• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

That's optimistic and as a glass half-full kinda guy I'd like to be more like that myself, then I read Chris Rock's comments at the Tribeca Film Festival and almost spew ale on my monitor laughing...

http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/chris-rock-and-jj-abrams-on-bvs.html?mid=facebook_vulture

Another negative link about BvS? Surprising!

- So which scene troubled you the most in Batman v Superman?

- I'm still wanting to hear what you thought of the response from that person Bruce sent the metahuman videos to, and what that person's reaction may lead to.

- When Batman visits that person near the end in prison, what did you think about his handling of that person, and what was said when Batman walks away?

I'm sure we will find some scenes you liked in this movie.

I'm not sure that even when DavidMerryweather sees it, he'll 'like' it.

He may see things within it that he thinks are cool (Motherbox!), or admirable about the story (the Final battle), but what he has expressed is that the overall aesthetic of Zack's movie's, as well as his take on Superman, is just not his cup of tea.

Nothing wrong with that.

In fact, I welcome the opposing viewpoints in order to make my own. Badgering him for his viewpoint really isn't proper etiquette for the forum. If you want to counter debate a point, just do it, or wait for someone else to. He's entitled to his opinion just as much as you are to yours. Even if he hasn't seen it.

Sometimes you JUST KNOW, even before you see a movie, that it just ISN'T for you. Personally, I knew ahead of time I wouldn't enjoy ASM2, because I despised ASM, and it's grotesque version of what they thought Spider-man was all about. And I was right. I hated it.

Did I enjoy a scene or two? Ehhh.... no, not really... I mean he looked great swinging through the city, but... it wasn't enough to CHANGE my view of the movie.

I knew ahead of time I wouldn't care for the latest Fantastic Four, it certainly didn't change upon viewing it.

People are going to have their opinion's and they are going to express them. They may not mesh with how WE see it, but they're entitled to it and entitled to repeating it as often as they want for as long as the conversation goes on.

You are a SUPER fan of superhero movies and generally tend to support them despite their faults, which is great, fandom could use some blind support, but it's going to contrast with people who don't see it that way. Let's all try and be civil and welcome differing viewpoints.

You are a SUPER fan of superhero movies and generally tend to support them despite their faults, which is great, fandom could use some blind support, but it's going to contrast with people who don't see it that way. Let's all try and be civil and welcome differing viewpoints.

Being civil is always fine, and promotes healthy dialogue. But dropping repeated negative posts in a thread just to disrupt it because you dislike (1) the director or (2) a previous production - yet have no experience directly with the movie - is not providing that same civil respect.

As far as blind support, that's not the situation at all. I've actually noted more than once Batman v Superman is not a flawless film.

Meanwhile, coming back to the same thread posting how you dislike a film you have not even seen just to drive home a negative view on a production is going to lose its 'counterpoint value' after a few times of stating the same message. It would be like protesting you don't like drinking Budweiser beer over home-brewed beer. If you already have stated Budweiser doesn't work for you, coming back repeatedly to post 'Yeah - Budweiser is still garbage' just comes across as conveying a negative versus providing a view that brings additional value.

Do you go back to a bar you didn't care for just to yell out 'YUP - STILL HATE THIS PLACE'?

That's optimistic and as a glass half-full kinda guy I'd like to be more like that myself, then I read Chris Rock's comments at the Tribeca Film Festival and almost spew ale on my monitor laughing...

http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/chris-rock-and-jj-abrams-on-bvs.html?mid=facebook_vulture

- I'm still wanting to hear what you thought of the response from that person Bruce sent the metahuman videos to, and what that person's reaction may lead to.

- When Batman visits that person near the end in prison, what did you think about his handling of that person, and what was said when Batman walks away?

He may see things within it that he thinks are cool (Motherbox!), or admirable about the story (the Final battle), but what he has expressed is that the overall aesthetic of Zack's movie's, as well as his take on Superman, is just not his cup of tea.

Nothing wrong with that.

In fact, I welcome the opposing viewpoints in order to make my own. Badgering him for his viewpoint really isn't proper etiquette for the forum. If you want to counter debate a point, just do it, or wait for someone else to. He's entitled to his opinion just as much as you are to yours. Even if he hasn't seen it.

Sometimes you JUST KNOW, even before you see a movie, that it just ISN'T for you. Personally, I knew ahead of time I wouldn't enjoy ASM2, because I despised ASM, and it's grotesque version of what they thought Spider-man was all about. And I was right. I hated it.

Did I enjoy a scene or two? Ehhh.... no, not really... I mean he looked great swinging through the city, but... it wasn't enough to CHANGE my view of the movie.

I knew ahead of time I wouldn't care for the latest Fantastic Four, it certainly didn't change upon viewing it.

People are going to have their opinion's and they are going to express them. They may not mesh with how WE see it, but they're entitled to it and entitled to repeating it as often as they want for as long as the conversation goes on.

I look forward to him reviewing music that he hasn't heard.

Being civil is always fine, and promotes healthy dialogue. But dropping repeated negative posts in a thread just to disrupt it because you dislike (1) the director or (2) a previous production - yet have no experience directly with the movie - is not providing that same civil respect.

