• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

'cept the dude's wrong. Fight Club is a far superior movie to The Dark Knight.

And, it's been said, but I give BvS mad credit for including the KGBeast. That was a nice easter egg for fans.

I have no problem with Zack's portrayal of Superman, but his characterization of Batman in BvS is what ruined the movie for me. Henry Cavill does a very good job of playing Superman and Affleck was a good Batman. Just didn't like the role they had for Batman in this movie.
I think a lot of the 'dislike' is due to a key story element: These are NOT the characters we've known. It's a NEW take.

Batman got there in the end though. But prior to the film Batman has had a 10 year career in a world without Superman. We've NEVER seen that before (as far as I know). No Superman to raise the bar. Until the film's storyline. Right? That was a main focus of the story. Alfred's concerns. Batman's devolving ethics...

It's good stuff. Complex. Fresh.

Bingo! Very well said Davenport and you have hit my biggest problems with the movie. I don't mind some tampering with my favorite characters, which Batman and Superman are, it's just I thought it went too far and I blame Snyder for that. And you are right, I like the Batman we get at the end.

(thumbs u You're 'blame' is my 'appreciate', so I looked it up. Here's where it goes: "screenplay by Chris Terrio and David S. Goyer".

We both got to the same place by film's end. That's the main thing. And I don't think we're supposed to like Batman...at first. We're Alfred, right?, looking at a hero who's lost and still loosing his way. Too dark, too obsessed, too vengeful. He's right on the verge of becoming what he detests. We hate it and our heart breaks for his plight.

That's the film's set up. Now we go for the ride.

For me there were two key moments...

Batman's spent the entire time preparing for battle. Superman shows up and the first words out of his mouth are "Bruce, I need your help."

Man, as a lifelong fan that really got to me.

And...

When Bruce said "I failed him in life. I will not fail him in death."

So, yeah. As a lifelong fan I got emotionally played. Sounds like you did too. Not an easy thing to do. I thought it was very clever over all, unexpected and absolutely fresh.

Dang it! Don't make me like or appreciate this movie after I left the theater thoroughly disgusted - almost vowing to never watch another Zack Snyder movie again.

Seriously though, I appreciate those elements in the movie, but it's not where I thought the DCU should launch from. For instance, I would like to have seen a crime fighting Batman before I got dark, vengeful Batman.

My only question going forward is... do I buy the Blu-ray when it comes out? I had sworn not to when leaving the theater, but not so sure now.

(thumbs u

:):applause: You're almost there 40sJohn. So one more consideration...

All the PR. And the Trailers. The very Title itself, focus you on 'Batman v Superman'.

But...

After Superman's "Bruce I need your help" the entire battle is showing us just how lost Batman is. All Batman's pain, his loss of hope, years of going it alone, his fear of wasting his life... now has a focal point. Superman.

"Bruce, wait, you don't understand."

And as lifelong fans we're in on it. Batman has completely lost it. It that moment Batman's gone rogue. The very thing he projected on to Superman when discussing with Alfred. Batman's going to kill him.

Man, you've got to appreciate that perception-shift. From the 'King Kong vs Godzilla' PR slant to what it actually became in the theater? It's damn near genius. But I'll settle for extremely clever. How about you? :wishluck:

And another one.

It really is a very different and complex movie. Too bad most won't bother to try and get that.

They will compare it to the fluff piece coming out next month and how BVS should have followed that light hearted tone.

I have no problem with Zack's portrayal of Superman, but his characterization of Batman in BvS is what ruined the movie for me. Henry Cavill does a very good job of playing Superman and Affleck was a good Batman. Just didn't like the role they had for Batman in this movie.
I think a lot of the 'dislike' is due to a key story element: These are NOT the characters we've known. It's a NEW take.

Batman got there in the end though. But prior to the film Batman has had a 10 year career in a world without Superman. We've NEVER seen that before (as far as I know). No Superman to raise the bar. Until the film's storyline. Right? That was a main focus of the story. Alfred's concerns. Batman's devolving ethics...

Bingo! Very well said Davenport and you have hit my biggest problems with the movie. I don't mind some tampering with my favorite characters, which Batman and Superman are, it's just I thought it went too far and I blame Snyder for that. And you are right, I like the Batman we get at the end.

(thumbs u You're 'blame' is my 'appreciate', so I looked it up. Here's where it goes: "screenplay by Chris Terrio and David S. Goyer".

We both got to the same place by film's end. That's the main thing. And I don't think we're supposed to like Batman...at first. We're Alfred, right?, looking at a hero who's lost and still loosing his way. Too dark, too obsessed, too vengeful. He's right on the verge of becoming what he detests. We hate it and our heart breaks for his plight.

Batman's spent the entire time preparing for battle. Superman shows up and the first words out of his mouth are "Bruce, I need your help."

And...

So, yeah. As a lifelong fan I got emotionally played. Sounds like you did too. Not an easy thing to do. I thought it was very clever over all, unexpected and absolutely fresh.

Dang it! Don't make me like or appreciate this movie after I left the theater thoroughly disgusted - almost vowing to never watch another Zack Snyder movie again.

Seriously though, I appreciate those elements in the movie, but it's not where I thought the DCU should launch from. For instance, I would like to have seen a crime fighting Batman before I got dark, vengeful Batman.

My only question going forward is... do I buy the Blu-ray when it comes out? I had sworn not to when leaving the theater, but not so sure now.

(thumbs u

All the PR. And the Trailers. The very Title itself, focus you on 'Batman v Superman'.

But...

After Superman's "Bruce I need your help" the entire battle is showing us just how lost Batman is. All Batman's pain, his loss of hope, years of going it alone, his fear of wasting his life... now has a focal point. Superman.

And as lifelong fans we're in on it. Batman has completely lost it. It that moment Batman's gone rogue. The very thing he projected on to Superman when discussing with Alfred. Batman's going to kill him.

Man, you've got to appreciate that perception-shift. From the 'King Kong vs Godzilla' PR slant to what it actually became in the theater? It's damn near genius. But I'll settle for extremely clever. How about you? :wishluck:

And another one.

It really is a very different and complex movie. Too bad most won't bother to try and get that.

They will compare it to the fluff piece coming out next month and how BVS should have followed that light hearted tone.

Yeah, I don't buy this. If it was a "different and complex movie" then reviewers would have loved it. They're all over that junk. Instead it was a poorly put together and boring movie.

And...

(thumbs u

But...

And another one.

Yeah, I don't buy this. If it was a "different and complex movie" then reviewers would have loved it. They're all over that junk. Instead it was a poorly put together and boring movie.

kinda what this guy wrote yesterday

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/movies/deadpool-isnt-the-only-solution-but-batman-v-superman-is-the-problem.html?_r=0

And...

(thumbs u

But...

And another one.

It's all just opinion.

I thought it was well put together. I followed it from the start - understood where it was and what it was trying to say - I think it's the closest thing to a superhero FILM that's been made.

Other than Watchmen, which is great.

I think the person that wrote this is not aware of The Dark Knight Returns - which probably means non-comic book person.

When it was over, I, too, was overcome with the urge to brood, mope and cultivate stubble I could ponderously stroke while asking, “What’s the most ridiculous thing about this movie?”

Maybe it’s that a fight between Batman and Superman is fundamentally illogical. (Uh, he’s super, man.)

Yup. The argument of 'how can Batman even fight Superman - he's Superman!'

Envy of Superman’s Christ-ness so consumes Mr. Affleck’s Batman that he’s dreaming in messiah complexes. Awake (but scarcely alive), he’s so confused: Does he want to be Jesus or Pontius Pilate? Decisions.

He's not realizing the dreams were actually Bruce Wayne being sent a message about Darkseid and an Injustice: Gods Among Us Superman taking over the world.

The exchange of blows might have imparted a homoerotic charge.

Okay, done with that article. It's written by a tool.

I think the person that wrote this is not aware of The Dark Knight Returns - which probably means non-comic book person.

When it was over, I, too, was overcome with the urge to brood, mope and cultivate stubble I could ponderously stroke while asking, “What’s the most ridiculous thing about this movie?”

Maybe it’s that a fight between Batman and Superman is fundamentally illogical. (Uh, he’s super, man.)

Yup. The argument of 'how can Batman even fight Superman - he's Superman!'

Envy of Superman’s Christ-ness so consumes Mr. Affleck’s Batman that he’s dreaming in messiah complexes. Awake (but scarcely alive), he’s so confused: Does he want to be Jesus or Pontius Pilate? Decisions.

He's not realizing the dreams were actually Bruce Wayne being sent a message about Darkseid and an Injustice: Gods Among Us Superman taking over the world.

Okay, done with that article. It's written by a tool.

he can only dream of becoming a prolific poster on a comic book message board rather than a New York Times columnist lol

Edited by paperheart

This article pulls from the various critic comments about the movie to show how in certain cases the critics didn't even have a source to reference from with their comments. Though the article writer starts off with his take on people that bailed on the movie due to critic statements.

Batman v Superman: Battle of Fans and Critics

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is pulling in all sorts of diverse reviews. Most critics don't like it, most fans love it and others between think it's so-so. If you haven't seen the movie because of critic reviews, then you're ignorant. If you haven't seen it based on reviews that you haven't even actually read, and just look at the rating they give, then you're just plain dumb.

I read reviews before seeing the movie because I didn't really care about the final opinion since I was going to see it no matter what. I read executives gave it a standing ovation on the first screening, then after the premiere critics started ripping it apart for various and commonly stupid reasons. I saw the movie and made my own judgement, then read more reviews and I think they are all kinds of jacked up.

batman-v-superman-battle-of-fans-and-critics-pictures-of-that-sequence-933321.jpg

Bruce wakes up at his computer with flashes and smoke in front of him and someone, who appears to be The Flash (Ezra Miller) speaks to him.

Who is "him"? Superman or Lex? Was that "Knightmare" sequence all from Bruce or was it visions from The Flash? That might explain the horrific look Bruce gave at the computer before it cuts away. And The Flash scene can't be a dream because afterward papers are still flying. Topic of big discussion, which is what Zack Snyder wanted from what I understand.

"Nothing means anything in “Batman V Superman,” with multiple dream sequences existing merely to mix up the color palette and provide some money shots for the ad campaign."

That's a quote from one critic. Seeing as how this little bit about the Flash is the last nightmare, dream, vision or whatever you want to call it right now, then I don't think this quote stands at all. We see small bits from one "dream sequence" in the trailer, and all of sequences like it have meaning and purpose, the critic just didn't care to think or look into it enough.

Not that Batman v Superman was a solid film. It had a lot crammed into less than 3 hours. But if these critics are going to evaluate a comic book film - yet they do not have a point of reference to compare to - it could get confusing what is a fan-nod and what is wasted screen time.

he can only dream of becoming a prolific poster on a comic book message board rather than a New York Times columnist lol

If a NY columnist has to compare a fight between super-powered being as 'homoerotic', I guess he has found his comedy crutch. But is that really what went through your mind with any of these scenes?

It's weak writing.

:roflmao:

:cloud9:

But I wonder if he is a real man that urinates in the woods.

(:

(Shock!) I agree with the NYT columnist.

And who cares if he hasn't read Dark Knight Returns?

The film should have been able to stand on its own, you know, for the lay public.

And, you know, not instill boredom.

For example, as a comic fan, I appreciated V for Vendetta, but with its whopping $70 million domestic gross, I'm fairly certain Joe Public had better ways to spend two hours than watch Moore's ponderous referendum on Thatcher's politics on the big screen.

I know there are some advocates of the movie who think many if not most detractors (including most critics and some civilians) cite the complexity of the movie vs most marvel movies as one of the main reasons it wasn't enjoyed as much as it could have/should have been by many.

While that may be true for some, I think it's the larger global issue of trying to fit too much in, not having enough time to do it, then editing and pacing it poorly as a result, leaving some large holes with many confusing scenes and motivations without foundation. It was too complex without the foundation. And I get that 'the studio execs' might have forced cuts for time and ruined an otherwise stellar movie, but that happens to a million directors EVERY SINGLE DAY and it wasn't Snyder's first movie, or even his first Superman movie, and I'm sure he got a lot of notes from studio execs and fans and critics a like after MOS. But it seems like he took the more 'arthouse approach' of creating art that he HOPED fans would appreciate, instead of the Marvel approach of thinking, "What would fans enjoy? and working backwards from there."

Not that Snyder was wrong to take the more ambitious approach, that's how we get the best movies, the movies that make us think the most, and when done properly, the movies that really last with the audience. He wanted to challenge the audience to be more, and its rare that a movie does that. BUT that way is inherently riskier, with a higher chance to be panned or criticized. BUT when you challenge the audience, the movie itself must also meet the challenge, and when its very clear to any noob that there are major plotholes, terrible editing, terrible sound editing, and odd pacing, you can't blame the audience for pointing out those holes. Its not like you didn't know it would be compared to Marvel movies, its not like you didn't know the running time of the movie the whole time.

My main issue, aside from the technical stuff like editing and sound, was that he wanted to challenge our conventional view of what we knew of superman and batman. THIS IS NOT THE BATMAN YOU KNOW. THIS IS NOT THE SUPERMAN YOU KNOW. SO IF YOU MAKE INFERENCES FROM PRECONCIVED NOTIONS, YOU WILL NOT GET THIS MOVIE.

But at the same time, the movie asks you to PLEASE MAKE INFERENCES ABOUT THE MOTIVATIONS OF LEX LUTHOR, BATMAN'S DREAMS, SUPERMAN SEEING AND TALKING TO DEAD PEOPLE, AND DARKSEID'S INVOLVEMENT, AND USE YOUR PRECONCIEVED NOTIONS TO MAKE THESE INFERENCES, OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT GET THIS MOVIE.

