• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,037 posts in this topic

So, a general question: what do you guys find more interesting, an unfocused but diverse collection of statues, or a very specific theme or focus, like having multiples pieces for just X-Men or Avengers characters (for example)?

Loose focus with the freedom to pick up something outside of the focus if it is really cool.

I like small aggregates of associated pieces. . . I have a Wolverine and a Hulk that look like the cover to Incredible Hulk #181.

Yeah, as much as I wish I could focus, I tend to agree. There's two reasons to buy a statue - how amazing the piece is itself, and how you feel about the character being portrayed. Sometimes a piece is so good, you almost don't care about who the character is.

Exactly. My answer was based on a conversation I had with a long-time collector a few months back. When I had expressed my intent to focus on runs, he looked at me and said, "Focus can be a good thing, but what are you going to if a cool book outside of your focus comes up?" I really didn't have an answer, and so this hybridized version of my thought process came out of it.

I feel the same about the statues. Like I said, I have a few right now, but when I saw the DC ones coming from Sideshow, I thought they made good choices for a group. Same with the TMNT statues. I'd just like to get the 4 Turtles.

There are a few other groups I'd like to get. I think this way lends itself to an organizational system that not only makes sense, but puts a realistic expectation on myself that I can't have everything. . . but there are plenty of options for me to get a bunch of different groups and get statues that I like.

So, a general question: what do you guys find more interesting, an unfocused but diverse collection of statues, or a very specific theme or focus, like having multiples pieces for just X-Men or Avengers characters (for example)?

Loose focus with the freedom to pick up something outside of the focus if it is really cool.

I like small aggregates of associated pieces. . . I have a Wolverine and a Hulk that look like the cover to Incredible Hulk #181.

Yeah, as much as I wish I could focus, I tend to agree. There's two reasons to buy a statue - how amazing the piece is itself, and how you feel about the character being portrayed. Sometimes a piece is so good, you almost don't care about who the character is.

Exactly. My answer was based on a conversation I had with a long-time collector a few months back. When I had expressed my intent to focus on runs, he looked at me and said, "Focus can be a good thing, but what are you going to if a cool book outside of your focus comes up?" I really didn't have an answer, and so this hybridized version of my thought process came out of it.

I feel the same about the statues. Like I said, I have a few right now, but when I saw the DC ones coming from Sideshow, I thought they made good choices for a group. Same with the TMNT statues. I'd just like to get the 4 Turtles.

There are a few other groups I'd like to get. I think this way lends itself to an organizational system that not only makes sense, but puts a realistic expectation on myself that I can't have everything. . . but there are plenty of options for me to get a bunch of different groups and get statues that I like.

Are new TMNT statues coming soon?

It's tricky because both focused collecting and unfocused collecting can lead to buying you don't really love.

Unfocused, and you're prone to impulse-buy stuff you don't care about that much, just because it looks cool.

Focus, and you might feel obligated to buy something you're not that into, just because it fits and you want to add to your collection.

As far as statues go, neither is good. But one way statues differ from comics is that there isn't a sequence to follow, so I think to myself, do I really need these 5 Batmans that aren't that great just because they're "Batman", or should I just buy one or two really awesome Batmans and also get that awesome Punisher, or Daredevil or Wolverine. Considering the space these things take up, what they cost and the fact that they're improving with time, it just seems better to go for higher quality diversity.

Are new TMNT statues coming soon?

No, no. Sorry. Someone posted them earlier in the thread. I saw the Michaelangelo, and thought it looked like a nice statue.

It's tricky because both focused collecting and unfocused collecting can lead to buying you don't really love.

Unfocused, and you're prone to impulse-buy stuff you don't care about that much, just because it looks cool.

Focus, and you might feel obligated to buy something you're not that into, just because it fits and you want to add to your collection.

As far as statues go, neither is good. But one way statues differ from comics is that there isn't a sequence to follow, so I think to myself, do I really need these 5 Batmans that aren't that great just because they're "Batman", or should I just buy one or two really awesome Batmans and also get that awesome Punisher, or Daredevil or Wolverine. Considering the space these things take up, what they cost and the fact that they're improving with time, it just seems better to go for higher quality diversity.

Focus too much, and you miss out on something you may end up liking a lot, too, better than much of what you have in your focused collection.

This one looks amazing! :o

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-doctor-doom-sideshow-collectibles-400086/

But 4' tall?! Yikes! :eek:

400086-doctor-doom-003.jpg

2K? :o

Pass :facepalm:

Absolutely pass. Yikes. Even if it was $1K, I think 4' tall might scare me away! :D I can imagine that statue standing in my dining room and my wife's reaction! :pullhair::makepoint:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-doctor-doom-sideshow-collectibles-400086/

Absolutely pass. Yikes. Even if it was $1K, I think 4' tall might scare me away! :D I can imagine that statue standing in my dining room and my wife's reaction! :pullhair::makepoint:

Dining room? Dining room TABLE!

Guys who collect slabbed comics complaining about the price of statues. lol

It's a 4' action figure....without all the action. :insane:

You're right. Slabbed comics are all about action.

Why so serious?

Why so serious?

I'm not, no need to be. Every slab, statue or basically anything else that's ever been posted on this site constitutes a ridiculous purchase. lol

Why so serious?

I'm not, no need to be. Every slab, statue or basically anything else that's ever been posted on this site constitutes a ridiculous purchase. lol

If I'm gonna pay 2K for Doom's armor....I better be able to wear it. ;)

:D Hey, I was more :eek: about the size of the statue than the $. If it was just the money, time payments or saving could always be done just like with expensive books. I just don't know what I'd do with a 4' statue. (shrug)