• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I'm not saying he's right but there are internet reporters and there are internet reporters. Hitfix is a legit spot, it's not some dude with a blog making stuff up, they get legit access and without question no more than just random people giving opinions. I have no question that they have heard from people who saw the film who might not have loved it, but I do question the extent what their opinions on it matter to audience though. This movie will make money regardless, and I liked the last trailer, and I'm pumped for Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad, but I have to admit I'm not 100% sold of their vision, or Zack Snyder.

He could very well be right that some execs are concerned about the film, but the audience will still dig it.

That was why I posted this.

I've noticed three of the major movie sites are now quoting Drew McWeeney ( lol ) about his sources telling him Warner is nervous. It is not clear who his sources are. If you read the comments section on the Collider site folks point out he is a hardcore Marvel fan, and that this may be clouding his opinion.

Collider Movie Talk: Is The DC Cinematic Universe In Trouble?

The assumption is the rumors may be coming from the non-superhero fan executives that feel like they know better than the fans this isn't going to work. Also, that McWeeney has been hit-or-miss. Though at times he has dug something up that was right. But on this one it feels misguided, as many cinema patrons clearly know Batman and Superman.

We shall see.

Collider and Hitifx are comparable sites, especially pre-Collider's purchase by Complex, they are of the same level, though I prefer Collider, though the video end of Collider is not a scoop/reporting operation, they are more of a news/commentary site.

As an aside, information in a comments thread of any entertainment site is generally a cesspool of nonsense.

Everybody in that industry is hit or miss, it comes with the territory (ala elmayimbe.- probably currently the most famed scoop person when it comes to what people call geek stuff), though this report seems really big in a broad way (i.e. not just breaking a casting or plot point) which is why I tend to believe it. These are people who get and need access, and lying on a studio like Warner Bros would be a bad move if not true.

We'll know more soon enough. I just have doubts about these rumors if Wonder Woman is already filming, and they moved up the Flash movie (though by a week) to better position it with other releases.

French Magazine Spoils Batman Vs. Superman Characters & Cameos?

A Twitter user posted a scan from a French magazine which looks to have an article on the characters in the movie which reveals key details.

Potential spoilers follow.

Jena Malone is playing Barbara Gordon aka Batgirl.

Callan Mulvey is playing Anatoli Knyazev aka KG Beast.

Scoot McNairy is playing Jimmy Olsen.

Jared Leto will be featured in a Joker flashback.

Dan Amboyer is listed, who has been said to be Hal Jordan/Green Lantern (update: Amboyer is confirmed for Batman Vs. Superman).

bvs-characters.jpg

That magazine page does confirm some previous rumors.

We'll know more soon enough. I just have doubts about these rumors if Wonder Woman is already filming, and they moved up the Flash movie (though by a week) to better position it with other releases.

I have zero doubts that some exec or someone in the studio told them they were apprehensive about it. That seems very likely. They would not have ran that report if someone didn't. I understand people think the net writes anything for hits, and that's largely true, but Hitfix has way too much to lose. They are not trying to establish themselves, they are already there

I also have zero doubts that the movie will make money, but that's not the same as getting people excited for a full blown universe. Some people liked Man of Steel and it made decent money, but it really didn't feel like it inspired a lot of faith in a DCU. I think that's why Man of Steel 2 didn't happen, they felt they needed Batman, and that's smart to realize that.

This movie is going to be gigantic, I'm more interested , however, if it gets me excited for other universe films like I am for like Guardians 2. Marvel can weather kind of a bad movie that makes money, like Ultron, if this movie isn't good, I don't know what the state of DCU is going to be. RIght now I'm excited for Aquaman and Wonder Woman, and anything Affleck directs, but a not so good Batman V. Superman would definitely slow that down for me. I think they want to be far better than Civil War, and I'm just not sure right now.

Didn't Hitfix say WB Was worried about Mad Max shortly before release and that it wasn't good?

Then it came out and it was beloved by all?

I wouldn't pay any mind to it.

So did Tom Hardy, the star of the movie, actually. He actually apologized to Miller later and it is the type of move that would worry people, that kind of production had to be nerve racking and it was a relatively expensive film. Shooting was reportedly hell.

