• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2021 at 12:06 PM, southern cross said:

My bad. Just had a look at the back cover and the water damage is more prominent there.

And back cover is wavy up to the first two rows on left hand side boxes of the ad.

Still for 2.5 front cover still looks ok.

Bought this in 2019 so the gsx1 train had already left the station.

I just jumped from the over pass to board with a cheap ticket.

Especially what a 2.5 is today 👍

PXL_20210514_035502636.thumb.jpg.eaa42e8866600b9b2fbfd542828eee04.jpgPXL_20210514_035457280.thumb.jpg.b8e6c9427ead4cf1061e0615fff4f489.jpg

Congratulations on getting this book, and it looks great for the grade.

I am not sure that books should be deprecated so much for what may have happened to the back cover. No-one ever looks much at the ads and certainly no-one ever proudly displays their trophy books' back covers.

If they really want to bring the back cover into the grade, they could establish a moe equitable two digit grading system where the cover can be graded as normal and the second digit grades the back cover on a scale of 1 to 5. So for example a good looking book with a dinged back cover could be a 6.52

Edited by Albert Thurgood

1 hour ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Congratulations on getting this book, and it looks great for the grade.

I am not sure that books should be deprecated so much for what may have happened to the back cover. No-one ever looks much at the ads and certainly no-one ever proudly displays their trophy books' back covers.

If they really want to bring the back cover into the grade, they could establish a moe equitable two digit grading system where the cover can be graded as normal and the second digit grades the back cover on a scale of 1 to 5. So for example a good looking book with a dinged back cover could be a 6.52

Maybe.

But as a 2.5 and I bought it back in Australia on holidays in 2019 and I paid Aussie dollars.

It was a good bargain for me to snatch up.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:40 PM, Mjolnir! said:

Although I wasn't able to read the article because it requires a subscription, I consider a safety deposit boxes one of, if not the best way to secure your high prized assets without a shred of hesitation.

Why?

Because at least in my case, (I can't speak for all banks), it takes two keys to access my security box:  One key from the financial institution, and the key I have.  A single key won't open the case.  If I lose my keys, the only way the box can be opened is by drilling it open.  I would have to pay $150 for the drilling fee and $25 to replace my lost keys.  

The other beautiful thing about a security boxes are that NO ONE knows what's in those boxes to begin with.  I have privacy and security each and every time I access my assets.  That's the reason, banks don't offer insurance because they don't know what the contents are and that's how I want it. 

Now if you give up your rights and have a co-owner or co-owners who have access to your box, yes, you've opened yourself up for risk that someone can steal your items.  But even then, the bank keeps a log of day and time the box was accessed. 

People have found out their items were missing or stolen because they authorized someone else to have access and that co-owner(s) were the ones who took their items.  So yes, you won't be compensated for that error you made.

Elderly people sometimes forget they may have accessed their box.  But again, a record log is kept when assets are accessed at all times.

I have absolutely no hesitation in securing my comics in a security box that offers protection from weather, theft, and fire with a very minimal fee.  It's the best safe alternative in my book bar none.  

What happens if you unexpectly pass away, would your heirs be able to access your safety deposit box?  

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

What happens if you unexpectly pass away, would your heirs be able to access your safety deposit box?  

Yes, of course.  I'm provided two keys by the bank. One key I carry with my other keys and the other key is in a spot where the wifey has knowledge of. 

You thinking about using a safety deposit box to secure your goods?  ;)

4 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

Yes, of course.  I'm provided two keys by the bank. One key I carry with my other keys and the other key is in a spot where the wifey has knowledge of. 

You thinking about using a safety deposit box to secure your goods?  ;)

Yes, I have thought about it but there are all those crazy stories about banks breaking into them  that I'm a little worried.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes, I have thought about it but there are all those crazy stories about banks breaking into them  that I'm a little worried.

To ease your concerns I would simply make an appointment and ask the bank representative any questions you may have before committing yourself.

