• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Kudos!  Don't forget to take it out sometimes and enjoy them!

Thanks a bunch!  I do occasionally go up to the bank to visit, speak with them and bring them :foryou:.

As far as enjoying the actual books, I have all of them on my Marvel Gitcorp DVDs which feature all the issues from inception to 30 years collection. I do have some of them in my personal collection. 

Those of course are in the safety deposit box as well. :banana:

I know your a BIG fan of X-94 like myself as I think it's the much better pleasing to they eye, harder to acquire cover in HG.

What's so funny, is back then when I had that itch?  I almost shelled out the dough for a Hulk 181 9.6 and was considering the purchase of Giant X-1 9.8.  Wish I had now. 

14 minutes ago, tvindy said:

After reading this article (and a few others), I would no longer even consider using a safe deposit box:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/business/safe-deposit-box-theft.html

For every person who loses the contents of his/her safe deposit box, it would be interesting to know many people are able to retrieve the contents of their safe deposit box without issue.

I'm not sure that I am willing to buy a safe and put my books inside. I've heard horror stories about how that turns out.

What would be the best place to store a 50K book? Where do you store your most expensive books?

1 minute ago, Math Teacher said:

I imagine that this same type of activity happens with storage units. I would NEVER store my valuable comics in a storage unit. And I imagine the owners of a storage would also fight you tooth and nail.

True. Some storage unit companies are very shady.

16 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I imagine that this same type of activity happens with storage units. I would NEVER store my valuable comics in a storage unit. And I imagine the owners of a storage would also fight you tooth and nail.

You couldn't store any valuable paper related items in those units anyway. The heat inside those things would be terrible for preservation. I guess the slabs could protect somewhat but Jesus you'd have to be crazy to store comics there shady people or not.

2 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

You couldn't store any valuable paper related items in those units anyway. The heat inside those things would be terrible for preservation. I guess the slabs could protect somewhat but Jesus you'd have to be crazy to store comics there shady people or not.

They have climate-controlled units, though.

55 minutes ago, tvindy said:

After reading this article (and a few others), I would no longer even consider using a safe deposit box:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/business/safe-deposit-box-theft.html

Although I wasn't able to read the article because it requires a subscription, I consider a safety deposit boxes one of, if not the best way to secure your high prized assets without a shred of hesitation.

Why?

Because at least in my case, (I can't speak for all banks), it takes two keys to access my security box:  One key from the financial institution, and the key I have.  A single key won't open the case.  If I lose my keys, the only way the box can be opened is by drilling it open.  I would have to pay $150 for the drilling fee and $25 to replace my lost keys.  

The other beautiful thing about a security boxes are that NO ONE knows what's in those boxes to begin with.  I have privacy and security each and every time I access my assets.  That's the reason, banks don't offer insurance because they don't know what the contents are and that's how I want it. 

Now if you give up your rights and have a co-owner or co-owners who have access to your box, yes, you've opened yourself up for risk that someone can steal your items.  But even then, the bank keeps a log of day and time the box was accessed. 

People have found out their items were missing or stolen because they authorized someone else to have access and that co-owner(s) were the ones who took their items.  So yes, you won't be compensated for that error you made.

Elderly people sometimes forget they may have accessed their box.  But again, a record log is kept when assets are accessed at all times.

I have absolutely no hesitation in securing my comics in a security box that offers protection from weather, theft, and fire with a very minimal fee.  It's the best safe alternative in my book bar none.  

8 minutes ago, Mjolnir! said:

Because at least in my case, (I can't speak for all banks), it takes two keys to access my security box:  One key from the financial institution, and the key I have.  A single key won't open the case.  If I lose my keys, the only way the box can be opened is by drilling it open.  I would have to pay $150 for the drilling fee and $25 to replace my lost keys.

Check out this article:

https://abc7news.com/archive/8973198/

A woman opened her safe deposit box to find that the bank had opened it, removed her stuff, and rented it to someone else. That shouldn't have been possible, since they shouldn't have been able to open it without her key. But it was obviously not drilled into and replaced, since her key still worked in the lock. The bank had obviously lied about her having the only copy of her key. Also, she wasn't behind on her payments, and the bank never returned the box contents to her.

Just now, tvindy said:

Check out this article:

https://abc7news.com/archive/8973198/

A woman opened her safe deposit box to find that the bank had opened it, removed her stuff, and rented it to someone else. That shouldn't have been possible, since they shouldn't have been able to open it without her key. But it was obviously not drilled into and replaced, since her key still worked in the lock. The bank had obviously lied about her having the only copy of her key. Also, she wasn't behind on her payments, and the bank never returned the box contents to her.

