• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

No. But it isn't the same thing. A forum is an extended conversation, not a bar. And as long as one side continues to express one viewpoint, the other may express their counter viewpoint. It's just they way conversation naturally works.

There have been many conflicting posts concerning 'Batman v Superman: good or bad'. And that is all part of a community tool like this forum. Nothing wrong with that. Even the movie balance sheet discussions where the assumed $1 Billion goal is discussed, and how real or fictitious this may be.

But if someone is going to repeatedly point out they never saw the movie - hate Zack Snyder's representation of DC Comics movies - then want to post a consistent negative point just because - that runs the risk of wearing thin. Especially when it is obvious the person isn't really looking to have an open discussion about the topic. They just want to tell you how this movie is bad.

There is no path to a healthy dialogue on a topic if that is someone's intent.

You must think I'm just a naggering nabob of negativism. lol

What issue do you have with someone sharing a humorous comment or perspective from a third party? It wasn't even technically a review. Do you dislike Chris Rock? Personally, I think he's hilarious.

BTW, I've never concealed the fact that I haven't watched this film yet. If I'd been less than honest would I have clearly stated this and my principled reasons for it?

Food for thought.

No. But it isn't the same thing. A forum is an extended conversation, not a bar. And as long as one side continues to express one viewpoint, the other may express their counter viewpoint. It's just they way conversation naturally works.

There have been many conflicting posts concerning 'Batman v Superman: good or bad'. And that is all part of a community tool like this forum. Nothing wrong with that. Even the movie balance sheet discussions where the assumed $1 Billion goal is discussed, and how real or fictitious this may be.

But if someone is going to repeatedly point out they never saw the movie - hate Zack Snyder's representation of DC Comics movies - then want to post a consistent negative point just because - that runs the risk of wearing thin. Especially when it is obvious the person isn't really looking to have an open discussion about the topic. They just want to tell you how this movie is bad.

There is no path to a healthy dialogue on a topic if that is someone's intent.

Um...you remember the Fantastic Four thread?

TONS of people were ragging on that movie long before it was released and _many_ continued to rag on it repeatedly post-release despite admitting to not having seen it.

I see nothing wrong with that.

While I prefer actually watching things that I critique, it's fine for someone to detail why past experiences (ie., prior Zach Snyder superhero movies) led them not to want to see a new one.

I saw ASM, and based on that experience, opted to skip ASM 2. And that's a perfectly valid course of action.

I guess the difference it, I didn't feel ASM 2 was worth my time to repeatedly dog on this here message boards, as I felt it's turd-ness was self-evident.

Had I been a more active member back in the day, however, I could have written reams on the symphony of bad that was the Jonah Hex film, which unfortunately I did see. It was operatic in its iness, to the extent that it approached high art.

That's optimistic and as a glass half-full kinda guy I'd like to be more like that myself, then I read Chris Rock's comments at the Tribeca Film Festival and almost spew ale on my monitor laughing...

http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/chris-rock-and-jj-abrams-on-bvs.html?mid=facebook_vulture

Another negative link about BvS? Surprising!

- So which scene troubled you the most in Batman v Superman?

- I'm still wanting to hear what you thought of the response from that person Bruce sent the metahuman videos to, and what that person's reaction may lead to.

- When Batman visits that person near the end in prison, what did you think about his handling of that person, and what was said when Batman walks away?

I'm sure we will find some scenes you liked in this movie.

I'm not sure that even when DavidMerryweather sees it, he'll 'like' it.

He may see things within it that he thinks are cool (Motherbox!), or admirable about the story (the Final battle), but what he has expressed is that the overall aesthetic of Zack's movie's, as well as his take on Superman, is just not his cup of tea.

Nothing wrong with that.

In fact, I welcome the opposing viewpoints in order to make my own. Badgering him for his viewpoint really isn't proper etiquette for the forum. If you want to counter debate a point, just do it, or wait for someone else to. He's entitled to his opinion just as much as you are to yours. Even if he hasn't seen it.

Sometimes you JUST KNOW, even before you see a movie, that it just ISN'T for you. Personally, I knew ahead of time I wouldn't enjoy ASM2, because I despised ASM, and it's grotesque version of what they thought Spider-man was all about. And I was right. I hated it.

Did I enjoy a scene or two? Ehhh.... no, not really... I mean he looked great swinging through the city, but... it wasn't enough to CHANGE my view of the movie.

I knew ahead of time I wouldn't care for the latest Fantastic Four, it certainly didn't change upon viewing it.

