

Cap 3 is shaping up to not only be "Avengers 2.5" but also a pretty spot-on interpretation of Civil War. All the pieces are in place.

BvS doesn't have a chance really...UNLESS it's a close take on DKR #4 with some obvious modifications.

This movie just looks meh to me.

I absolutely love the look of Batman and the armored Bat suit though. Overall, I just think DC is taking the wrong approach to its movies. Not everything has to be doom and gloom and I am seriously hoping Suicide Squad will be the one to break this. I am looking forward to that movie more than any other DCU film.

To be honest, i have not read Civil War, though i am familiar with the gist of the arch. I should get the trade(s) first though, so i'll have an idea where the Marvel Movie U is heading with this.

Cap 3 is shaping up to not only be "Avengers 2.5" but also a pretty spot-on interpretation of Civil War. All the pieces are in place.

BvS doesn't have a chance really...UNLESS it's a close take on DKR #4 with some obvious modifications.

yeah. my understanding is that Cap3 is a direct next installment of the Avengers franchise / Civil War story, and as such, all those people out there interested in Avengers 2 and other Marvel movies will go see it, and all the rest, so long as they are still into following along with the Marvel cinematic Universe.

DC is trying to create that "stickiness" to their filmed universe, but the public hasn't experienced a solid trend upon which to feel hooked yet. Batman trilogy was fine. Man of Steel underwhelmed and confused them. GL missed the mark entirely. WB can hit this one out of the park with BvS and fans will keep coming to see more… but they have to NAIL IT first!

Why would that be? I'm just not getting why general audiences would be drawn to Civil War and forgo BvS. (shrug)

Maybe for Marvel fans, sure. But think of all the relatives, co-workers and friends who wouldn't know beans about Civil War, but know who Batman and Superman are.

In my mind, unless WB screws it up royally, everyone who's sense-of-wonder isn't completely dead yet is going to want to see BvS at some point. Including the gazillions who've never read a comic in their lives.

edit: Am I wrong in thinking the vast majority have no clue about comic book "universes"? That Superman and Spider-man don't exist in the same world, or Batman and Hulk? I know I've had to explain it many, many times, so I assume most non-readers think superheroes all know each other, or don't care if they do or not. And the DC/Marvel rivalry? Eyes glaze over.

Edited by Davenport

People are now very comfortable trusting that they will get their ten bucks of entertainment from each new Marvel film. DC hopes to achieve that accomplishment. Marvel is already there.

They aren't coming to see Civil War because they know anything about it from the comics.... They ARE willing to sit through the next Cap film though, especially if Spidey and Avengers will be in it too.

Siegel and Shuster, who were both Jewish, created Superman to be the "Champion of the Oppressed."

"Nazism was rising up and a lot of innocent people were being killed, countries were being invaded, a lot of innocence slaughtered and I felt that the world desperately needed a crusader, if only a fictional one." -Jerry Siegel

If they are using symbolism that is even Nazi-like in reference to Superman, they are straying very far from the original heart of the character.

I doubt they are going there with Superman. If anything, it may even be this militant group that wants to follow in his footsteps like the Sons of the Batman in The Dark Knight Returns.

Or it could be a flash-forward of some potential future time-line where Superman takes over the world like in the Injustice: Gods Among Us storyline.

Why would that be? I'm just not getting why general audiences would be drawn to Civil War and forgo BvS. (shrug)

Maybe for Marvel fans, sure. But think of all the relatives, co-workers and friends who wouldn't know beans about Civil War, but know who Batman and Superman are.

That's not the point, though. Right now, in the present day, people know Marvel. It's not about Civil War. They know the Marvel films. They know the quality to expect.

Plus, they'll see the trailers. They'll see Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Nick Fury and probably Spider-Man. Everyone who sees Age Of Ultron will go and see Cap 3. Everyone who's seen the last few Spider-Man films will go see it. Everyone who saw Iron Man 3 will go see it.

Average people that were on-board with the Nolan Batman movies have seen the phrase "Affleck as Batman" and taken a step back. Now it's a "maybe" instead of a "must-see" like Marvel has created. I truly believe that's one of the reasons why Guardians did so well. Marvel has built a cinematic brand recognition that means "quality." If you plunk down your $10 you'll be thoroughly entertained.

Superman did well, but nowhere near Avengers-well. The Nolan trilogy was great, but it's not the same Batman anymore. I'm not saying it won't do well, but it won't bring the house down like Cap 3.

Cap 3 will double-up BvS at the very least.

I'm not sure it will double the returns of BvS. I actually think both movies will be quite successful.

But it was quite apparent during the early marketing of Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel Studios started plugging in 'From the studio that brought you Iron Man, Thor, Captain America...' it made a big difference versus just rolling it out on its own. At this point, other than the early mistake of Incredible Hulk, Marvel Studios has been the golden model to compare against.

Not that DC needs to follow 100% of what Marvel is doing to be successful. Otherwise, it is just going to be a repeated method without much difference in delivery to make a studio stand on its own legs.

That's not the point, though. Right now, in the present day, people know Marvel. It's not about Civil War. They know the Marvel films. They know the quality to expect.

Plus, they'll see the trailers. They'll see Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Nick Fury and probably Spider-Man. Everyone who sees Age Of Ultron will go and see Cap 3. Everyone who's seen the last few Spider-Man films will go see it. Everyone who saw Iron Man 3 will go see it.

Average people that were on-board with the Nolan Batman movies have seen the phrase "Affleck as Batman" and taken a step back. Now it's a "maybe" instead of a "must-see" like Marvel has created. I truly believe that's one of the reasons why Guardians did so well. Marvel has built a cinematic brand recognition that means "quality." If you plunk down your $10 you'll be thoroughly entertained.

Superman did well, but nowhere near Avengers-well. The Nolan trilogy was great, but it's not the same Batman anymore. I'm not saying it won't do well, but it won't bring the house down like Cap 3.

No way Cap 3 doubles BvS - no how. Are you talking opening weekend or all-together global sales.