As far as blind support, that's not the situation at all. I've actually noted more than once Batman v Superman is not a flawless film.

Meanwhile, coming back to the same thread posting how you dislike a film you have not even seen just to drive home a negative view on a production is going to lose its 'counterpoint value' after a few times of stating the same message. It would be like protesting you don't like drinking Budweiser beer over home-brewed beer. If if you already have stated Budweiser doesn't work for you, coming back repeatedly to post 'Yeah - Budweiser is still garbage' just comes across as conveying a negative versus providing a view that brings additional value.

Do you go back to a bar you didn't care for just to yell out 'YUP - STILL HATE THIS PLACE'?

Budweiser is terrible.

i keep coming to this thread thinking people will finally say

"you know what it's not as bad as I thought it was"

Superman fighting Batman makes no sense at all - in any medium.

But you could say that about most characters that Superman physically fights.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3003399/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-just-missed-another-embarrassing-target/

BvS fallen behind Deadpools track on Domestic revenue by week, will not catch it. Suicide Squad having scenes reshot to help it not get hammered by critics lke BvS did.

This is a really good example - so I am glad you posted it - of a heavily influenced 'article' and someone that is missing the point.

According to the box office tracking site Box Office Mojo, Batman v Superman has only grossed $304 million domestically as of Friday (April 15).

'only grossed $304 million domestically'? Only 59 movies in history have ever grossed $300 MM or better (not adjusting for inflation).

Dg9t707.png

When you do look at recent adjusted domestic, you see the ones that exceeded $300 MM are no surprise. They were huge hits for being unique or part of a well-executed franchise. Even little Deadpool, which everyone realizes was so expertly developed and marketed it surprised many.

nEIisaE.png

It isn't a common experience movies are break $300 MM domestic.

If you are going to run that line of comparison, you have to include budgets as well. It's not common for a movie to have a $250 MM budget. (or over $400 million including advertising).

I dont think the article is missing the point, and Worldwide numbers are important for a movie's total take, but are also extremely variable. The worldwide box office is continuously increasing in size (theatre numbers) and income.

The "domestic" (aka US/NA) box office is far more stable, and essentially only being affected by inflation. Inflation does not even come close to covering the rise in Worldwide figures, due to increasing number of theatres.

The Dark Knight movies would likely make 10-20% more than they did, if they were released now, just due to the increased size of the world wide market.

Comparing Deadpool, on the Domestic side only, is not "missing the point". The article acknowledges the world wide numbers as well, but what it is doing is attempting to look at a single variable, and talk about what it means.

An R-RATED, standalone, Deadpool solo film, NOT EVEN part of the MCU, beating Batman vs Superman at the Domestic box office is a shocking turn of events, and would have been completely unimaginable even a year ago. It only happened because of the lack of quality in BvS, and if a better job had been done with it, BvS would be competing for top film gross of the year.

An increased worldwide box office, with a strong desire for blockbuster films, cant paper over these realities. BvS is not a failure, but it is not a success either. It's managed to get the DCU through the Round, and the Big Budget/Ad Campaign helped it hang on to the bell, but there's another 11 rounds to go and the DCU is looking wobbly.

Suicide Squad getting re-shoots (as the article references) is an acknowledgement of the wobbly legs, which is good, as only by a realistic critique of the issues/problems can they be properly fixed, and ensure that the DCU doesnt suffer a full on KO in a future round.

**Edit

If only 59 movies ever made $300MM domestic, only about 10 ever made had a $250 MM budget, and even smaller when you add the advertsing, BvS pushing top 5 all time for cost to make and advertise.

*****Second Edit:

Could actually be THE most expensive movie ever made:

http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-budget-justice-league/

Edited by CBT

Here's one thing nobody can dispute dispite their reactions to BvS....people are still talking about it.

PT Barnum had it right: "I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right."

I personally felt let down by the movie in a huge way. I am equivocal about the DCCU going forward and I'm about the biggest DC fan there is.

I do hope that the criticism finds the right ears and whoever is in charge takes the right steps to correct the issues. It's quite possible that cutting the film down from 4 hours may have enabled alot to be lost in translation, but I'm done getting pumped about future installments until I see the brass tax or at least the R-rated director's cut.

Here's one thing nobody can dispute dispite their reactions to BvS....people are still talking about it.

PT Barnum had it right: "I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right."

I personally felt let down by the movie in a huge way. I am equivocal about the DCCU going forward and I'm about the biggest DC fan there is.

I do hope that the criticism finds the right ears and whoever is in charge takes the right steps to correct the issues. It's quite possible that cutting the film down from 4 hours may have enabled alot to be lost in translation, but I'm done getting pumped about future installments until I see the brass tax or at least the R-rated director's cut.

The thing is, even if the 4hr cut is awesome, that doesn't actually provide me with any more confidence that the 2.5 hour Justice League movie would be any good. He couldn't fit Superman and Batman (with a side of WW and LL) in 2.5 hours, what faith does anyone have that he could fit in Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Flash, Aquaman, and Darkseid in 2.5 hours?

