• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,037 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2024 at 7:42 PM, MultiSig Mike said:

Saw this amazing Silver Surfer statue for sale on eBay from a seller in NV but now it is gone. Does anyone know where to possibly get this piece?

image.png.18828527cc7738e3858eb279f7ed9651.png

Yes, that's from Sideshow: https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/marvel-the-silver-surfer-maquette-sideshow-collectibles-400358?var=400358

On 2/23/2024 at 7:26 AM, F For Fake said:

These guys arrived a couple of days ago. I'd had my eyes on them for a minute, and when they were offered on B1G1 50% off, I had to pull the trigger. They were originally about $530 a pop, so for around $800 shipped, I thought it was likely as good as I was going to do on them.

The portraits are stunning, and the soft goods are terrific. The tailoring, the fit, and the materials, all top notch. Oddly, the hands and heads were a real pain to pop into place, due to how tight the cuffs and collars were on the shirts. They definitely didn't just slide into place with the ease shown in the Sideshow videos! But at the end of the day, it could have been much worse. They look fantastic together, and I'm very glad I finally grabbed them.

The only downside was that while the Cushing shipped in a typical Sideshow brown shipper, Lee was instead shoved diagonally into a huge cube cardboard box without a proper shipper, and zero protection. The art box has some ugly punctures on it. I guess it's not the end of the world, as the boxes will just be put up in the rafters in the garage, unseen for years, but it was still an odd experience. The boxes really are fantastic, with great artwork on the sides highlighted by red foil embossing. I wish I had room to display statues AND boxes, but I barely have room for the statues as it is!

All in all, I'm delighted with them. I'm sure @Cushing Fan has ten of them!

IMG_8695.JPG

IMG_8696.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8683.JPG

IMG_8684.JPG

IMG_8685.JPG

IMG_8686.JPG

IMG_8687.JPG

IMG_8688.JPG

IMG_8689.JPG

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8693.JPG

IMG_8694.JPG

That is hands down a cool set up! I wish my house wasn't so cluttered, and or etc, but rather than turn it into a rant lol 

That looks well planned and thought out, without risk of damage :) Sculpts are recognizably accurate. Horror is not my thing, but with reminiscent svengoolie material, it has been around a long while!

Awesome!

Nice tag btw that is the 1st person I thought of too lol 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 2/23/2024 at 9:11 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That is hands down a cool set up! I wish my house wasn't so cluttered, and or etc, but rather than turn it into a rant lol 

That looks well planned and thought out, without risk of damage :) Sculpts are recognizably accurate. Horror is not my thing, but with reminiscent svengoolie material, it has been around a long while!

Awesome!

Nice tag btw that is the 1st person I thought of too lol 

Hey thanks bud! Appreciate the kind words, the collection is always a work in progress. Always selling something or moving something to make room for something else. As I get older I've adopted a philosophy of "if I can't see it, why do I have it?", which means I'm trying to keep less stuff in storage, and instead slim the collection down to just what I can display and enjoy. However, that is not always successful, there's still plenty of stuff crammed in the laundry room ha So while these pics may look orderly, trust me, you're not allowed to peek in the storage room! It's a disaster ha

On 2/23/2024 at 8:26 AM, F For Fake said:

These guys arrived a couple of days ago. I'd had my eyes on them for a minute, and when they were offered on B1G1 50% off, I had to pull the trigger. They were originally about $530 a pop, so for around $800 shipped, I thought it was likely as good as I was going to do on them.

The portraits are stunning, and the soft goods are terrific. The tailoring, the fit, and the materials, all top notch. Oddly, the hands and heads were a real pain to pop into place, due to how tight the cuffs and collars were on the shirts. They definitely didn't just slide into place with the ease shown in the Sideshow videos! But at the end of the day, it could have been much worse. They look fantastic together, and I'm very glad I finally grabbed them.

The only downside was that while the Cushing shipped in a typical Sideshow brown shipper, Lee was instead shoved diagonally into a huge cube cardboard box without a proper shipper, and zero protection. The art box has some ugly punctures on it. I guess it's not the end of the world, as the boxes will just be put up in the rafters in the garage, unseen for years, but it was still an odd experience. The boxes really are fantastic, with great artwork on the sides highlighted by red foil embossing. I wish I had room to display statues AND boxes, but I barely have room for the statues as it is!

All in all, I'm delighted with them. I'm sure @Cushing Fan has ten of them!

