• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I trust McWeeny & he's definitely a comic book geek.

Before founding HitFlix for years he was literally the only reviewer for Ain't It Cool News who could write _at all_ (low bar, but still...)

He was "Moriarty."

Soo, how do these numbers add up to his expectations.

'Deadpool' Smashes Box Office Records On Way to $260 Million Worldwide

Opening

There seems to be a lot of doubt about this movie. I don't why... It has Batman and Superman in it AND they're going to fight! It's going to be great (thumbs u

Snyder and Man of Steel are the reasons there is doubt.

Man of Steel was a good movie. It just happened to come across like an Alien Invasion movie with Superman as the hero (IMO). BvS will see the focus return to the Superheroes. It has to if they're going to build the tension between the two main characters. Just wait, it'll be a great movie :)

Going to need to win me back. I did not care for MoS. For me it was marginal at best.

It'll win you back or my name's not B... ;)

Will the Green Lantern Appear in Batman v Superman? We Go Straight to the (Rumored) Source

PS: I don't know how much you can give away about this, but what kind of scenes did you film?

DA: Um, I don't know what I can say that's not spoilery. So, let's just say, I filmed good ones.

PS: Now, there's been a lot of speculation, but are you able to tell me more about your character?

DA: I can't. They told me I couldn't say anything.

PS: Hasn't a name been released though?

DA: Oh, yes. It does appear, but it's kind of an undercover thing. The name appears on me at one point.

PS: Well, I was going to ask what's your favorite color, but maybe I shouldn't go there.

DA: No? Blue. Definitely blue, but I appreciate nature as well and everything green.

They must have scary non-disclosures.

VtxjeZJ.png

There seems to be a lot of doubt about this movie. I don't why... It has Batman and Superman in it AND they're going to fight! It's going to be great (thumbs u

Man of Steel was a good movie. It just happened to come across like an Alien Invasion movie with Superman as the hero (IMO). BvS will see the focus return to the Superheroes. It has to if they're going to build the tension between the two main characters. Just wait, it'll be a great movie :)

Going to need to win me back. I did not care for MoS. For me it was marginal at best.

I do not have your faith. It's Snyder, who has done 1 good movie. My wife has said she has no intention of going, meaning I am very unlikely to go opening weekend. Besides, all we have at this point is conjecture. You think the movie will be great, for you I hope it is. Nothing I have seen has excited me yet.

I do not have your faith. It's Snyder, who has done 1 good movie. My wife has said she has no intention of going, meaning I am very unlikely to go opening weekend. Besides, all we have at this point is conjecture. You think the movie will be great, for you I hope it is. Nothing I have seen has excited me yet.

(shrug) Then don't see it. Based on your points above, why bother?

I think it is clear at this point he has concerns with the upcoming movie. I don't see the concern myself. But each person has their own triggers and perceptions.

Sadly, most of my friends who know about this movie think it's doomed to fail. They never have any good answer when I ask why, but there's little faith for them. :shrug:

I know why I am pessimistic about this movie, and it comes down to my wife, kids, and friends reactions. I live in a "we love" superhero movie house, we see just about every hero movie that comes out ASAP. From my wife, and almost a direct quote, "Batman vs Superman, that sounds stupid like something a five year old would have come up with while playing with toys. I have no interest in that." This is a girl that has read comics, seen all the movies, and even done some cosplay (limited to Halloween, but she has worn it to work on Halloween). My kids agree with her, and jump on the bandwagon and start bashing when she says it.

My friends are also big movie people, and have seen the trailers and basically shrugged. I have many people at work that love these movies also. They are usually at the theater on the "midnight" showing. They are even showing little excitement.

There is buzz on the comic forums and comic sites, but I have seen none of it outside of here.

And in my household it is the opposite reaction. lol My wife and daughter want to see this movie because of Wonder Woman, and my son wants to see Batman and Superman battle as I explained the DKR story to him. He thinks it will be cool.

Everyone I have talked to at work wants to see Deadpool and BvS, but are lukewarm on X-Men Apocalypse (I keep telling them it will be good......) and Captain America Civil War. The AoU dud has done some damage to the Avengers franchise, and most people I know think the Captain America vs. Iron Man in Civil War is a dumb idea. They would likely change that view if they had read the Civil War arc, but these are movie goers and not comic book fans.

Wonder Woman will be the big draw for BvS IMHO. My daugther said all of her friends at school want to see the movie because of her. My wife is in the same camp. If Gadot shows well in BvS it could set the solo WW woman up for a big box office.