People are going to have their opinion's and they are going to express them. They may not mesh with how WE see it, but they're entitled to it and entitled to repeating it as often as they want for as long as the conversation goes on.

You are a SUPER fan of superhero movies and generally tend to support them despite their faults, which is great, fandom could use some blind support, but it's going to contrast with people who don't see it that way. Let's all try and be civil and welcome differing viewpoints.

I look forward to him reviewing music that he hasn't heard.

lol

But... would it really be a stretch for someone to say: "Based upon information that Justin Bieber and Britney Spears went into the studio and recorded a collection of Milli Vanilli songs, using an abundance of auto-tune, drum machines and Skrillix remixing, I can honestly say... I probably won't like it.

If they posted that once online I might be mildly interested - even though it's just opinion based on musical taste - but to keep posting it ad infinitum I would have to wonder what those specific combination of elements had done to traumatise that person so much.

Um...you remember the Fantastic Four thread?

TONS of people were ragging on that movie long before it was released and _many_ continued to rag on it repeatedly post-release despite admitting to not having seen it.

I see nothing wrong with that.

While I prefer actually watching things that I critique, it's fine for someone to detail why past experiences (ie., prior Zach Snyder superhero movies) led them not to want to see a new one.

I saw ASM, and based on that experience, opted to skip ASM 2. And that's a perfectly valid course of action.

I guess the difference it, I didn't feel ASM 2 was worth my time to repeatedly dog on this here message boards, as I felt it's turd-ness was self-evident.

Had I been a more active member back in the day, however, I could have written reams on the symphony of bad that was the Jonah Hex film, which unfortunately I did see. It was operatic in its iness, to the extent that it approached high art.

Um...has anyone ever pointed out you have an 'Umm...' abundance?

:baiting:

As I remember it, you had the same concerns in the Fantastic Four thread...umm, remember?

But since we are talking about being civil...an example I'll share is the TV show S.H.I.E.L.D. Don't care for it. Gave it a few tries, and ended up bored. Should I pop in that thread repeatedly and post 'HATE THIS SHOW - THE WRITERS ARE insufficiently_thoughtful_persons - BUT I DON'T WATCH THIS SHOW'? Sure, if I wanted to disrupt the thread and discussions going on about the show, positive and negative. Unless I wanted to engage in the conversation in sharing how I would like to see the show proceed forward.

What issue do you have with someone sharing a humorous comment or perspective from a third party? It wasn't even technically a review. Do you dislike Chris Rock? Personally, I think he's hilarious.

BTW, I've never concealed the fact that I haven't watched this film yet. If I'd been less than honest would I have clearly stated this and my principled reasons fir it?

Food for thought.

Fair enough. Though you have also posted the same Latino Review financials to proclaim the film had bombed, and how DC was in trouble.

Hate on!

The "domestic" (aka US/NA) box office is far more stable, and essentially only being affected by inflation. Inflation does not even come close to covering the rise in Worldwide figures, due to increasing number of theatres.

Sorry - forgot to respond to this.

MPAA 2013 Theatrical Market Analysis (to judge growth with 2014)

MPAA 2014 Theatrical Market Analysis (published March 2015)

Qy7dMp2.png

As of the 2014 summary report, the North American market value had dropped slightly while the International market had actually experienced continued growth.

The Domestic Box Office has experienced growth versus decay a few times in the past few years. Meanwhile, the International Box Office is where the massive growth has been taking place. So it is not just about inflation. It's distribution centers as well, and butts in seats.

BTW, I've never concealed the fact that I haven't watched this film yet. If I'd been less than honest would I have clearly stated this and my principled reasons fir it?

Food for thought.

Fair enough. Though you have also posted the same Latino Review financials to proclaim the film had bombed, and how DC was in trouble.

Hate on!

Ah, come on, Bosco. That was just the first thing I Googled when a source was requested.

Hate is bit stronger reaction than I'm expressing here. I have no agenda, seriously.

BTW, I avoided the latest FF movie too. The "Warning! Will Robinson" smell was all over that one! lol

*****Second Edit:

Could actually be THE most expensive movie ever made:

http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-budget-justice-league/

According to Latino Review, when all is said and done the budget for Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice comes in at roughly $410 million.

Latino Review seems to be the source stating the production budget was $410 MM. Yet one of the sites responsible to validate numbers - and has refused to publish a figure if they cannot validate it - is Box Office Mojo.

So if it is posting $250 MM, they received this from someone in the studio that was credible.

Point of Order so we're comparing Apples to Apples. Latino Review & Hollywood Reporter are both saying $410 million for production _and_ marketing.