IMG_8695.JPG

IMG_8696.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8683.JPG

IMG_8684.JPG

IMG_8685.JPG

IMG_8686.JPG

IMG_8687.JPG

IMG_8688.JPG

IMG_8689.JPG

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8693.JPG

IMG_8694.JPG

Gorgeous figures and in my humble opinion the best likeness I've seen on Cushing and Lee figures. I'll actually be getting these soon but at the moment have been saving up for some original artwork by Peter Cushing. 

On 2/23/2024 at 9:59 AM, Cushing Fan said:

Gorgeous figures and in my humble opinion the best likeness I've seen on Cushing and Lee figures. I'll actually be getting these soon but at the moment have been saving up for some original artwork by Peter Cushing. 

I totally agree, I can't think of another commercial release which has captured their portraits as well as these do. Oh wow, now that is something, please be sure to share it once you make the acquisition!

On 2/23/2024 at 11:00 AM, Cushing Fan said:

I own two original Peter Cushing watercolour paintings in my collection at the moment.  The more important ("key" painting lol!) is a signed and dated painting Cushing did for a 1958 art gallery showing he did around the time he was filming Dracula for Hammer Films.  The other watercolour painting is from the 1960s and unsigned but was a gift Cushing gave to his secretary and dear friend Joyce Broughton. 

1000011597.jpg

1000011596.jpg

1000011595.jpg

1000011594.jpg

Oh wow, that's amazing! I love the documentation that goes along with them as well, a real piece of history. Lovely stuff.

Do you know what happened to his massive collection of painted miniatures? I'd love to get ahold of something like that.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:22 AM, F For Fake said:

Oh wow, that's amazing! I love the documentation that goes along with them as well, a real piece of history. Lovely stuff.

Do you know what happened to his massive collection of painted miniatures? I'd love to get ahold of something like that.

I saw a few of Cushing's painted soldiers go for sale at the auction of Joyce Broughton's belongings after she passed.  The majority of Cushing's soldiers (as well as his theatre sets) were given to friends in his will when passed. Some have been sold off again and I think Del Toro owns some of his theatre sets. 

On 2/25/2024 at 9:37 AM, media_junkie said:

Love the watercolors.

And totally not trying to be a jerk, but has anyone told you that you have more than a passing resemblance to the "My Name is Earl" guy?

R (3).jpg

Yes, I have heard that before and definitely not offended - I was a big fan of My Name is Earl!

On 2/25/2024 at 8:59 PM, KCOComics said:

My 11 year old son started playing D&D recently and I've really gravitated to painting figures for his games. 

I recently bought and painted this Galactus Statue. It was made from a 3D printer and purchased on Etsy. It took roughly 8 hours to paint and I'm still touching it up here and there. 

I'm trying to settle on what to paint next. 

20240225_084617.jpg

20240225_085230.jpg

20240225_084556.jpg

That's a pretty awesome sculpt you might want to give it an additional quick wash for shading to make it really pop.

image.png.02b4f6fa22f7b73ab79e66efd722e60c.png

This was my other recent big pickup, which I'd been mulling for a bit. This is my first Prime 1 statue. I've always thought they made really nice looking stuff, but the 1/3 scale is just so huge, it's hard to find a spot for anything that large. I am literally running out of display space as it is. However, I really fell in love with this one, so when Sideshow put it on sale, I went ahead and grabbed it. Some reward points, and the option to make three interest-free payments instead of one lump up front, made it much more appealing! This is definitely the most I've spent on a statue. Is it worth it? It's hard to say, but it really is stunning. Will I buy more Prime 1 stuff? Tempting, but I'd have to add a wing to the house.

IMG_8747.JPG

IMG_8749.JPG

IMG_8751.JPG

IMG_8753.JPG

IMG_8755.JPG

On 2/25/2024 at 9:59 PM, KCOComics said:

My 11 year old son started playing D&D recently and I've really gravitated to painting figures for his games. 

I recently bought and painted this Galactus Statue. It was made from a 3D printer and purchased on Etsy. It took roughly 8 hours to paint and I'm still touching it up here and there. 

20240225_084617.jpg

20240225_085230.jpg

20240225_084556.jpg

That came out beautifully!

On 2/25/2024 at 9:59 PM, KCOComics said:

20240225_084617.jpg

20240225_085230.jpg

20240225_084556.jpg

Nice work! 

On 2/25/2024 at 10:53 PM, DougC said:

That's a pretty awesome sculpt you might want to give it an additional quick wash for shading to make it really pop.

image.png.02b4f6fa22f7b73ab79e66efd722e60c.png

Is that stuff used for 40k figures