• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage

347 posts in this topic

I remember thinking how crazy jacked Electro looked. Jusko did do a good job in taking it just before bringing it over the top. Pro bodybuilders 20 years later now dwarf that muscularity. Weight lifting is my other hobby so this look may not stand out as much as to others.

Also I could definitely envision many villains injecting themselves with steroids and HGH to give them an extra edge. I could absolutely picture Eddie Brock shooting up during his lifting sessions in abandon warehouses in his early appearances.

Hell even a lot of the heroes would do it to keep up with the opposition. Forget about all the sports athletes that use. A number of people I know that use are corrections officers , so having that extra size and strength can go a long way in keeping themselves safe/alive at their jobs.

I enjoy lifting myself and although its a recent hobby for me and although with the wife and kid I dont have nearly as much time for it as Id like, I do know what you mean - it doesn't look THAT crazy weird to me either. That being said I never thought a lifter's body was the right physique for a superhero. I pictured something more along the lines of a boxer or a UFC fighter - equal parts strength and speed. Somebody that big is going to be out of breath after a thirty second chase.

Surprised there hasn't been any discussion on the following results:

1. Bissette Swamp Thing 29 cover = $20.3K

2. Sal Buscema Subby #28 cover = $6.5K, which is a bargoon compared to recent sales of Subby covers from the same era

3. Byrne IF #14 page (1st app Sabretooth) = $16K, is this low, high or just right?

4. Byrne X-Men pages between $4.7K - $6.6K. C-level pages are starting to get pricey!

5. Jim Davis Garfield Daily 10/1/83 = $5.1K. This is around 4 - 5x the average daily price. Why?

6. Crockett Johnson Barnaby daily = $9.6K. I suppose I was expecting this one to go a lot higher given its scarcity, but perhaps obscurity got in the way :)

7. Keown Hulk 369 unpublished cover = $1.7K. This one's mine and went for less than I paid for it 8 years ago. I thought it was a very strong cover.

8. Simonson Thor 348p20 = $3.5K. Kinda cheap considering so few are available, no?

9. Daniel Clowes Eightball 23 cover = $23.9K. Whaaaaat?

10. Sim Cerebus 185 splash = $2.3K...someone got a deal.

Hey Yoram +1, I will take a stab at a few of those.

The SOTST Cover was also attributed to Totleben. I don't know what it is but you put Totleben on something in the mid-80s = cash. This cover is more Bissette for sure and the image was just ok. The fact that it cracked 10K is :screwy: but 20K ya talk amongst yourselves. Its considered the peak period by the peak team, but buy the image not the statistics :sumo:lol

The Simonson page. Hey 3.5K for a Copper panel, I mean it was a good sequential panel, but at 3.5K which I thought was just right to a bit strong, I'm thinking, "one day Walt is going to cash out and I'm the dumb who spent 3.5K on a panel, when there are so many to choose from now."

2c

Simonson with inks by someone other than Simonson results most of the time in a remarkably bland product, to the point where I don't even really count it as a Simonson page. So from my POV, the page did very well.

I'm asking here and maybe some people can weigh in on this; is there a sense that Walt's pencils were traditionally loose and that he really polished his art at the inking stage? This would lend itself to the inker being very important and self inked pieces being more desirable?

I don't know, but it would make sense to me. I never thought he found a truly complementary inker the way many of the greats did.

Terry Austin worked well with Walt.

Agree about Terry. This particular Thor page was inked by Wiacek. I thought Wiacek did an excellent job over Walt on X-Factor back in the day, and if this Thor page would have been a better page, I would have been interested. The only Sinonson Thor pages that I don't even bother to look at are the pre Thor 337 issues that had Dezuniga inks. That stuff is quite awful and looks nothing like Simonson. Dezuniga is talented but the pairing with Simonson was beyond inappropriate IMHO.

Scott

Scott I totally agree on the X-Factor run, which is why I really like him on that book but I can still remember some of the barbershop crew at my childhood LCS going, " Simonson on an X-Book :boo:. I can't recall though I guess I could look it up, how much if any self inking Walt did on Thor. Scott do you know how fully rendered his pencils were known to be, it seemed like the peak style was loose, when he started with that huge arc signature and his style evolved to a more Miller / Sienkiewicz / latter JRJR style?

The sad part is that as you said the whole industry was doing these roid monkeys at the time and even still now. It just looks especially ridiculously when realistically painted

Just too many artists that have a body-building fetish.

Bisley was the first comic artist I remember being into realistic renditions of muscles with veins and everything.

2. Sal Buscema Subby #28 cover = $6.5K, which is a bargoon compared to recent sales of Subby covers from the same era

3. Byrne IF #14 page (1st app Sabretooth) = $16K, is this low, high or just right?

4. Byrne X-Men pages between $4.7K - $6.6K. C-level pages are starting to get pricey!

5. Jim Davis Garfield Daily 10/1/83 = $5.1K. This is around 4 - 5x the average daily price. Why?

6. Crockett Johnson Barnaby daily = $9.6K. I suppose I was expecting this one to go a lot higher given its scarcity, but perhaps obscurity got in the way :)

7. Keown Hulk 369 unpublished cover = $1.7K. This one's mine and went for less than I paid for it 8 years ago. I thought it was a very strong cover.