Still not even remotely concerned.  Why?

Because in that scenario, if that had happened to me, that bank would be liable for negligence BIG TIME and would be facing a lawsuit for their faulty security error and I would make out in the dough from them being sued.

That scenario happening is slim to none.  I've had my safety security box for over a decade and I've never had the slightest problem or worry about my comics. :cloud9:   

My X-94 9.8 talks to me every-time I visit her with :foryou:

I tell her I'm still madly in love and she doesn't have to worry I'm coming to auction her off.  I'm only here to catch-up on old-times to my childhood.  Afterwards, she hugs me and kisses me on my cheek every-time and tells me she'll always be there waiting for my return. :cloud9:

Just now, Mjolnir! said:

Because in that scenario, if that had happened to me, that bank would be liable for negligence BIG TIME and would be facing a lawsuit for their faulty security error and I would make out in the dough from them being sued.

That scenario happening is slim to none.  I've had my safety security box for over a decade and I've never had the slightest problem or worry about my comics. :cloud9:   

I tell her I'm still madly in love and she doesn't have to worry I'm coming to auction her off.  I'm only here to catch-up on old-times to my childhood.  Afterwards, she hugs me and kisses me on my cheek every-time and tells me she'll always be there waiting for my return. :cloud9:

In fact, upon my next visit, I'll honor Wolverinex's request and take a couple of photos to show on here.  

I'd agree that the safe deposit box is the most secure option, but I'd still want a low grade copy with a nice presenting cover to keep around the house to look at.  Of course, the only comic I have that's approaching being worth putting in a bank would be X-Men #1, and that's already low enough that I wouldn't want to look at anything lower.  At that point I'd have to just display the Marvel Milestone Edition reprint.

7 minutes ago, Mjolnir! said:

Yes, I agree that it's extremely unlikely, but if it does happen, the banks usually put up a lot of resistance. And even suing them is problematic. This is from the NY Times article. (btw you don't need a subscription to read it.) :

Wells Fargo sought to move the case into arbitration, a venue that keeps disputes out of the public record and tends to favor companies over the individuals challenging them. For nearly two years, the two sides battled over that request, until a judge ruled in November 2018 that the case should remain in court. Wells Fargo appealed, prolonging the dispute.

The lawsuit appears nowhere near resolution, and Mr. Poniz already has run up tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees. “The bank has spent a tremendous amount of resources and put them into defending the case, instead of stepping forward and saying, ‘We made a mistake here, let’s make it right,’” said Craig Borgen, another lawyer representing Mr. Poniz.

27 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Yes, I agree that it's extremely unlikely, but if it does happen, the banks usually put up a lot of resistance. And even suing them is problematic. This is from the NY Times article. (btw you don't need a subscription to read it.) :

While I don't understand, why would the bank spend a tremendous amount of assets to defend a case they are likely to lose (unless a settlement amount was offered and was rejected?) is beyond me.

Regardless, we agree that this scenario happening to someone is extremely unlikely (like playing the lottery).  And in my case (fortunately), my books are nothing more than a luxury anyway in relation to my personal net-worth.

I'll take on the minuscule microscopic risk vs. the small monthly banking fee to secure my comics all day every day without blinking an eye.  

I still believe the safety deposit box is the best value for securing the comics you judge to be worth dedicating dollars to keep them safe.  

1 hour ago, Mjolnir! said:

40 minutes ago, Mjolnir! said:

And in my case (fortunately), my books are nothing more than a luxury anyway in relation to my personal net-worth.

I'm guessing the X-Men #94 was reading over your shoulder when you wrote the first post. And then you had more privacy when you wrote the second. :gossip:

19 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

What would be the best place to store a 50K book? Where do you store your most expensive books?

Depends on who you are. I know people with big GA and high grade SA keys that have them sitting at home, and others that use a safety deposit box. The funniest picture I have seen on the boards is one that was posted a while back (I believe it was GAtor?) where the boardie was using some big books as coasters. lol 

2 hours ago, kimik said:

Depends on who you are. I know people with big GA and high grade SA keys that have them sitting at home, and others that use a safety deposit box. The funniest picture I have seen on the boards is one that was posted a while back (I believe it was GAtor?) where the boardie was using some big books as coasters. lol 

You mean the slab as a coaster? Maybe its possible he lives in a fortress (shrug)

Well anyway there's an X94 cgc 9.6 on Ebay that's not so crazy priced sitting way longer than I thought it would. Kind of surprised there. Not mine btw.