• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

- Batman standing in wreckage of train station where Zod and Superman ended their battle

Excellent way to tie in BvS into the Dark Knight story arc.

One of my biggest fears for BvS hasn't been mentioned yet: Overplaying their hand.

Talking with a non-comic friend about Netflix/Daredevil he brought it up without promting....

"You know what I hate? If I'm going to pay my money I want to see heroes beat bad guys. Not fight each other. With all the villians in comics why can't they write something better? Fighting each other is all they can think of? I hate that."

It kind of gave me mindspins. Fanboys love 'who can beat who' smackdowns. But I get it. He's paying for escapism from a hyper-divisive world and wants to see good triump over evil. Not more divisiveness and in-fighting.

So there it is. If they overplay the BvS element too long, too intense, it might cause a surprise reaction from audiences. It's releasing in an election year and tv's are going to be pumping out someone-vs-someone crud non-stop. Bickering tolerance levels might be very low. Good guys going to blows might be the last thing people want more of.

Thoughts?

One of my biggest fears for BvS hasn't been mentioned yet: Overplaying their hand.

Talking with a non-comic friend about Netflix/Daredevil he brought it up without promting....

"You know what I hate? If I'm going to pay my money I want to see heroes beat bad guys. Not fight each other. With all the villians in comics why can't they write something better? Fighting each other is all they can think of? I hate that."

It kind of gave me mindspins. Fanboys love 'who can beat who' smackdowns. But I get it. He's paying for escapism from a hyper-divisive world and wants to see good triump over evil. Not more divisiveness and in-fighting.

So there it is. If they overplay the BvS element too long, too intense, it might cause a surprise reaction from audiences. It's releasing in an election year and tv's are going to be pumping out someone-vs-someone crud non-stop. Bickering tolerance levels might be very low. Good guys going to blows might be the last thing people want more of.

Thoughts?

While the M o S battle scene with Zod was huge and destructive, it's obvious now that DC was building a platform for this movie. Personally, I thought the battle scene was awesome and I enjoyed the movie more on a second watching than I did the first time around.

I think they are going to set the movie up well - Dc seem to have slowed down their pacing enough to build a story but not too much so as to overdo it.

I'm pretty confident that with both Affleck and Nolan involved that they'll get this right. Both are VERY, VERY good story tellers. People can talk all the hate they want about Affleck but he's an awesome movie maker.

I guess my fear is whether they save that fight scene for the film's climax, or if they address it in the 1st reel, have Batman and Superman get past their differences, shake hands, join forces to advance the "Dawn of Justice" elements. If they fight each other for 4/5ths of the film, that might not go over with general audiences.

Yeah, it's probably worrying about nothing.

I'm having lunch with that friend later in the week and I'm going to bring up Cap3/Civil War just to watch his eyes roll. :devil:lol

If he hates seeing good guys fighting each other, he should probably skip Civil War altogether.

I guess my fear is whether they save that fight scene for the film's climax, or if they address it in the 1st reel, have Batman and Superman get past their differences, shake hands, join forces to advance the "Dawn of Justice" elements. If they fight each other for 4/5ths of the film, that might not go over with general audiences.

My $ are on: WW stepping outta the rubble and putting the kibosh on their fisticuffs when it comes to the tipping point. Then the tone gets JL with just enough trinity action to make you want to see more asap.

My $ are on: WW stepping outta the rubble and putting the kibosh on their fisticuffs when it comes to the tipping point. Then the tone gets JL with just enough trinity action to make you want to see more asap.

From your keyboard to Snyder's ear. :wishluck::)

Thoughts?

While the M o S battle scene with Zod was huge and destructive, it's obvious now that DC was building a platform for this movie. Personally, I thought the battle scene was awesome and I enjoyed the movie more on a second watching than I did the first time around.

I think they are going to set the movie up well - Dc seem to have slowed down their pacing enough to build a story but not too much so as to overdo it.

I'm pretty confident that with both Affleck and Nolan involved that they'll get this right. Both are VERY, VERY good story tellers. People can talk all the hate they want about Affleck but he's an awesome movie maker.

PROS.

I loved the Man of Steel, and loved the Nolan Batman Trilogy, and can`t wait Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie. :cloud9:

CONS.

I never was really into DC`s other heroes. I think mainstream feels the same way.

Yeah, I could read Silver and Bronze Age Flash,Aquaman and Green Lantern and enjoy them, but just didn`t go ga ga over them like the Marvel Universe heroes.

Flash,Aquaman and Green Lantern are their second raters. They are ok.

Where the big question will be is with DC`s third rate heroes. hm

I don`t think DC will have an appealing Guardians of the Galaxy up their sleeve like Marvel had.

My point of all this is if any super hero fatigue starts to set in we can point the finger at when DC starting giving third rate heroes their own movies and TV shows.

We got aways to go, but I can see DC putting out too many superhero movies and TV shows that are uncalled for.

Killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

From your keyboard to Snyder's ear. :wishluck::)

What makes you think I'm not already in Snyder's ear? :wink:

Hopefully the fight is halfway through the movie and the rest of it is building up to an ending battle with Luthor/some other bad guy.

Remember the rumor Latino Review put out a few months back.

- Luthor plays Superman against Batman

- Zod's body, meanwhile, becomes a science experiment for Star Labs

- Body turns into Doomsday

- Heroes all come to realize they must become a team to tackle Doomsday

- Enter: Justice League

It seems to be coming together as the story. Especially seeing Batman down in that train station. I wonder if he is already investigating the details from the MOS fight.

One of the sites that repeated the rumor going around how MOS=>BvS=>JL all come together into a linked universe.

Does General Zod become Doomsday in Batman v Superman?

“His corpse [gets] stolen (or perhaps just acquired, given his military contacts in most versions of the modern mythology) by Lex Luthor and experimented on, presumably in the hopes of finding a weakness to exploit against Superman.” The site continues, “in the course of his experimenting, we’ve been told that he ‘triggers the Doomsday genome,’ causing the corpse to reanimate as the mindless killing machine at the center of The Death of Superman.”.

Hopefully the fight is halfway through the movie and the rest of it is building up to an ending battle with Luthor/some other bad guy.

THIS WOULD BE GREAT!

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ANOTHER FACE-OFF AGAINST LEX LUTHOR!

IT WOULD BE *SO* REFRESHING!

:eyeroll:

P.S. This was not directed at you, kimik...this was directed at the decision-makers would couldn't pull their heads from their asses long enough to figure out they should have used someone else other than Lex Luthor AGAIN.

One of the sites that repeated the rumor going around how MOS=>BvS=>JL all come together into a linked universe.

Does General Zod become Doomsday in Batman v Superman?

“His corpse [gets] stolen (or perhaps just acquired, given his military contacts in most versions of the modern mythology) by Lex Luthor and experimented on, presumably in the hopes of finding a weakness to exploit against Superman.” The site continues, “in the course of his experimenting, we’ve been told that he ‘triggers the Doomsday genome,’ causing the corpse to reanimate as the mindless killing machine at the center of The Death of Superman.”.

The 15-year-old version of me from the past just squealed. :luhv: