• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Flash looks like a homeless person. What horrible casting.

If that is horrible, how would you describe the casting and CGI (e.g. the Turd, I mean Thing lol ) from the last FF movie?

Now that you mention it, I don't even remember what the Thing looked like in that last FF movie.

Couldn't have been too memorable.

I DO remember controversy about him running around with no shorts on.

...oh yeah, and the Flash looks horrible. First Flash movie ever and it already looks like they're getting ready to crush my childhood as bad as andru/esposito did when they took over that book.

This is a crucial point that hasn't been adequately addressed with any reboot (DC or Marvel). Someone suggested that "it's their turn" like these characters we grew up with from the 40's through the 70's and beyond had their time in the sun and should be put out to pasture so the next generation of heroes can have their shot. Wait a minute! So exactly when did we ever get accurate media representations of our childhood heroes? hm

It could be argued that Marvel has done the best job of threading that needle by trying to incorporate the SA look and background into characters updated to the new millennium. But what about DC? So many of the interesting second tier characters (once you get past Supe and Batman) have never had an opportunity to shine in a major film as they originally appeared and evolved. From where I sit, it looks like a lot of fine traditional DC heroes have been denied their shot and skipped over in an attempt to look hipper to a younger demographic more familiar with more dystopian heroes and storylines.

Well said. I would like to see a Barry Allen like my 70's era hero from the comics. I'm ok with the tv version of the Flash, but it would be good to get an adult, somewhere between the ages of Batman and Supes, to play a mature crime fighting Flash.

If that is horrible, how would you describe the casting and CGI (e.g. the Turd, I mean Thing lol ) from the last FF movie?

Now that you mention it, I don't even remember what the Thing looked like in that last FF movie.

...oh yeah, and the Flash looks horrible. First Flash movie ever and it already looks like they're getting ready to crush my childhood as bad as andru/esposito did when they took over that book.

This is a crucial point that hasn't been adequately addressed with any reboot (DC or Marvel). Someone suggested that "it's their turn" like these characters we grew up with from the 40's through the 70's and beyond had their time in the sun and should be put out to pasture so the next generation of heroes can have their shot. Wait a minute! So exactly when did we ever get accurate media representations of our childhood heroes? hm

It could be argued that Marvel has done the best job of threading that needle by trying to incorporate the SA look and background into characters updated to the new millennium. But what about DC? So many of the interesting second tier characters (once you get past Supe and Batman) have never had an opportunity to shine in a major film as they originally appeared and evolved. From where I sit, it looks like a lot of fine traditional DC heroes have been denied their shot and skipped over in an attempt to look hipper to a younger demographic more familiar with more dystopian heroes and storylines.

Please! Marvel has taken huge liberties with their characters on the big screen. The GOTG I grew up with didn't look anything like the character's portrayed in that movie. Yondu? Drax? Gamora (well, she was green)? Ant Man definitely didn't have that costume in the comic and I don't recall his daughter Cassie having heart problems in the movie that spurred him to take up burglary again. Hank Pym was a contemporary, not an old character. Janet Van Dyne was married to Hank, not dating Scott Lang. Where was Donald Blake in the Thor movie? Pepper Potts wasn't Tony's love interest until recent years in the comics. In fact, she was married to Happy for a long, long time. And I don't recall Shield having anything to do with the Avengers forming as a team, let alone being their overseer. I could go on an on here.

As for the DC characters, you are talking about characters that haven't even been translated to the big screen yet outside of 10 and 20 sec glimpses in this movie. Let them have a chance to put out the movie with the characters before complaining at least. You have no idea what they have planned for these character backgrounds from these short clips. And if they stray from their comic counterparts, keep in mind, so has Marvel.

Please! Marvel has taken huge liberties with their characters on the big screen. The GOTG I grew up with didn't look anything like the character's portrayed in that movie. Yondu? Drax? Gamora (well, she was green)? Ant Man definitely didn't have that costume in the comic and I don't recall his daughter Cassie having heart problems in the movie that spurred him to take up burglary again. Hank Pym was a contemporary, not an old character. Janet Van Dyne was married to Hank, not dating Scott Lang. Where was Donald Blake in the Thor movie? Pepper Potts wasn't Tony's love interest until recent years in the comics. In fact, she was married to Happy for a long, long time. And I don't recall Shield having anything to do with the Avengers forming as a team, let alone being their overseer. I could go on an on here.

As for the DC characters, you are talking about characters that haven't even been translated to the big screen yet outside of 10 and 20 sec glimpses in this movie. Let them have a chance to put out the movie with the characters before complaining at least. You have no idea what they have planned for these character backgrounds from these short clips. And if they stray from their comic counterparts, keep in mind, so has Marvel.

+1

It makes sense.

This year we got Suicide Squad coming, and next year Wonder Woman, than Solo Batman .

This all should be fun.

To even think they are making all these movies and TV shows is extraordinary.

Imagine if I told someone 20 years ago that Marvel and DC would be this popular with Hollywood and mainstream? Over 25 movies to be made when it`s all done.

Let`s enjoy this folks.

+1

It makes sense.

This year we got Suicide Squad coming, and next year Wonder Woman, than Solo Batman .

This all should be fun.

To even think they are making all these movies and TV shows is extraordinary.

Imagine if I told someone 20 years ago that Marvel and DC would be this popular with Hollywood and mainstream? Over 25 movies to be made when it`s all done.

Let`s enjoy this folks.

Exactly!

Between Flash, Supergirl, Lucifer, Gotham, iZombie and Arrow, it's been nuts all the content to watch. Add to this shows like The Walking Dead, Agent Carter, Daredevil and Jessica Jones. And all these movies too.

:whee:

Liberties, maybe, but deconstruction or complete reboot, no way. Thor is perfectly cast, as Iron Man, and Captain America. Ant Man's costume is pretty kewl and similar enough to the original as the helmet with mandible-like communication system was there. True, some of the Marvel Studio scripts don't reflect the character's comic book origins and costuming could be closer to depictions in the original comics, but that misses the point. The characters as reenvisioned for film are blended well enough to satisfy both older SA/BA fans and millennials.

Granted, we don't know what DC is going to do and I wouldn't want anyone to get their panties in a bunch by instigating a discussion critical of something we haven't seen. :ohnoez:

One thing is pretty clear though, ...Suicide Squad isn't going to have any resemblance to the classic original Task Force X series that appeared in the SA Brave & The Bold try out comics. As for Flash, I just wish they'd use the Earth 2 Jay Garrick character from the TV series. He's charismatic enough to pull off the big screen role and is a surprisingly good match with the GA character. Of course, the SA Barry Allen who always shows up late for dates with his fiancé would be kinda kewl, but something tells me WB won't go that direction (it's not dystopian enough).

Anyone want to take a stab at the prospects for my favorite 60's era DC character (the SA Adam Strange as envisioned by Carmine Infantino)? ...I suspect this intergalactic adventurer's chances for revival in the current DC universe are slim and none. hm

i keep coming to this thread thinking people will finally say

"you know what it's not as bad as I thought it was"

That's optimistic and as a glass half-full kinda guy I'd like to be more like that myself, then I read Chris Rock's comments at the Tribeca Film Festival and almost spew ale on my monitor laughing...

http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/chris-rock-and-jj-abrams-on-bvs.html?mid=facebook_vulture

That's optimistic and as a glass half-full kinda guy I'd like to be more like that myself, then I read Chris Rock's comments at the Tribeca Film Festival and almost spew ale on my monitor laughing...

http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/chris-rock-and-jj-abrams-on-bvs.html?mid=facebook_vulture

Another negative link about BvS? Surprising!

- So which scene troubled you the most in Batman v Superman?

- I'm still wanting to hear what you thought of the response from that person Bruce sent the metahuman videos to, and what that person's reaction may lead to.

- When Batman visits that person near the end in prison, what did you think about his handling of that person, and what was said when Batman walks away?

I'm sure we will find some scenes you liked in this movie.

Anyone want to take a stab at the prospects for my favorite 60's era DC character (the SA Adam Strange as envisioned by Carmine Infantino)? ...I suspect this intergalactic adventurer's chances for revival in the current DC universe are slim and none. hm

Now that would be something I'd get excited for!

except that it is. i will say there were some cool things in the film, but overall it was extremely crappy. the whole "Martha" thing was god awful.