I think there is another facet which comes into play here, and is affecting how my wife and I are looking at BvS. Neither of us liked Man of Steel all that much, in fact my wife almost fell asleep during several parts. So even if BvS is not a sequel it still has the same cast (with additions), same director, many of the same writers, and a similar feel. So for us there is no goodwill based on the first movie. How are people that did not care for MoS going to view this movie? Are they going to see it as a sequel, and skip it?

Lets look at how Marvel made The Avengers massive. On rotten Tomatoes: Iron Man = 94%, Iron Man 2 = 72%, Thor = 77%, and Captain America = 79%. Those are fairly solid ratings. That is the definition of goodwill, and it paid off big time. Now MoS stands at 56%, lower than all the movies that lead into The Avengers, and it is the only lead in movie. Yes, Nolan's Batman has goodwill, but WB is distancing the DC movie universe from those movies, and they do not tie in.

So this in my opinion is the big wildcard. How much of Avengers success was related to goodwill, and how will the decidedly mixed reaction to MoS play into BvS success.

I think MoS will have zero impact on this movie. My son and I liked it, but my wife and daughter were meh about it. It was okay, but not great.

However, my wife liked the Nolan Batman trilogy so that will work in its favor.

The big draw, however, is Wonder Woman for bother my wife and daugther. That is the big difference between the Marvel CU and DCU. Marvel has secondary female characters while DC has Wonder Woman.

WRT the Marvel movies, the goodwill is waning. No one I know outside of comic fans is really amped up about Civil War. Like I said, my co-workers think it is silly. Add in the fact that the non-comic collectors I know thought AoU and Ant-Man were both meh and it is a bit of a problem for Marvel. The only upcoming Marvel flick that my non-comic collecting friends/co-workers are looking forward to is GoTG 2. Don't get me wrong, I think the Marvel franchises will do great numbers if even a weak flick like Ant-Man can turn in such a strong showing, but I think the "wow" factor is gone from most of the Avengers related properties now.

That being said, since I was a big X-Men fan when I started reading/collecting comics as a kid I am hoping that Fox is able to do that franchise justice. :wishluck:

The big draw, however, is Wonder Woman for bother my wife and daugther. That is the big difference between the Marvel CU and DCU. Marvel has secondary female characters while DC has Wonder Woman.

She's the draw for me, too. I just want her to be awesome so bad. I was iffy on seeing it in the theater, but I think I'll check it out.

Report: Warner Bros. is worried about ‘Batman v Superman’, but not because of its quality

According to BOF, Warner Bros. is indeed concerned about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but not because of the quality of the movie. They’re more concerned about how the audience will respond to it, and how it will perform at the box office. BOF speculates that the mainstream audience is used to the “popcorn” movies that Marvel produces, and won’t respond well to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’s deep story that was written by an Oscar winner.

hm

"Deep story"? How deep does it need to be? This feels more like a promotional ad (written b y an Oscar winner!) than an actual "concern"...it's got Bats vs. Supes vs. Lex with WW on the side, so I can't imagine it won't be at least rousing fun...

On a side note, I' can't really tell whether WW is a major player in this film or kind of a supporting role to the Big Two and the Big Two Villains (Lex and DD). I can't imagine they'll be able to do a lot with her right off the bat given everything else that's in this film.

Dan

Report: Warner Bros. is worried about ‘Batman v Superman’, but not because of its quality

According to BOF, Warner Bros. is indeed concerned about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but not because of the quality of the movie. They’re more concerned about how the audience will respond to it, and how it will perform at the box office. BOF speculates that the mainstream audience is used to the “popcorn” movies that Marvel produces, and won’t respond well to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’s deep story that was written by an Oscar winner.

hm

Yet another site posting the same exact story from McWeeny. Three pages back.

I've noticed three of the major movie sites are now quoting Drew McWeeney ( lol ) about his sources telling him Warner is nervous. It is not clear who his sources are. If you read the comments section on the Collider site folks point out he is a hardcore Marvel fan, and that this may be clouding his opinion.

Collider Movie Talk: Is The DC Cinematic Universe In Trouble?

The assumption is the rumors may be coming from the non-superhero fan executives that feel like they know better than the fans this isn't going to work. Also, that McWeeney has been hit-or-miss. Though at times he has dug something up that was right. But on this one it feels misguided, as many cinema patrons clearly know Batman and Superman.

We shall see.

hm

:roflmao:

I love how they closed it with some self-promotion and a slam bordering on self parody.

hm

giphy.gif

:baiting:

I love the "BOF Speculates" nonsense.....nobody acutally knows what the outcome is going to be.....it could tank, but it could be a knockout as well.

Enough with the Marvel fanboys reporting their speculations as fact using unnamed sources.

One douchenozzle with an opinion doesn't justify an entire franchise crumbling.