This makes it feel EXTRA punishing to many people who only have a cursory knowledge of Superman and Batman, makes it feel extra esoteric. But this isn't the type of movie that should be esoteric, it should be for everyone. And it clearly (to me at least) wasn't. So for many critics and fans, you've got a grand scale joyless arthouse flick with garbage sound and suspect editing, talking about stuff you can't possibly understand with some very cool set piece action scenes, most of which was seen in trailers.

With all that being said, I personally thought the last 3rd of the movie was awesome enough for me to give it a very mild recommendation, but only if you're a big DC fan. But it boggles the mind how any one could overtly ignore the pure noob mistakes or plotholes enough to give it a 9 or 10.

And for those who say the 'director's cut' might close many of the holes, I totally agree with you. But that doesn't make the critics (or anyone else) wrong (or shills or marvel sheep) for disliking the movie they saw. Of course some might be sheep, and some may revel in piling on failures, but honestly most people don't have any other agenda, other than they wished they saw a better movie.

And for those who say the 'director's cut' might close many of the holes, I totally agree with you. But that doesn't make the critics (or anyone else) wrong (or shills or marvel sheep) for disliking the movie they saw. Of course some might be sheep, and some may revel in piling on failures, but honestly most people don't have any other agenda, other than they wished they saw a better movie.

You're definitely not a Marvel zombie or in on some fantasy destruction scheme against DC/Warner just because you didn't appreciate the movie (all or in part). A different message is conveyed, though, when rallying against a movie never viewed or making it out to be a bust repeatedly when the box office results and viewer feedback says otherwise. I've noted a few times myself this is not a flawless film. And although the fanboy breadcrumbs are really cool throughout, there are those that go over your head until you understand the backstory.

Some critic noting he perceived homoerotic images from the fight scene (seriously?) or that Batman could never fight Superman and survive have some experience limitations. One is sexual in nature, and the other is lack of awareness Batman and Superman have fought before.

10 Best Batman v Superman Fights In DC Comic Books

I do look forward to the Ultimate Edition. Though even with that, it will not be the full four hours Zack Snyder now admitted made up the complete film.

By the way, how does a director go overboard on shooting scenes that extensive and the studio not pulling it back? All that extra footage had to cost location and actor time.

By the way, how does a director go overboard on shooting scenes that extensive and the studio not pulling it back? All that extra footage had to cost location and actor time.

umm...it happens more often than you think.

And George Miller shot 480 hours of footage for Fury Road.

Oh, I don't mean rough cut scenes. I'm sure most movies go well and above the two to three hour mark on those to then peel back what scene they do want to use.

BATMAN V SUPERMAN Editor Reveals the Film’s Original Epic Runtime

Also revealed in this interview with Brenner is the fact that the original cut had even more subplots than those on display in the final cut of the film. Some SPOILERS follow if you haven’t seen the film yet:

"It was a lot to juggle. So the plot lines of a couple characters had to go. These people are currently in the movie but we don’t track them, and it’s okay. What’s kind of fun is that we went back and did an extended cut where we put a lot of this stuff back, and we refined it into the same rhythm as the theatrical release. So what was once a nearly four hour cut with absolutely everything was ridiculous – ended up being about a three hour cut, once all these added storylines were refined with the fat was cut out."

There is a four-hour finished cut of this movie out there that the crew then reviewed to take it down further. Not the Richard Donner Superman 2 type scenes - actual refined shots.

Flash looks like a homeless person. What horrible casting.

If that is horrible, how would you describe the casting and CGI (e.g. the Turd, I mean Thing lol ) from the last FF movie?

Oh, I don't mean rough cut scenes. I'm sure most movies go well and above the two to three hour mark on those to then peel back what scene they do want to use.

BATMAN V SUPERMAN Editor Reveals the Film’s Original Epic Runtime

Also revealed in this interview with Brenner is the fact that the original cut had even more subplots than those on display in the final cut of the film. Some SPOILERS follow if you haven’t seen the film yet:

"It was a lot to juggle. So the plot lines of a couple characters had to go. These people are currently in the movie but we don’t track them, and it’s okay. What’s kind of fun is that we went back and did an extended cut where we put a lot of this stuff back, and we refined it into the same rhythm as the theatrical release. So what was once a nearly four hour cut with absolutely everything was ridiculous – ended up being about a three hour cut, once all these added storylines were refined with the fat was cut out."

There is a four-hour finished cut of this movie out there that the crew then reviewed to take it down further. Not the Richard Donner Superman 2 type scenes - actual refined shots.

Ed Wood was very efficient with his camera time.