Again, everyone is hit or miss and contrary to what people believe, Mad Max wasn't a giant hit. It was a surprise hit and definitely made good money, but even Ant Man DWARFED it, and so did something like Kingsmen.

So did Tom Hardy, the star of the movie, actually. He actually apologized to Miller later and it is the type of move that would worry people, that kind of production had to be nerve racking and it was a relatively expensive film. Shooting was reportedly hell.

Again, everyone is hit or miss and contrary to what people believe, Mad Max wasn't a giant hit. It was a surprise hit and definitely made good money, but even Ant Man DWARFED it, and so did something like Kingsmen.

Yes, but Drew McWeeny seemed to make it a personal quest to prove Mad Max was going to fail. Even when the review embargo was still in place, he hinted at this was because it was going to have problems.

GrEujta.png

Even when he heard there were a few scene reshoots, he seemed to pounce on these as a sign the movie was going to be less than good. This even though he is a fan of George Miller.

But this is the career these folks have chosen. You don't get headline attention if you aren't calling out things like this from time to time.

Obviously, people have taken this personally for some reason and have chosen a side, so it might be best to just bow out of this. I 100% believe the report, and 100% believe it doesn't matter, though I hope it's the best Zack Snyder movie ever, otherwise it will be disappointing.

That said, reshoots, depending on what time they happen and if they prempted a delay are often bad signs, so are very late ending embargos. Those are common signs that a studio is not confident in a film. Now, reshoots do occur in a lot of films if not all of them, but depending on the details around them, they are often viewed as bad signs (see The Fantastic Four). They don't mean a film won't make a ton or won't be popular, they merely can (sometimes) reflect what the studio thinks of a film.

Not always, but often, even though there are exceptions like Star Wars, which are special cases (also Abrams is notoriously secretive) where it's the biggest thing coming and doesn't need reviews.

None of this is particularly unique for any site or as commentary.

Let's be honest though, almost NOBODY saw Mad Max coming that strong. And even though it did, it cost a bunch too. I can totally see why people were worried about that film. It's a minor miracle, and considering the risk with that film, they have to be happy with the return. Also, it's okay not to be in love with Mad Max.

Obviously, people have taken this personally for some reason and have chosen a side, so it might be best to just bow out of this. I 100% believe the report, and 100% believe it doesn't matter, though I hope it's the best Zack Snyder movie ever, otherwise it will be disappointing.

I don't think anyone is taking it personal. For that to even make sense, they would have to be involved with the creation of the movie.

I think an assumption he must be right because McWeeny is from Hitfix is probably what received attention. So the example of McWeeny missing the mark with Fury Road is just showing he could be missing reality in a major way here. At least until Warner officially comes out with announcements about schedule changes. It could happen, and surprise many people.

McWeeny. Sorry. It's just a fun name to reference.

Sadly, most of my friends who know about this movie think it's doomed to fail. They never have any good answer when I ask why, but there's little faith for them. :shrug:

I know why I am pessimistic about this movie, and it comes down to my wife, kids, and friends reactions. I live in a "we love" superhero movie house, we see just about every hero movie that comes out ASAP. From my wife, and almost a direct quote, "Batman vs Superman, that sounds stupid like something a five year old would have come up with while playing with toys. I have no interest in that." This is a girl that has read comics, seen all the movies, and even done some cosplay (limited to Halloween, but she has worn it to work on Halloween). My kids agree with her, and jump on the bandwagon and start bashing when she says it.

My friends are also big movie people, and have seen the trailers and basically shrugged. I have many people at work that love these movies also. They are usually at the theater on the "midnight" showing. They are even showing little excitement.

There is buzz on the comic forums and comic sites, but I have seen none of it outside of here.

And in my household it is the opposite reaction. lol My wife and daughter want to see this movie because of Wonder Woman, and my son wants to see Batman and Superman battle as I explained the DKR story to him. He thinks it will be cool.

Everyone I have talked to at work wants to see Deadpool and BvS, but are lukewarm on X-Men Apocalypse (I keep telling them it will be good......) and Captain America Civil War. The AoU dud has done some damage to the Avengers franchise, and most people I know think the Captain America vs. Iron Man in Civil War is a dumb idea. They would likely change that view if they had read the Civil War arc, but these are movie goers and not comic book fans.