As in (per Hollywood Reporter): $325 million for production costs that were reduced to $250 million after tax credits (this is the Box Office Mojo, and generally accepted, number). Then when you add in marketing (even after the co-branding with Turkish Airlines, etc.) equals $410-$420 million.

Point of Order so we're comparing Apples to Apples. Latino Review & Hollywood Reporter are both saying $410 million for production _and_ marketing.

As in (per Hollywood Reporter): $325 million for production costs that were reduced to $250 million after tax credits (this is the Box Office Mojo, and generally accepted, number). Then when you add in marketing (even after the co-branding with Turkish Airlines, etc.) equals $410-$420 million.

Umm...unfortunately, no.

Hot Rumor: 'Batman v Superman' Budget Dwarfs Upcoming 'Justice League' Budget

Right now, "Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice"s budget has ballooned to $410 million dollars. That means it is in the running for being the most expensive movie ever shot. The current record holder is "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," according to financial statements obtained by Forbes.

So then you following the Forbes report Latino Review is comparing BvS to PofC 4.

Fourth Pirates Of The Caribbean Is Most Expensive Movie Ever With Costs Of $410 Million

The fourth instalment of the popular Pirates of the Caribbean franchise has been revealed to be the most expensive movie in history with production costs of $410.6 million according to new research by Forbes.

Details. The point of focus is production budget alone.

The "domestic" (aka US/NA) box office is far more stable, and essentially only being affected by inflation. Inflation does not even come close to covering the rise in Worldwide figures, due to increasing number of theatres.

Sorry - forgot to respond to this.

MPAA 2013 Theatrical Market Analysis (to judge growth with 2014)

MPAA 2014 Theatrical Market Analysis (published March 2015)

Qy7dMp2.png

As of the 2014 summary report, the North American market value had dropped slightly while the International market had actually experienced continued growth.

The Domestic Box Office has experienced growth versus decay a few times in the past few years. Meanwhile, the International Box Office is where the massive growth has been taking place. So it is not just about inflation. It's distribution centers as well, and butts in seats.

I hadn't really bothered to read CBT's 'analysis', but yeah, that would've struck me as a peculiar thing to say, based on, not only the very visable massive growth of the foreign movie markets over the last few years, but the film studio's rabid desire to get it's fingers into as much of it as possible, as well as even cater to it.

All I hear about in the U.S. is how flat the market is and there are too many theaters and not enough patrons. (shrug)

Ah, come on, Bosco. That was just the first thing I Googled when a sources were requested.

Hate is bit stronger reaction than I'm expressing here. I have no agenda, seriously.

BTW, I avoided the latest FF movie too. The "Warning! Will Robinson" smell was all over that one! lol

It's my fault. I missed all the 'no dog in this fight' and 'just the messenger' notes.

there have been accusations of misogyny levied at Zack Snyder's take on both Superman films by critics and filmgoers.

Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger. :fear:

So, what will you complain about? hm Let's see, maybe Zack Snyder was deep cover Marvel Studios operative planted to torpedo [font:Fixedsys]WB[/font]'s [font:Comic Sans MS]Superman[/font] franchise!

There we go, a classic conspiracy theory! :devil:

I only mention this to set the stage for the critical train wreck of BvS that followed.

But you're absolutely right, there were other aspects of the confusing -script that actually seemed in conflict with scripture. My take on MoS was that he was supposed to represent the second coming of christ in an apocryphal world. Again, not an image of Superman that I cared to see. The entire film was a downer, the -script a jumbled mess and the acting sub-par.

BvS 2.0 apparently doesn't stray too far from the tree.

Must I be a fireplug to Mr. Snyder's dogma? Never fret, I will watch BvS at some point when this mongrel can be downloaded cheaply without contributing to WB's bottom line. Hope that will make doubters happy. After all, we should be able to speak our minds without being kennelized.

BTW, I've only mentioned MoS in pass over because Superman's new testical portrayal is exactly what Zack wanted for BvS. :devil:

I have no god in this fight either. gw.gif

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/31379/20130614/superman-man-steel-jesus-christianity-bible.htm

Siegel & Shuster's Superman is a winner, ..it's Zack Snyder who's Kryptonite. :sick:

Truth is, I haven't gone out of my way to bash this movie, ...it stepped out in front of my steamroller like a crazed lunatic. ;)

Zack Snyder directed MoS and the BvS follow-up. He's responsible for the dystopian take on Superman, so if you liked the first one you'll probably like the second. :foryou:

I can't believe intelligent folks contribute to WB & Zack Snyder's profits after such overwhelming critical reviews, but some do, so what do I know? (shrug)

Oh, I'm a fan of Superman, just not a fan of Zack's and WB's deconstruction of Superman.