In truth you're taking a greater risk in NOT securing your books if you truly care about them. 

I have complete peace of mind knowing they are in the best area possible for the best price/value.  

17 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

To ease your concerns I would simply make an appointment and ask the bank representative any questions you may have before committing yourself.

In truth you're taking a greater risk in NOT securing your books if you truly care about them. 

I have complete peace of mind knowing they are in the best area possible for the best price/value.  

What he said!

18 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Just so you know, the only way the bank can get into your safety deposit box without your key is by drilling out the lock. At US Bank, which is where my safe deposit box is, I would get charged $150 if I lost my key and the lock had to be drilled out. I'm sure that it would cost the bank less, but it's also not a trivial amount of money.

56 minutes ago, Hongalez said:

Greetings all... Excited to join the club! I  just picked up X-men #94. Mid grade. 5.0 - WHITE pages! Picked it  up from another comic book group but got great advice and a nudge from @Wolverinex whom I met in one of Fool Killer's sales... (of course he beat me to a Silver Surfer  #1!). He also suggested I post the book in this thread as I also had some questions for you experts:

1. It was graded a 5.0, but man I think it got a bad reviewer on a bad day, it looks like a 6 or 7 to me. So curious to hear what you all think it is.

2. Should I crack it, to get it cleaned and pressed (I have a great local guy who's done magic for my books). Grader notes are, "moderate creasing to cover" and "moderate spine stress lines to cover".

3. Can anyone tell if this book has been previously pressed? I think I can see evidence that it hasn't based on this bottom right corner shadow of a bend that if it had been pressed, wouldn't be here.

Alrighty, have at it. Look forward to seeing what folks here say and super stoked to be part of the club!

Oh, and in case folks are wondering... I paid $1250, shipped about a week or so ago. Initial asking was $1400. Maybe a touch high for  the time, but worth paying a little extra for WHITE pages, imho and also still under high's of +$1500 that mid grades of this book have been hitting.

IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5195.jpg

IMG_5193.jpg

Beautiful book !

On 5/19/2021 at 5:30 PM, Math Teacher said:

Just so you know, the only way the bank can get into your safety deposit box without your key is by drilling out the lock. At US Bank, which is where my safe deposit box is, I would get charged $150 if I lost my key and the lock had to be drilled out. I'm sure that it would cost the bank less, but it's also not a trivial amount of money.

Of course, you can only take their word for it that they don't have extra copies of the key they give you. The woman in the article I linked to above was also told that the bank couldn't access her box without her key, but apparently, they had extras. How else could someone else's stuff have been in her box, yet she was still able to open it with her key?

5 hours ago, tvindy said:

Of course, you can only take their word for it that they don't have extra copies of the key they give you. The woman in the article I linked to above was also told that the bank couldn't access her box without her key, but apparently, they had extras. How else could someone else's stuff have been in her box, yet she was still able to open it with her key?

As I stated before, I couldn't read the article but for the most part, why would the bank take the risk of being sued?

And what's really the difference of trusting the bank with your account information or other financial assets?  NONE.

I've never had a problem with my bank or federal credit union.

19 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

And what's really the difference of trusting the bank with your account information or other financial assets?

The difference is that banking is highly regulated by current federal laws, but those laws don't extend to safe deposit boxes.

21 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

As I stated before, I couldn't read the article but for the most part, why would the bank take the risk of being sued?

And what's really the difference of trusting the bank with your account information or other financial assets?  NONE.

I've never had a problem with my bank or federal credit union.

Well, it seems that @Mjolnir! and I have decided what we feel is best for our most expensive books. Feel free, in the words of Fleetwood Mac, to "Go your own way."

57 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Well, it seems that @Mjolnir! and I have decided what we feel is best for our most expensive books. Feel free, in the words of Fleetwood Mac, to "Go your own way."

I'm trying to. It's just that whenever I think the conversation is finally over, you guys keep quoting me.

1yhf3t.jpeg