• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Brett Culp is the founder of the Rising Heroes Project, which is a non-profit using superhero examples and values to inspire children.

The Risking Heroes Project

He recently posted a review of the movie, which caught the attention of Ray Fisher. Especially since you can tell Culp immerses himself in superhero lore to the point it drives his mission in life.

x99U9OX.jpg

In the video, Culp gets a bit emotional but accurately depicts the film as the tale of two heroes trying to find themselves again. Batman after years of battle and loss, questioning the results of his efforts, and Superman questioning if his presence is really benefiting the people he is trying to protect. His argument is that throughout the film they are clearly not the heroes we've known for years, and the movie serves as a springboard to get them back to where we know they can be. It's quite a compelling argument, and personally, I happen to agree.

Definitely worth a watch.

That was touching, inspiring, intelligent and really great.

Thanks for sharing.

This movie was AWESOME!

I enjoyed every bit of it. From start to finish I thought it was great.

Eisenberg was good as Lex Luthor. No one wants to see another Lex besides Gene Hackman and that's why people are so quick to say that he sucked or that his motivations were flawed. He's psychotic obviously. Of course his motivations are flawed.

In fact I'll say that the reason why these characters were great was because of their flaws. Sure, Superman could've used his X-Ray vision to see the bomb in the wheel chair and prevented it from going off...but he wasn't looking for it. Sure maybe Batman could've tried chit chatting with Superman instead of straight up going for the throat but what fun would that be?

I mean as a writer, you have the power to make characters do, say, and feel anything that you can imagine. If you spend your time going "But wait Superman is Superman and in the comics he would've done this....or in Christopher Reeve's Superman he would've done this..." then all you do is limit your imagination and limit the story that you can tell with these characters.

I for one applaud the flaws in our characters such as they are in the movie. I think it was a great flick. It has me ridiculously excited to see what they'll do with Aquaman. Did you see him fly through that water like Superman flies through air? It was awesome! Anyone who says that this movie was bad or that it didn't live up to the hype or that God forbid it wasn't as good as Deadpool needs to step back and really think about what you saw.

It was awesome.

My only gripe is how many times Superman saved Lois; 3 times if my count is correct, holy #$%^, couldn't Lois have pulled her own fat out of trouble at least once on her own? I think it would have been more helpful for her character if when she was trying to retrieve the kryptonite spear, she actually got it and got through the rubble herself and got the spear to one of our heroes by her own efforts instead of drowning and having to have Supes rescue her. They kept saying Lois was the key, this was a least a chance for her to contribute and shine in the story in a believable way and be a heroine in her own right instead of being the damsel in distress and a liability to Superman again, and again and again- sigh.

My only gripe is how many times Superman saved Lois; 3 times if my count is correct, holy #$%^, couldn't Lois have pulled her own fat out of trouble at least once on her own? I think it would have been more helpful for her character if when she was trying to retrieve the kryptonite spear, she actually got it and got through the rubble herself and got the spear to one of our heroes by her own efforts instead of drowning and having to have Supes rescue her. They kept saying Lois was the key, this was a least a chance for her to contribute and shine in the story in a believable way and be a heroine in her own right instead of being the damsel in distress and a liability to Superman again, and again and again- sigh.

Yeah she was a real person_without_enough_empathy

Brett Culp is the founder of the Rising Heroes Project, which is a non-profit using superhero examples and values to inspire children.

The Risking Heroes Project

He recently posted a review of the movie, which caught the attention of Ray Fisher. Especially since you can tell Culp immerses himself in superhero lore to the point it drives his mission in life.

x99U9OX.jpg

In the video, Culp gets a bit emotional but accurately depicts the film as the tale of two heroes trying to find themselves again. Batman after years of battle and loss, questioning the results of his efforts, and Superman questioning if his presence is really benefiting the people he is trying to protect. His argument is that throughout the film they are clearly not the heroes we've known for years, and the movie serves as a springboard to get them back to where we know they can be. It's quite a compelling argument, and personally, I happen to agree.

Definitely worth a watch.

That was touching, inspiring, intelligent and really great.

Thanks for sharing.

His project is very inspiring to begin with. So to listen to how much thought he put into this movie over his two favorite heroes was really cool.

Flagging this review (from 20 or so posts above) again, as it's _perfect_.

Mad spoilers, but eloquently breaks down why many of us were so disappointed with the flick:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-v-superman-spoiler-faq-of-justice-1767720335

This is the second time that same review has been posted. But if it gives some motivation...

Why stop there? Why not thrust the spear into Doomsday herself?

Am I the only one that kept thinking Aquaman would lend a hand? (shrug)

I thought I'd see these sea mammals from the deep rise up to help them... surely, Aquaman would be concerned about all the ruckus upstairs.

Flagging this review (from 20 or so posts above) again, as it's _perfect_.

Mad spoilers, but eloquently breaks down why many of us were so disappointed with the flick:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-v-superman-spoiler-faq-of-justice-1767720335

Thanks for reposting it. I actually liked Man of Steel, but other than that... the review is spot on.

Heck, you're right, she could have easily snuck up on Doomsday and done him in herself. What a great plot twist that would have been.

I don't think much of Lex's role made much sense at all. The kryptonite part I get, but creating Doomsday because he feared Superman's powers makes no sense. If that's his plan to protect the world from Superman, it makes him look pretty stupid imo. I don't see how anyone can justify his reasoning for this. It's ridiculous.

Superman destroyed a city fighting Zod & Lex's thinking is:

I'll manipulate Zod's dna with Kryptonian tech to bring him back as Doomsday & possibly wipe out the continent to stop Superman. Then we'll be safe. I'll also contact the universes worst tyrant that enslaves entire worlds as back up, just in case.

I think they should have spent more time building on Lex's hatred towards him. Batman & Superman teaming up to stop him after they realize he's pinned them against each other would have been enough. It would have been better had they left Doomsday & Wonder Woman out of the film. My 2c .

Saw the movie in 3d yesterday

So my take on it

1 - best dark batman movie ever !!!!!!!!!!!

2 - the first 30 minutes was crappy

3 - don't take wife to movie she will catch you drooling over wonder woman

4 - poor ending (see 2 change first to last )

5 - academy award special effects ! (Doomsday)

6 - batman rocked in action scenes WOW

7 - Wonder woman fighting Doomsday was amazing worth the price to the movie alone

8 - Lois was miscast really bad

9 - liked Alfred and liked he became tek savvy and part of the action

10 - they need a better superman this one looked / acted and seemed dumb

---------

there you go :)

Worth the money

I go into these movies with an open mind. They all help our hobby and bring new collectors in. I'm not one to analyze every scene or criticize minor parts.

But I have say, I was just waiting for Superman to break down and start crying. He looks so upset in many parts of the movie.