15 'Batman V Superman' Easter Eggs You (Probably) Didn't Notice The First Time Around

2. Batwing?

Could the young black fighter Bruce Wayne helps in the fight club when he's trying to track Knyazev actually be Luke 'Batwing' Fox? We know he has a background in MMA, and considering the fact that Batman has a pretty long history prior to the film, it's certainly a possibility.

blink-you-ll-miss-them-here-are-15-batman-v-superman-easter-eggs-you-probably-didn-939768.jpg

9. 6-1982

Silas Stone refers to the Mother Box recovered by S.T.A.R. Labs as government object #6-1982. Cyborg's first ever solo comic, Tales of the New Teen Titans #1 (which detailed his origins), was released in June 1982.

blink-you-ll-miss-them-here-are-15-batman-v-superman-easter-eggs-you-probably-didn-939776.jpg

14. Belle Reve

blink-you-ll-miss-them-here-are-15-batman-v-superman-easter-eggs-you-probably-didn-939783.jpg

Lex Luthor was thrown into none other than Belle Reve prison at the end of the movie, the very same prison that the Suicide Squad are recruited from in the upcoming movie.

Interesting.

except that it is. i will say there were some cool things in the film, but overall it was extremely crappy. the whole "Martha" thing was god awful.

I came back to the thread... I wondered how bad I really thought it was in comparison to other Superhero movies, so I ranked them... all (or at least all that I could think of)

Here's my list as it stands (before adding Superman vs Batman)

1 Spiderman 2

2 The Dark Knight

3 Captain America: The Winter Soldier

4 Captain America: The First Avenger

5 Superman: The Movie

6 Avengers

7 Guardians of the Galaxy

8 Hellboy

9 Ironman

10 X-Men: First Class

11 X-Men

12 Batman Begins

13 Batman

14 The Crow

15 Unbreakable

16 Spider-Man

17 Blade 2

18 X2: X-Men United

19 Blade

20 Ironman 3

21 Batman Returns

22 Super

23 Superman II

24 Kick-

25 Deadpool

26 Hellboy II: The Golden Army

27 Chronicle

28 The Dark Knight Rises

29 Ant-Man

30 Thor

31 Amazing Spider-Man

32 Avengers: Age of Ultron

33 X-Men Days of Future Past

34 The Rocketeer

35 Hancock

36 Kick- 2

37 Watchmen

38 Mystery Men

39 Iron Man 2

40 The Mask

41 Thor: The Dark World

42 Man of Steel

43 Punisher War Zone

44 Punisher: The Movie

45 Incredible Hulk

46 Green Hornet

47 Amazing Spider-Man 2

48 Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengence

49 Spawn

50 Daredevil

51 Constantine

52 Hulk

53 The Wolverine

54 Fantastic Four

55 Superman Returns

56 Batman Forever

57 Blade Trinity

58 Ghost Rider

59 Green Lantern

60 X-Men Origins: Wolverine

61 Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

62 Superman III

63 Elektra

64 Jonah Hex

65 Spider-Man 3

66 X-Men: The Last Stand

67 The Spirit

68 Catwoman

69 Howard the Duck

70 Fantastic Four

71 Batman & Robin... cause Batnipples

So where would I put Superman vs Batman, which I had lots of problems with?

Probably somewhere in the 30s.

Yeah that feels about right.

RIght there among the other "mess" movies like Ultron and Watchmen and Future Past all of which tried to do to much and got muddled doing it.

The 30s are also the end of the "rewatchable" movies, after that I have no interest in revisiting any of those movies outside of some snipets that are good (like the Shuttle rescue in Superman Returns)

I've also got Deadpool ranked lowish at 25) cause I know I have a recency bias, and would rank it higher ,but that might be cause I just saw it.

So where does it fall on your list?

Wanted?

The Shadow?

Red I/II?

Men In Black I/II/III?

Timecop (Dark Horse)?

Road To Perdition?

A History of Violence?

So many comic book productions over the years.

I came back to the thread... I wondered how bad I really thought it was in comparison to other Superhero movies, so I ranked them... all (or at least all that I could think of)

Wanted?

The Shadow?

Red I/II?

Men In Black I/II/III?

Timecop (Dark Horse)?

Road To Perdition?

A History of Violence?

:gossip: Superhero movies. Not comic book movies.

Wanted?

The Shadow?

Red I/II?

Men In Black I/II/III?

Timecop (Dark Horse)?

Road To Perdition?

A History of Violence?

what he said.

Unbreakable was the one "Superhero" stretch... but I count it

Wanted?

The Shadow?

Red I/II?

Men In Black I/II/III?

Timecop (Dark Horse)?

Road To Perdition?

A History of Violence?

what he said.

Unbreakable was the one "Superhero" stretch... but I count it

Good point!

Though Wanted was a comic book where the super-villains killed off all the superheroes, and The Shadow (along with Zorro) laid the groundwork for the superhero genre.