• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,037 posts in this topic

Anyone have any statues from XM Studios? I think I'm going to pre order their Wolverine. They're pricey, but the quality is there (except for their Hulk) same with their QC and options for additional portraits and bases. Plus I like the complete resin and no mixed media, which I thought was done poorly with the SS Wolverine PF.

y5esyzy5_zpslo2x5scj.jpg

Edited by AnthaiHERO

The XM sculpts are nice, but I actually like mixed media. Also, for me to get one into Canada will end up running $800-$900 when all is said and done, so I don't see the value in it just yet when I can get two premium formats from Sideshow for that money.

True, they're expensive. I would have to go through BBTS just to get it around $700. I look at XM as an early company whose quality will shrink with success similarly with SS.

Yea you're right and the proof is in the pudding, look at how terrible their DC line has been.... :roflmao::jokealert::kidaround:

True, they're expensive. I would have to go through BBTS just to get it around $700. I look at XM as an early company whose quality will shrink with success similarly with SS.

Yea you're right and the proof is in the pudding, look at how terrible their DC line has been.... :roflmao::jokealert::kidaround:

I'm not saying SS is terrible. They make some amazing statues. The majority of all of my statues are sideshow. But the quality of the original SS statues such as hulk pf, cap, and Thor are by far better than what they're making now, I.e. hollow statues, poor paint apps, and poor packing. Hell the grey Styrofoam they used was better quality than now. The prototypes used to be close to the product you received. It's a gamble now. I'm willing to bet the number of returns for poor paint apps are significantly higher to what they were 8 years ago. And the prices have gone up quite a bit in those last 8 years. Now we're running into issues where they are not even using the same paint on their prototypes vs the final product I.e. The matte paint used on the JSC spidey is now glossy.

SDCC Proto vs final product

2vkb8yx_zps7ou0drcl.jpg

I'm not saying SS is terrible. They make some amazing statues. The majority of all of my statues are sideshow. But the quality of the original SS statues such as hulk pf, cap, and Thor are by far better than what they're making now, I.e. hollow statues, poor paint apps, and poor packing. Hell the grey Styrofoam they used was better quality than now. The prototypes used to be close to the product you received. It's a gamble now. I'm willing to bet the number of returns for poor paint apps are significantly higher to what they were 8 years ago. And the prices have gone up quite a bit in those last 8 years. Now we're running into issues where they are not even using the same paint on their prototypes vs the final product I.e. The matte paint used on the JSC spidey is now glossy.

2vkb8yx_zps7ou0drcl.jpg

While I am disappointed that the paint on the Spidey is completely different, I'm even more mad that we saw them on the MJ and Gwen pieces. Both had the same paint apps as the protos and then when we get around to the main attraction they switch it up. The paint app on that Spidey was a selling point for a lot of people, especially me.

Anyone have a suggestion for a Batman statue i looked at SS they only have the one Blue/gray 6th scale.

I'd search for the SS one if you can find it from a different site or secondary market.

Next I would look at the Kotobukiya 1/6 black and grey Jim Lee.

Frank Miller's is awesome

IMG_1735%201_zpsfuah8v1f.jpg

Also the Kotobukiya SDCC is up for pre order on their site at 1/10 vinyl

BatmanKotokuyiaExclusive_zpsg8zafyth.jpg

http://store.kotous.com/san-diego-comic-con-2014/first-appearance-batman-by-bob-kane-limited-edition-artfx-statue-sdcc2014-exclusive.html

Edited by AnthaiHERO

2vkb8yx_zps7ou0drcl.jpg

While I am disappointed that the paint on the Spidey is completely different, I'm even more mad that we saw them on the MJ and Gwen pieces. Both had the same paint apps as the protos and then when we get around to the main attraction they switch it up. The paint app on that Spidey was a selling point for a lot of people, especially me.

+1 Gwen and MJ were awesome and then they botched the centerpiece.

