• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP KEITH CONTARINO - CONDOLENCES to his family+ friends

340 posts in this topic

The OP can now (unfortunately) seek restitution from the estate if need be. It's a matter between him and them.

The odds of him being successful with that seem pretty close to nil given how far away he lives and the likelihood that their agreement was verbal. :blush:

I believe Keith did confirm in writing on this forum (or elsewhere) that he did indeed have his money and was attempting to return it.

It'd pretty much come down to what his family wants to do. If they want to honor the debt, they will, if they don't, they can just say it wasn't Keith who posted that and I don't see that there's a way to prove he did.

A persons legal debts don't go away with their death. If he owed Dr Blake $26,000 while he was alive, his estate owes it now that he is deceased. Same as if you owed him money. Now you would owe it to his estate.

If you re-read his last post, it stated that he intended to make Dr Blake a beneficiary of his life insurance. Whether or not that ever happened remains to be seen.

I lost 15k on vintage collectibles recently. Sometimes you have to wash the hands and forget it. That's the risk we take in any hobby. (thumbs u

And this thread needs a new title...I vote for that.

Would anyone want this title on a thread after they passed away? (shrug)

I lost 15k on vintage collectibles recently. Sometimes you have to wash the hands and forget it. That's the risk we take in any hobby. (thumbs u

I wouldn't but what if it was true? Should it be changed just because I passed away? The crime still happened.

I wouldn't but what if it was true? Should it be changed just because I passed away? The crime still happened.

For those of us who knew Keith personally, the title does not come over well regardless of the status of the money owed. I say let's change the title or let the thread die just out of decency and respect for Keith. (thumbs u

huh? what in the world are you talking about? does the country you live in operate this way? someone dies and you just wash your hands clean?

if someone robs a bank and commits suicide do you think the bank isn't entitled to the money that was stolen? what kind of rationale is this?

all creditors owed should be paid from the proceeds of the sale of the estate (assuming there is one). the list will start with those owed the most outstanding debt the longest. that is fair under US constitutional law.

if the estate is broken, ie. everything is bank owned, debited up, mortaged they will sell of what little equity and cash there is and amortize a calculated percentage to all creditors. a creditor might not get ALL of there money back.

no legitimate life insurance policy pays out for suicide.

if i was in the OP situation w/ $26k being owed I would have sued long beforehand.

I have to agree.

The OP can now (unfortunately) seek restitution from the estate if need be. It's a matter between him and them. No need to alert the public about a potential theft any longer.

No unfortunately you are wrong. Just because you took a bath in $15k doesn't mean you had to or that the OP (who was victimized by the way) should drop charges because the debtor decided to take his own life.

$15k to you maybe different that $15k to someone else. When one decides to end their life that doesn't mean the case is closed.

He should be entitled to full or comparable (based on the size of the estate) compensation as if no death or suicide ever happened.

all creditors owed should be paid from the proceeds of the sale of the estate (assuming there is one). the list will start with those owed the most outstanding debt the longest. that is fair under US constitutional law.

You sound like you are disagreeing with someone. I'm pretty sure from what I've read (and written) that most people expect the OP to be made whole from the proceeds of the estate.

(shrug)

The only discussion was around the title of the thread, out of respect for the deceased...not the content.

This thread is starting to bother me probably because it's pushing all the right buttons.

I'm glad RMA started the tribute thread, because I'm stewing right now.

What this thread represents, it's intent, and what drove Keith to his death are deeply unsettling.

Most of all, because the writing was on the wall with his is reference to making the OP whole, yet neither the OP who friended him saw it for what it was, and probably for the same reason that we're seeing people blindly being bent on money owed.

This is a low point of this community for me.

This thread is starting to bother me probably because it's pushing all the right buttons.

I'm glad RMA started the tribute thread, because I'm stewing right now.

What this thread represents, it's intent, and what drove Keith to his death are deeply unsettling.

Most of all, because the writing was on the wall with his is reference to making the OP whole, yet neither the OP who friended him saw it for what it was, and probably for the same reason that we're seeing people blindly being bent on money owed.

This is a low point of this community for me.

What do you think this thread represents?

It's intent was for the OP to get his money back. If you are intimating something else...

I don't know anymore. The thoughts keeps changing with respect absent opinions.

Thankfully, I have never been present to hear a cold, vindictive eulogy, but I'd have to assume this thread could be the inspiration for one.

I think you are taking this too personally. I see some legitimate questions being raised. We can question the tastefulness of the timing and forum for debate but that doesn't alter the legitimacy of the questions.

I don't see anything vindictive in this thread since he passed.

Thankfully, I have never been present to hear a cold, vindictive eulogy, but I'd have to assume this thread could be the inspiration for one.

I think you are taking this too personally. I see some legitimate questions being raised. We can question the tastefulness of the timing and forum for debate but that doesn't alter the legitimacy of the questions.

Maybe not vindictive, but some people really lack a sense of tact.

The way you put what is happening here - "legitimate questions being raised" - is generous, to say the least. What's happening here is that people are once again taking the opportunity to moralize to the forum. This happens all the time, and 99% of those times it's harmless. In the context of people trying to process this unfortunate situation, including a couple who were friends of his, it's kind of nasty.

Huuuurrrrr taking money is always wrong duuuurrrrrrrr. Excellent and resourceful insight, worthy of interjecting at any time or cost.

Maybe not vindictive, but some people really lack a sense of tact.

The way you put what is happening here - "legitimate questions being raised" - is generous, to say the least. What's happening here is that people are once again taking the opportunity to moralize to the forum. This happens all the time, and 99% of those times it's harmless. In the context of people trying to process this unfortunate situation, including a couple who were friends of his, it's kind of nasty.

Huuuurrrrr taking money is always wrong duuuurrrrrrrr. Excellent and resourceful insight, worthy of interjecting at any time or cost.

Point taken.

I am trying to be generous in the hopes that some people may do a little self analyzing and realize that this isn't the best time to raise these questions.

Yes it should. And has been. I PM'd one of the mods last night and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's a matter of tact and courtesy. There will be a time and place for the OP to see about getting his money back if he chooses to do so. But it's no longer here- on these boards - and now.

The OP posted up here stating he wasn't able to get in contact with Keith and hoped to both get him (Keith) to contact him and to warn others by starting this thread. Well, mission accomplished. Now the man is dead. A bit of decency is in order.