• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP KEITH CONTARINO - CONDOLENCES to his family+ friends

340 posts in this topic

So he was arrested on 7/30/13 while he was out on bond from 6/20/13? That usually doesn't work too well in the defendants favor. He probably hasn't even gone to court for the 1st offense yet. That blows the OP lost 26K, but as much trouble as this guy is in it might be a while before he sees the light of day. I had a friend who was accused of murder, and after spending 2 1/2 years in jail, being stabbed three times while in there, and sitting through a two week trial, he was finally acquitted of all charges. By the time it was all said and done he had lost everything though.

Even the best of us fall on hard times. That never excuses past debts owed though. Good luck OP!

Uh... or outright theft?

Yes, this is outright theft. And Contarino's lack of communication with the OP pretty clearly indicates that he has decided to use the OP's money to help defray his own debts.

So he was arrested on 7/30/13 while he was out on bond from 6/20/13? That usually doesn't work too well in the defendants favor. He probably hasn't even gone to court for the 1st offense yet. That blows the OP lost 26K, but as much trouble as this guy is in it might be a while before he sees the light of day. I had a friend who was accused of murder, and after spending 2 1/2 years in jail, being stabbed three times while in there, and sitting through a two week trial, he was finally acquitted of all charges. By the time it was all said and done he had lost everything though.

For a lot of people here, it appears being charged is the same as being guilty. Cut government class a few too many times I guess.

I hope the OP gets his money back and I hope Keith gets his life back. But the entire arrangement Keith and the OP had is one that IMHO believe a prudent person would never have entered into - neither as a buyer or seller.

I have been a part time dealer with a full time regular job for over 30 years - much like Contarino. I never "hold" money for customers. I won't even do "credit slips" for sold items though customers suggest such routinely. Refunds are done for sold items. . Things happen. I could die and then my wife would be left trying to figure out if the person saying I had thousands of dollars of their money was true. My wife and I could both die at the same time (say in car accident) and then the customer would just be crappity-smacked, because my kids sure wouldn't be able - or even required - to figure it out.

If one is going to give huge sums to someone to hold and purchase books with on your behalf, it would be sensible to choose a partner that isn't a "one man show". Perhaps Metropolis or Mile High or such would agree to this and then you don't have to be concerned about one person dying or going AWOL meaning your money is gone.

Apparently the arrangement worked well for a long time - but to me it sounds like butt hurt waiting to happen.

I am sad to report the news that although it appeared Keith had been making significant progress since his arrest, both in getting his life back in order and working on a plan to make restitution to Ben, depression got the best of him and he took his own life this past weekend.

Although I am hopeful that Ben will be made whole out of his estate, I am saddened by the passing of my friend, wishing I could have done more for him at the end and been better at spotting the warning signs of his mental state, and hope people will remember him as the class act and dealer he used to be and not the troubled shell of himself from the past few months.

Sean Linkenback

This is why the american drug war doesn't work.

Find marijuana in his daughters room, find animal medication in his freezer because he's a vet.

Than they arrest him, and take away his livelihood, his vet license.

I've heard other drug war horror stories but this one is pretty bad.