If everyone loved the 4hr cut, it would probably make Zack Snyder think "SEE? I WAS RIGHT!!!" And reinforce his own impressions of his ability to make a beautiful 4 hour film, which is ACTUALLY NOT what most studios, moviegoers, and critics are looking for. You might say, well there's JL part 1 and Part 2. Well, are you absolutely sure that he doesn't view those as one 8-9hr movie before editing?

This is exactly where I am. I don't rag on the movie because I hate DC. I rag on it because I want the studio to make the changes necessary to make their movies great. I'd love to see an expanded DCCU that is full of GOOD movies.

This is exactly where I am. I don't rag on the movie because I hate DC. I rag on it because I want the studio to make the changes necessary to make their movies great. I'd love to see an expanded DCCU that is full of GOOD movies.

The movie was not good. It was great.

I disagree. In a conversation, when one side continues to explain WHY they like something, it's no different than someone explaining why they DISLIKE it. If one side keeps explaining their like, the other side is naturally going to counter with why they don't. Why does one hold more weight than the other?

Blind support isn't a negative statement.

Meanwhile, coming back to the same thread posting how you dislike a film you have not even seen just to drive home a negative view on a production is going to lose its 'counterpoint value' after a few times of stating the same message. It would be like protesting you don't like drinking Budweiser beer over home-brewed beer. If you already have stated Budweiser doesn't work for you, coming back repeatedly to post 'Yeah - Budweiser is still garbage' just comes across as conveying a negative versus providing a view that brings additional value.

No. But it isn't the same thing. A forum is an extended conversation, not a bar. And as long as one side continues to express one viewpoint, the other may express their counter viewpoint. It's just they way conversation naturally works.

Nothing wrong with that.

I look forward to him reviewing music that he hasn't heard.

lol

But... would it really be a stretch for someone to say: "Based upon information that Justin Bieber and Britney Spears went into the studio and recorded a collection of Milli Vanilli songs, using an abundance of auto-tune, drum machines and Skrillix remixing, I can honestly say... I probably won't like it.

No. But it isn't the same thing. A forum is an extended conversation, not a bar. And as long as one side continues to express one viewpoint, the other may express their counter viewpoint. It's just they way conversation naturally works.

There have been many conflicting posts concerning 'Batman v Superman: good or bad'. And that is all part of a community tool like this forum. Nothing wrong with that. Even the movie balance sheet discussions where the assumed $1 Billion goal is discussed, and how real or fictitious this may be.

But if someone is going to repeatedly point out they never saw the movie - hate Zack Snyder's representation of DC Comics movies - then want to post a consistent negative point just because - that runs the risk of wearing thin. Especially when it is obvious the person isn't really looking to have an open discussion about the topic. They just want to tell you how this movie is bad.

There is no path to a healthy dialogue on a topic if that is someone's intent.

*****Second Edit:

According to Latino Review, when all is said and done the budget for Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice comes in at roughly $410 million.

Latino Review seems to be the source stating the production budget was $410 MM. Yet one of the sites responsible to validate numbers - and has refused to publish a figure if they cannot validate it - is Box Office Mojo.

So if it is posting $250 MM, they received this from someone in the studio that was credible.

GDs9F5X.png

To this date, they still have not posted a production budget for ASM 2 because Sony never clarified it for the site through credible sources.

NlfI78u.png

All the other discussion about credits versus debits leads to a final real number is true - when you factor all credits and debits into the discussion (e.g. merchandising, product placement dollars, revenue share agreement).

Example:

Robert Downey Jr. to Earn $50 Million from ‘The Avengers’

So that is $50 MM that comes right off the top of The Avengers. Anyone banging on the table that movie reporting factor that out of the results so we make things accurate and consistent?

*****Second Edit:

According to Latino Review, when all is said and done the budget for Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice comes in at roughly $410 million.

Latino Review seems to be the source stating the production budget was $410 MM. Yet one of the sites responsible to validate numbers - and has refused to publish a figure if they cannot validate it - is Box Office Mojo.

So if it is posting $250 MM, they received this from someone in the studio that was credible.

GDs9F5X.png

To this date, they still have not posted a production budget for ASM 2 because Sony never clarified it for the site through credible sources.

NlfI78u.png

All the other discussion about credits versus debits leads to a final real number is true - when you factor all credits and debits into the discussion (e.g. merchandising, product placement dollars, revenue share agreement).

Example:

Robert Downey Jr. to Earn $50 Million from The Avengers

So that is $50 MM that comes right off the top of The Avengers. Anyone banging on the table that movie reporting factor that out of the results so we make things accurate and consistent?

I feel like a lot of the numbers thrown around in reports should be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of reporters aren't even sure what they're reporting, in terms of estimates, or types of payments, or what it means to 'make money'. And they're typically not looking at actual final audited financial statements, but typically providing the info based on 'estimates' which furthers the whatever opinion or headline they're pushing. Not that they're lying, but they can be selective in terms of what is reported and how. So especially for discreet stories written by reporters (or bloggers), I would be especially wary. But for the larger comparisons, at least you can be reasonably sure they're doing the comparisons hopefully collecting the same information the same way.