• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPOILER-FILLED thread about Agents Of SHIELD
1 1

2,204 posts in this topic

Bland.

Weak characters and even worse actors with a terrible plot. All the jokes fell flat. I can't believe this is from the same guy who did Firefly and Avengers. Didn't have a cinematic feel to it like a lot of shows manage to pull off either.

I'll keep watching for now because it's Marvel but i consider me disappointed.

What it is we have become spoiled with shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter, Homeland and other great shows over this last decade.

I would think this will be just as good as Arrow or Heroes. and that`s enough for me.

It doesn`t have to reinvent the wheel like Breaking Bad and Games of Thrones has.

What I think what happened here was people thought they were going to get the Marvel superheroes from the movies, and instead got something like Heroes crossed with secret agents.

I say give it few more episodes, then make your final decision. 2c

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Wasn't good at all

What didn't you like?

-slym

I thought it was just ok. The wife didn't care for it and she was really looking forward to watching. She said she would give it another episode or two to see if in her words "Gets better"; otherwise we will stop recording the series.

To me the characters seemed stiff and as someone else said they didn't have charisma; when working together. The show also didn't seem to flow and felt disjointed. Some of the scenes seemed forced to me; like they were trying to do one thing and were unable to pull off the what they were originally trying to accomplish and just settled.

Psy

It fell into the same trap of Heroes in the FIRST episode.

Random peripheral character #16 with super powers is just NOT interesting. I don't care about them and likely never will. Special needs to be "Special" When "special" is common, its, well.. boring.

Now IF they start bringing in known but less famous heroes from the Marvel universe, it could get on track..

But as of 1 episode? It's Marvel branded Heroes (which was terrible).

oh, and the effects (dude jumping out of the window landing smashing pavement; flying Lola) were badly done. Has there been no progress or budgetary improvements in the last decade of TV special effects? Reminded my instantly that this is TV; not a movie.

The English and Scottish accented "nerd" agents? WAAAAAY too forced and trite.

I'll give it a few more episodes but any more of this "we have to talk to this random dude who has powers before someone else does" and I'm out.

Edited by sl4ppy

1. Was not impressed. If it becomes a "power of the week" show, then it's going to be a yawner. We need to introduce AIM or some other foil for a long arc/ongoing threat.

2. Acting, as others stated was mostly flat/wooden. Decent occasional quips in the -script (most effectively delivered by Clark Gregg), if this show has legs they'll need to find some chemistry fast.

3. The universe was ok, references to the movies and heroes make it feel organic enough. But it is a balancing act, too many Marvel movie references and it starts to feel forced, like "since we're a TV show we cant afford to have Thor or Cap on, but if we talk about them then it's almost as good!"

4. Effects were passable for TV. This isnt Avengers budget, but I feel like the FX were about the same level as Heroes, and that show debuted 7 years ago. Have the FX not gotten better and/or more affordable since then?

5. Joss Whedon doesn't write good pilots, so Im giving a pass for the moment. Buffy didnt have a good pilot, nor did Angel, and Dollhouse was a mess. Firefly was good, but Fox screwed that one up.

I did like that Joss got his spirit guide Ron Glass on another Joss Whedon joint.

I imagine the masses will keep this show afloat for the season, but I dont think the total numbers will be big enough to justify what I assume is a bloated bottom line (marvel licensing & Joss's name dont come cheap). If they right the boat and this can be a good show the numbers might justify the $$.

I thought it was entertaining but could have been better. I will at least watch a couple more episodes. I did like the extremis tie-in from IM3, but the only way I see this show surviving is if they have some marvel superheroes. Even a cameo from RDJ would have made this much better.

1. Was not impressed. If it becomes a "power of the week" show, then it's going to be a yawner. We need to introduce AIM or some other foil for a long arc/ongoing threat.

2. Acting, as others stated was mostly flat/wooden. Decent occasional quips in the -script (most effectively delivered by Clark Gregg), if this show has legs they'll need to find some chemistry fast.

3. The universe was ok, references to the movies and heroes make it feel organic enough. But it is a balancing act, too many Marvel movie references and it starts to feel forced, like "since we're a TV show we cant afford to have Thor or Cap on, but if we talk about them then it's almost as good!"

4. Effects were passable for TV. This isnt Avengers budget, but I feel like the FX were about the same level as Heroes, and that show debuted 7 years ago. Have the FX not gotten better and/or more affordable since then?

5. Joss Whedon doesn't write good pilots, so Im giving a pass for the moment. Buffy didnt have a good pilot, nor did Angel, and Dollhouse was a mess. Firefly was good, but Fox screwed that one up.

I did like that Joss got his spirit guide Ron Glass on another Joss Whedon joint.

I imagine the masses will keep this show afloat for the season, but I dont think the total numbers will be big enough to justify what I assume is a bloated bottom line (marvel licensing & Joss's name dont come cheap). If they right the boat and this can be a good show the numbers might justify the $$.

There is no question in my mind that Joss works better with established characters. The Avengers were all established by the time the movie rolled around. The first few years of Buffy and Angel were relatively weak but once they were more established they worked really well. Dollhouse was overall weak in my opinion, but the end of season "future" episodes were better. Even The Cabin in the Woods used established character tropes of a sort. If this show does last I expect it to only improve (and I actually liked this episode).

from hitfix.com

"Although it may have come in below the highest of expectations, ABC's "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." delivered TV's highest rated drama debut since November 2009 (that would be "V")

more detail

"NCIS" led the 8 p.m. hour overall for CBS with 19.47 million viewers and finished third with a 3.4 rating among adults 18-49 (below the 20+ million viewers and 4.1 key demo rating for last year's premiere Fast Nationals, but not dangerously below).

NBC's "The Voice" was second with 12.66 million viewers and a 4.0 key demo rating.

ABC's "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." was third with 11.89 million viewers and won the hour with a 4.6 key demo rating. [ABC notes that "S.H.I.E.L.D." was Tuesday's top show in all key male demos.]

So it came in 3rd overall, but did well in the keys.

I'm in the "I'll stick with it for a while because of the subject matter and the fact I *want* to like it" camp, but I wasn't blown away with anything in the pilot and actually was kind of annoyed by some of the cast. I really disliked the two whiz-kid agents with British accents and the hacker girl who lived in a van - all three were unconvincing in their performances and smacked of, as others have said, "generic TV characters".

Seeing Coulson again was fun but his history on the silver screen and the Marvel movie pantheon only serves to make everyone else around him pale in comparison... That said, I do think the main "hero" lead (I'm bad with character names) has potential - he reminds me of UFC welterweight Carlos Condit:

CarlosCondit_Headshot143.png

The effects on the show also seemed lacking. The hooded hero landing on the cement and fracturing it when he jumped out of the building looked like something any of us could produce with the Action Movie app, and the Extremis shimmering red face visuals were a shadow of their detailed selves as seen in IM3.

I thought it was entertaining but could have been better. I will at least watch a couple more episodes. I did like the extremis tie-in from IM3, but the only way I see this show surviving is if they have some marvel superheroes. Even a cameo from RDJ would have made this much better.

Yup, cameo's are going to be critical to this show and keeping it in the Marvel Universe. A few toys in the opening scene is not going to cut it in the future. Nick Fury is SHIELD and has to show up at least once or twice.