• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,037 posts in this topic

Can't wait to see the pictures when they arrive and hope all three arrive safety

Thanks! I'll be sure to post pics of everything, but I'm warning you guys now that they'll suck. I need to stop with the iPhone and get a legit camera.

Can't wait to see the pictures when they arrive and hope all three arrive safety

Thanks! I'll be sure to post pics of everything, but I'm warning you guys now that they'll suck. I need to stop with the iPhone and get a legit camera.

I have two pretty good cameras and I still take iPhone pics lol

I saw this Conan statue from ARH Studios at NYCC, it was beautiful. And massive.

New%20York%20Comic%20Con%20086-XL.jpg

I like Conan and the Snake, and HATE the girl.

This is an odd piece. They are selling this piece in different packages: one package gets you just Conan; the other gets you the girl and the snake AND an alternate head for Conan which I like better (horned helmet). Conan is $480, the snake and girl is $600, which means the entire piece will run just under $1100. And let me state again that I HATE, HATE, HATE the girl, but Conan alone isn't worth the $480 to me, and I don't want to pay what is essentially $600 for a snake, since I refuse to display the girl. So I think I have to pass on this all together because of their strange package deals.

ARH studios is interesting. They've made horrible stuff and they also made what I think is one of the greatest pieces I've ever seen (Medusa) Here's a Medusa unboxing with the founder of ARH:

The stuff at their booth was hit or miss. Agreed about liking the helmeted head better, not crazy about his face. The girl IS a little plastic looking, but I like the overall flow of the piece. Hate the price. Part of what kept me from buying statues was that there are still so many comics I want to buy, and I try to limit the amount of $ I keep dumping into my 'hobby'.

That, and knowing my OCD would kick in. "Well, I can't have just ONE of the Sinister Six, now can I?"

:facepalm:

I saw this Conan statue from ARH Studios at NYCC, it was beautiful. And massive.

New%20York%20Comic%20Con%20086-XL.jpg

I like Conan and the Snake, and HATE the girl.

This is an odd piece. They are selling this piece in different packages: one package gets you just Conan; the other gets you the girl and the snake AND an alternate head for Conan which I like better (horned helmet). Conan is $480, the snake and girl is $600, which means the entire piece will run just under $1100. And let me state again that I HATE, HATE, HATE the girl, but Conan alone isn't worth the $480 to me, and I don't want to pay what is essentially $600 for a snake, since I refuse to display the girl. So I think I have to pass on this all together because of their strange package deals.

ARH studios is interesting. They've made horrible stuff and they also made what I think is one of the greatest pieces I've ever seen (Medusa) Here's a Medusa unboxing with the founder of ARH:

The girl's paint looks incomplete and the head/face sculpt is horrendous.

The stuff at their booth was hit or miss. Agreed about liking the helmeted head better, not crazy about his face. The girl IS a little plastic looking, but I like the overall flow of the piece. Hate the price. Part of what kept me from buying statues was that there are still so many comics I want to buy, and I try to limit the amount of $ I keep dumping into my 'hobby'.

That, and knowing my OCD would kick in. "Well, I can't have just ONE of the Sinister Six, now can I?"

This will definitely happen. Everyone starts off thinking they just want a few...

That said, I'm happy with what I have and have gotten past the need to be a completist. I think the key is to buy slowly and accept the fact that you can't get everything, so just hold out for the very best. Sounds funny coming from the guy expecting three SS pieces in a week, but after this little Christmas in January, I don't expect the next piece to arrive until May.

This will definitely happen. Everyone starts off thinking they just want a few...

That said, I'm happy with what I have and have gotten past the need to be a completist. I think the key is to buy slowly and accept the fact that you can't get everything, so just hold out for the very best. Sounds funny coming from the guy expecting three SS pieces in a week, but after this little Christmas in January, I don't expect the next piece to arrive until May.

True. I only pre-ordered the Spidey from the Campbell line at first, then Black Cat gets announced, then I see MJ, then boom, I now have Gwen on pre-order, MJ should arrive in a week, and I WILL pre-order black cat. And there's also this guy that I can only hope that we'll see more of at SDCC

ut4p.jpg

I need to stop coming in here, this thread is going to cost me all disposable income.

Disposable... I'm going to lose my house if I keep up coming back here and drooling over everyone's statues! lol

I've lost everything once, it's gotta be easier the second time......right? lol

So, someone asked earlier about scale, so I thought I'd make a chart that I can reference in the future.

I also decided to use the pic to illustrate the reason why I argue that 1/4th scale is the best value overall, and why I can no longer bring myself to buy Bowens, irrespective of how good the piece might be. I selected pieces available on Sideshow's site right now, and they're all typical for the scale as far as size and price go:

sizechart_zpsc94ea1a9.jpg

Really dumb (and probably lazy) question...

My Bowen DD statue... is that 1/6? I mean they have "full size" and "mini" statues. That is all I'm ??? about. Because my Faux Bronze DD statue seems pretty big and I would guess it would be 1/5?

So, someone asked earlier about scale, so I thought I'd make a chart that I can reference in the future.

I also decided to use the pic to illustrate the reason why I argue that 1/4th scale is the best value overall, and why I can no longer bring myself to buy Bowens, irrespective of how good the piece might be. I selected pieces available on Sideshow's site right now, and they're all typical for the scale as far as size and price go:

sizechart_zpsc94ea1a9.jpg

I stopped buying bowens because of this reason. Typically I'll go comiquettes or bigger, unless it's a rare dio at a good price.

My Bowen DD statue... is that 1/6? I mean they have "full size" and "mini" statues. That is all I'm ??? about. Because my Faux Bronze DD statue seems pretty big and I would guess it would be 1/5?

Bowen only makes 1/6 scale, though I have bowens taller than 12" due to size of base, size of character, etc. The scale stays the same, though.

Your faux bronze DD is 1/6. It's taller than the Spidey above because his base is higher, but in terms of the body's proportions, it's 1/6. That DD you just got is probably 1/7 or 1/8.

The reason some Bowens denote "full size" is that, back in the day, Bowen used make "mini" versions of their statues at a lower price point. Daredevil, being one of the first releases, has a mini version. They stopped doing that a long time ago, but the "full size" notation stuck with people for some reason.

Additionally, Bowen only has the license for 1/6th scale pieces, so any time you see a Bowen, it's 1/6. The reason Sideshow doesn't make Marvel statues in that scale is that they don't have the license to do it. They limit how many companies can produce different scales so that the market doesn't get over-saturated with pieces of any one size or type.

Kotobukiya's pieces are also 1/6, with some being 1/7 and 1/8.

Sorry Justin, I missed the part about the mini's. They used to make smaller versions of existing statues, I think they stopped that a while back. Smaller scale than the typical Bowen. And as I went to get a drink in mid-post, COI says exactly what I'm typing, making me look like a redundant individual_without_enough_empathy.

Edited by JAM_NYC