I could be confused, but do you dislike Zack Snyder DC films?

:foryou:

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice features an insane amount of diminutive details that you would most likely never notice during the course of a film, some of which can be found in the Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice Tech Manual.

When translated, the quote states:

"Life is killing all the time and so the goddess kills herself in the sacrifice of her own animal"

gallery-1460472097-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-tech-manual-179704.jpg

Robin's Weapon In Batman V Superman Revealed

In Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, Bruce makes a point to display the Robin costume, complete with Jokers haunting message. We also see a glimpse of the weapon Robin used in combat, and it isn't the familiar quarterstaff we're used to in the comics.

In the Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice Tech Manual (via Digital Spy), we can see it had multiple blades and was closer to an ax than merely a staff.

gallery-1460472011-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-tech-manual-179589.jpg

Ah, come on, Bosco. That was just the first thing I Googled when a sources were requested.

It's my fault. I missed all the 'no dog in this fight' and 'just the messenger' notes.

there have been accusations of misogyny levied at Zack Snyder's take on both Superman films by critics and filmgoers.

Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger. dog_munching-2225.gif

So, what will you complain about? hm Let's see, maybe Zack Snyder was deep cover Marvel Studios operative planted to torpedo [font:Fixedsys]WB[/font]'s [font:Comic Sans MS]Superman[/font] franchise!

There we go, a classic conspiracy theory! :devil:

I only mention this to set the stage for the critical train wreck of BvS that followed.

But you're absolutely right, there were other aspects of the confusing -script that actually seemed in conflict with scripture. My take on MoS was that he was supposed to represent the second coming of christ in an apocryphal world. Again, not an image of Superman that I cared to see. The entire film was a downer, the -script a jumbled mess and the acting sub-par.

BvS 2.0 apparently doesn't stray too far from the tree.

Must I be a fireplug to Mr. Snyder's dogma? Never fret, I will watch BvS at some point when this mongrel can be downloaded cheaply without contributing to WB's bottom line. Hope that will make doubters happy. After all, we should be able to speak our minds without being kennelized.

BTW, I've only mentioned MoS in pass over because Superman's new testical portrayal is exactly what Zack wanted for BvS. :devil:

I have no god in this fight either. gw.gif

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/31379/20130614/superman-man-steel-jesus-christianity-bible.htm

Siegel & Shuster's Superman is a winner, ..it's Zack Snyder who's Kryptonite. :sick:

Truth is, I haven't gone out of my way to bash this movie, ...it stepped out in front of my steamroller like a crazed lunatic. ;)

Zack Snyder directed MoS and the BvS follow-up. He's responsible for the dystopian take on Superman, so if you liked the first one you'll probably like the second. :foryou:

I can't believe intelligent folks contribute to WB & Zack Snyder's profits after such overwhelming critical reviews, but some do, so what do I know? (shrug)

Oh, I'm a fan of Superman, just not a fan of Zack's and WB's deconstruction of Superman.

I could be confused, but do you dislike Zack Snyder DC films?

:foryou:

:applause: You didn't miss much, except maybe the dog biting the messenger! lol

:blush: I'd only correct one thing (my typing apparently conspired against the letter "a")...

So, what will you complain about? hm Let's see, maybe Zack Snyder was a deep cover Marvel Studios operative planted to torpedo [font:Fixedsys]WB[/font]'s [font:Comic Sans MS]Superman[/font] franchise! ...

It's been a little quiet in this thread today... which got me thinking how much I've enjoyed this rollercoaster ride through BvS critique. Since the first review came online, we've seen love, hate, praise, constructive criticism, negative criticism, deep analysis, complete deconstruction, "I liked this bit", "I didn't like this bit", "this bit could've been better" and "what was with that Martha scene?".

This thread may now be heading towards its natural conclusion. The movie is in its fourth week and will soon disappear into the realms of Blu-Ray pre-orders. For anyone joining now, daunted by the prospect of having to read hundreds of pages of discussion, allow me to summarise...

Some people liked it. Some people didn't.

It looks like some of the international reporting caught up today.

CM2PmBA.png

As good as those numbers it still haven't done as well in the worldwide box office as Nolans Batman Trilogy. As well, these numbers don't paint a true picture of how they have done. It may have cost $250,000,000 to make, but how much did they spend on marketing and other fees? After all those other expenses is it currently in the red or black?