8. Simonson Thor 348p20 = $3.5K. Kinda cheap considering so few are available, no?

The SOTST Cover was also attributed to Totleben. I don't know what it is but you put Totleben on something in the mid-80s = cash. This cover is more Bissette for sure and the image was just ok. The fact that it cracked 10K is :screwy: but 20K ya talk amongst yourselves. Its considered the peak period by the peak team, but buy the image not the statistics :sumo:lol

The Simonson page. Hey 3.5K for a Copper panel, I mean it was a good sequential panel, but at 3.5K which I thought was just right to a bit strong, I'm thinking, "one day Walt is going to cash out and I'm the dumb who spent 3.5K on a panel, when there are so many to choose from now."

2c

Simonson with inks by someone other than Simonson results most of the time in a remarkably bland product, to the point where I don't even really count it as a Simonson page. So from my POV, the page did very well.

I'm asking here and maybe some people can weigh in on this; is there a sense that Walt's pencils were traditionally loose and that he really polished his art at the inking stage? This would lend itself to the inker being very important and self inked pieces being more desirable?

I don't know, but it would make sense to me. I never thought he found a truly complementary inker the way many of the greats did.

Agree about Terry. This particular Thor page was inked by Wiacek. I thought Wiacek did an excellent job over Walt on X-Factor back in the day, and if this Thor page would have been a better page, I would have been interested. The only Sinonson Thor pages that I don't even bother to look at are the pre Thor 337 issues that had Dezuniga inks. That stuff is quite awful and looks nothing like Simonson. Dezuniga is talented but the pairing with Simonson was beyond inappropriate IMHO.

Scott

Scott I totally agree on the X-Factor run, which is why I really like him on that book but I can still remember some of the barbershop crew at my childhood LCS going, " Simonson on an X-Book :boo:. I can't recall though I guess I could look it up, how much if any self inking Walt did on Thor. Scott do you know how fully rendered his pencils were known to be, it seemed like the peak style was loose, when he started with that huge arc signature and his style evolved to a more Miller / Sienkiewicz / latter JRJR style?

Here's a page of Walt inking Colan (it's for sale!). Look how totally Simonson-esque it is. To me its more of a Simonson page than the Simonson/Wiacek.

http://www.bgwdesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Colan+Simonson-Dr.Strange-n.45-p.10.jpg

2c

Scott

Here's a page of Walt inking Colan (it's for sale!). Look how totally Simonson-esque it is. To me its more of a Simonson page than the Simonson/Wiacek.

http://www.bgwdesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Colan+Simonson-Dr.Strange-n.45-p.10.jpg

HA! Good to see my sale is getting some attention somewhere! I almost traded that page to Walt recently but in the end he decided against drawing a crazy scene for me as trade.

Tooooo funny... Never thought I would hear THAT guy's name pop up on this list.

Actually a lot of pros do significant daily cardio. How much all depends on where they are for contest prep. Speed might be an issue for some although Kevin Levrone was a pretty good sprinter especially for his size.

(sound of many comic geeks googling Kevin Levrone)

Actually a lot of pros do significant daily cardio. How much all depends on where they are for contest prep. Speed might be an issue for some although Kevin Levrone was a pretty good sprinter especially for his size.

(sound of many comic geeks googling Kevin Levrone)

Indeed.

Flex Wheeler > Kevin Levrone though both were great. Hard to believe neither won Mr. O.

Back to comics...

Yeah all their characters are shredded and sometimes it seems a bit odd. But considering this is what Julie used to look like I think you can forgive them for it. It was obviously part of their lifestyle:

I haven't really seen too many paintings of theirs where I felt characters were too shredded. Muscularity is pretty common in fantasy and super hero art. There are many paintings where it appears Julie is the model. There have been some where they were actually too bulky especially for an established character. It looked way off. However, it may have been a product of the times as well. In the early 90's most comic characters who didn't even have super strength became steroid freaks. Popular artists like Jim Lee turned guys like Scott Slim Summers aka Cyclops in Mr. Olympia and Magneto Mr. Universe.

It quickly became the norm through out comics. The Electro by Jusko I recently got looks like the undisputed body building champ of 1992 in the Marvel Universe.

Despite this becoming the norm I always found this Daredevil very off for the character. At that size I just have trouble envisioning him being very graceful on roof tops. Not too mention the costume is WAY too skin tight...or vein tight.

Daredevil%20-%20Boris%20Vallejo.jpg

Wow, it looks like Wolverine hacked DD in half and his torso slid forward 8 inches. Somewhere between Boris and Liefeld is reality.

I was watching the movie "Dodgeball" this weekend and Ben Stiller's character, White Goodman had a huge painting of himself grabbing the bull by the horns. The artwork looked exceptionally cheesy so I slowed the playback until I was able to spot the artists' signature near the bottom right-corner...you guessed it, none other than Boris :boo:

you just figured that out now :baiting:

I noticed that painting years ago and asked Julie about it and sure enough its one of theirs. They were well aware of it and were tickled / thought it was funny that their piece was included in the movie.

0.jpg

all I can say is remember the time we were in. Remember, this was cool once. But you'd beat up anybody you saw walking around like this now... that being said, I think the best bet with boris is to not buy blindly. Know there is good, and bad, and only buy what appeals to you. If you are like tim or droom and none of it appeals to you, that's fine, leave them for others.

iceLFI1104_468x762.jpg

all I can say is remember the time we were in. Remember, this was cool once. But you'd beat up anybody you saw walking around like this now... that being said, I think the best bet with boris is to not buy blindly. Know there is good, and bad, and only buy what appeals to you. If you are like tim or droom and none of it appeals to you, that's fine, leave them for others.

iceLFI1104_468x762.jpg

That was never cool.