2vkb8yx_zps7ou0drcl.jpg

The paint app on the proto is washed out, looks almost orange, spider-man is not orange. I like the darker shade of red and I can see why they changed it.

And the prices have gone up quite a bit in those last 8 years. Now we're running into issues where they are not even using the same paint on their prototypes vs the final product I.e. The matte paint used on the JSC spidey is now glossy.

1. Everything has gone up over the past 8 years, you can't expect to be paying what you paid 8 years ago to now, heck I remember when gas was .95 cents a gallon.

2. SS has even said that the factories that paint the statues are different from the ones they use on the prototypes. I agree that SS should use what the factories use.

3. As far as the foam is used, That's just sideshow saving a buck, even at my job they try different things to save on materials, even if what we were using was better. Your workplace does it too.

Anyone have a suggestion for a Batman statue i looked at SS they only have the one Blue/gray 6th scale.

The Premium Format (1:4) Batman from SS. There are photos a few pages back, if you'd like to see.

And the prices have gone up quite a bit in those last 8 years. Now we're running into issues where they are not even using the same paint on their prototypes vs the final product I.e. The matte paint used on the JSC spidey is now glossy.

1. Everything has gone up over the past 8 years, you can't expect to be paying what you paid 8 years ago to now, heck I remember when gas was .95 cents a gallon.

2. SS has even said that the factories that paint the statues are different from the ones they use on the prototypes. I agree that SS should use what the factories use.

3. As far as the foam is used, That's just sideshow saving a buck, even at my job they try different things to save on materials, even if what we were using was better. Your workplace does it too.

Oh believe me I know my workplace does too, I work for the government. I do expect prices to go up, but not quality to go down as I pointed out. Neither do I expect the proto paint to be the same as the final product since SS contracts out to artist for the paint on the protos, but some consistency would be nice. With my Gambit PF, I shouldn't need to exchange my COH three times because the eyes were painted crooked/cross eyed. Nor exchange two 1:1 IM busts because the paint flaked off.

What it boils down to is the same as their change in packaging and protection. Cheaper paint and less materials equal lower cost to increase profit. Don't get me wrong I'm still going to buy from SS since they dominate the market and their sculpts are awesome, but my long list of preorders has shrunk so I can see in hand product pictures to know what I'm getting.

2vkb8yx_zps7ou0drcl.jpg

The paint app on the proto is washed out, looks almost orange, spider-man is not orange. I like the darker shade of red and I can see why they changed it.

The proto picture has flash on. It was more red at SDCC. The JSC collection all had a matte finish at SDCC, which they advertised as their "new" paint. The only one not to carry over to the final product is Spiderman. At least I didn't buy the full JSC line to have one stand out.

As to SS DC line they all came out looking great with the exception of Green Lantern being dwarfed by everyone else at a 1/5 scale compared to the rest of JL at 1/4.

Edited by AnthaiHERO

2vkb8yx_zps7ou0drcl.jpg

The proto picture has flash on. It was more red at SDCC. The JSC collection all had a matte finish at SDCC, which they advertised as their "new" paint. The only one not to carry over to the final product is Spiderman. At least I didn't buy the full JSC line to have one stand out.

As to SS DC line they all came out looking great with the exception of Green Lantern being dwarfed by everyone else at a 1/5 scale compared to the rest of JL at 1/4.

Green Lantern is nowhere near 1/5; he's a tad small for 1/4, but way closer to 1/4 than 1/5. I have the thing in front of me next to other PFs, and he looks great. He even looks fine next to Batman, who's a little big for 1/4. The whole 1/5 thing is complete nonsense.

You're right he's not 1/5 but I wouldn't say he's 1/4 either. Every picture I usually see is him next to Batman and IMHO he looks much smaller when standing next to each other. Partly the base, but regarding body proportions they seem off. Not mine:

25b64666f086971d2d51f72313c0eee7_zpsejscngty.jpg

COI: Do you own the Superman PF?

Edited by AnthaiHERO