Wonder Woman will be the big draw for BvS IMHO. My daugther said all of her friends at school want to see the movie because of her. My wife is in the same camp. If Gadot shows well in BvS it could set the solo WW woman up for a big box office.

Sadly, most of my friends who know about this movie think it's doomed to fail. They never have any good answer when I ask why, but there's little faith for them. :shrug:

I know why I am pessimistic about this movie, and it comes down to my wife, kids, and friends reactions. I live in a "we love" superhero movie house, we see just about every hero movie that comes out ASAP. From my wife, and almost a direct quote, "Batman vs Superman, that sounds stupid like something a five year old would have come up with while playing with toys. I have no interest in that." This is a girl that has read comics, seen all the movies, and even done some cosplay (limited to Halloween, but she has worn it to work on Halloween). My kids agree with her, and jump on the bandwagon and start bashing when she says it.

My friends are also big movie people, and have seen the trailers and basically shrugged. I have many people at work that love these movies also. They are usually at the theater on the "midnight" showing. They are even showing little excitement.

There is buzz on the comic forums and comic sites, but I have seen none of it outside of here.

And in my household it is the opposite reaction. lol My wife and daughter want to see this movie because of Wonder Woman, and my son wants to see Batman and Superman battle as I explained the DKR story to him. He thinks it will be cool.

Everyone I have talked to at work wants to see Deadpool and BvS, but are lukewarm on X-Men Apocalypse (I keep telling them it will be good......) and Captain America Civil War. The AoU dud has done some damage to the Avengers franchise, and most people I know think the Captain America vs. Iron Man in Civil War is a dumb idea. They would likely change that view if they had read the Civil War arc, but these are movie goers and not comic book fans.

Wonder Woman will be the big draw for BvS IMHO. My daugther said all of her friends at school want to see the movie because of her. My wife is in the same camp. If Gadot shows well in BvS it could set the solo WW woman up for a big box office.

I think there is another facet which comes into play here, and is affecting how my wife and I are looking at BvS. Neither of us liked Man of Steel all that much, in fact my wife almost fell asleep during several parts. So even if BvS is not a sequel it still has the same cast (with additions), same director, many of the same writers, and a similar feel. So for us there is no goodwill based on the first movie. How are people that did not care for MoS going to view this movie? Are they going to see it as a sequel, and skip it?

Lets look at how Marvel made The Avengers massive. On rotten Tomatoes: Iron Man = 94%, Iron Man 2 = 72%, Thor = 77%, and Captain America = 79%. Those are fairly solid ratings. That is the definition of goodwill, and it paid off big time. Now MoS stands at 56%, lower than all the movies that lead into The Avengers, and it is the only lead in movie. Yes, Nolan's Batman has goodwill, but WB is distancing the DC movie universe from those movies, and they do not tie in.

So this in my opinion is the big wildcard. How much of Avengers success was related to goodwill, and how will the decidedly mixed reaction to MoS play into BvS success.

I trust McWeeny & he's definitely a comic book geek.

Before founding HitFlix for years he was literally the only reviewer for Ain't It Cool News who could write _at all_ (low bar, but still...)

He was "Moriarty."

There seems to be a lot of doubt about this movie. I don't why... It has Batman and Superman in it AND they're going to fight! It's going to be great (thumbs u

Snyder and Man of Steel are the reasons there is doubt.

i also think one of the other doubt could be how different it is from marvel movies and they can also be the ones that want or wanted WB/DC to copy Marvel movies bit by bit. but has Deadpool just showed everybody is that you can be has different from Marvel movies and still be good to great movie. i bet Snyder learn from affleck and the same goes affleck learning from Snyder in making movies has big.

There seems to be a lot of doubt about this movie. I don't why... It has Batman and Superman in it AND they're going to fight! It's going to be great (thumbs u

Man of Steel was a good movie. It just happened to come across like an Alien Invasion movie with Superman as the hero (IMO). BvS will see the focus return to the Superheroes. It has to if they're going to build the tension between the two main characters. Just wait, it'll be a great movie :)

Man of Steel was a good movie. It just happened to come across like an Alien Invasion movie with Superman as the hero (IMO). BvS will see the focus return to the Superheroes. It has to if they're going to build the tension between the two main characters. Just wait, it'll be a great movie :)

Going to need to win me back. I did not care for MoS. For me it was marginal at best.