• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,915 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2021 at 12:38 AM, Mcgorski said:

Hello, My name is Mike and I’m based in Seattle. I’m an avid comic fan for 40+ years.  I love silver age comics, a few golden age.  I have a full run of ASM and am working on flash, green lantern and Batman first appearances.

Welcome Mike! Sweet runs, hope you have the space! Glad you have a big picture when it comes to the storylines!  :headbang:

2 hours ago, TheUnseen said:

Hi all my name is Marcel and I'm relatively new to collecting but I hope to enjoy it as much as everyone here does 

Hello Marcel! Feel free to read and read up and ask questions!  :tink:

1 hour ago, Loading... said:

Hello everyone, I'm Jon and have been a bit of a lurker for a while now but after helping my parents move into a new place I discovered they had kept almost all of my comics from when I was a child! It has reignited my passion to get back into collecting some of the titles I grew up with. Mainly I was into x-men, spider-man, batman and spawn as a child and the love for them has never really went away.  Now that I am approaching my 40's I finally have proper space and some play money to spend getting back into this lifelong passion. I may not be super talkative but I look forward to interacting with this passionate community.

Welcome Jon! Those 90's and late 80's were fun! Glad you're back :whee:

Hi.

I'm Bo.

I've been lurking in many threads for many years. Yesterday I finally posted content (EC fan thread) so it's time I should say "hi."

My love of comicbooks began with superheroes via Saturday morning cartoons and early movies & TV shows, toys, clothes (underoos!), and, of course, late Bronze issues that were bought here and there by my parents.

Other than being a collector of something or another all my life, I'm not sure what initially sparked my interest in the hobby. I do remember that at age 10 I grew tired of the Garbage Pail Kids that were popular and traded a few sought-after cards for a G copy of Amazing Spider-Man 15.

That was it. I was hooked. Fortuitous in my collecting, especially since I was largely confined to building my hobby in Las Cruces, NM (has Regional Scarcity in collecting ever been a topic on these boards?), within a few years I had runs of many titles and quite a few keys. I was 12 or 13 when I purchased copies of Fantastic Four 1 and Incredible Hulk 1-2. 

(Side note: while my collection is modest, so too has been my budget and spending. I've lucked upon many important books over the years - or those which have grown important -  and I'm very proud of only paying $100 or more for 12 comicbooks in my collection, the most being $350. The above mentioned comicbooks were $50 or less each.)

My hobby is now 31 years old and lately I've been looking at it as 3 phases. Life and other pursuits drew me away a few times.

1. Age 10-20. Collect and amass really whatever interested me as I matured or was popular at the time. Try to get old books. Jump on those keys if they ever appeared and I could afford through chores.

2. Age 28-35. Walking Dead actually brought me back as I'm a long time zombie fan. That got me back into the shops. I bought new and starting searching out keys. Again I got lucky from time to time. Interestingly, I never went back to finishing runs I started as a kid. Gaps were ok.

At the tail end of this period I got rid of many, many comicbooks. I sold many dirt cheap to dealers and donated a few long boxes to auction off to charity. (Every so often I do run across a now-key that I got rid of. New Mutants 98, for example. There's actually quite a few but I remind myself of what I kept and move on. I have never replaced something I sold off.) I'm still trying to figure out why I dumped so much of my collection and quit the hobby. I know my reading backlog kept growing and I  began looking at many of my comicbooks without enjoyment and as drek. I also think I wished I'd spent my money focusing more on important books instead of issues that didn't age well. That philosophizing continues....

3. The past almost 2 years. Funny enough, Walking Dead brought me back again when I heard Rick was being killed off. Since then I've been  purchasing keys (mostly Bronze) here and there, but mainly just enjoying what I have. And that's where I'll probably sit for a while. A year ago I could buy decent issues at fair prices. Now it's all too much. I must be pretty content with what I have because there's really nothing out there that I'd pay big money for. These books were $0.15! So instead I'll catalogue, rebag, display, expert myself in grading, and read & enjoy.

By the way, I'm not much into slabbed comicbooks. Of 15 I own, 6 have been jail-broken (most almost immediately upon purchase) and all but 3 or 4 will probably be in the future. I'm also not much into condition. Buy the book, not the grade. My collection runs from Poor to NM but I've always had to limit myself to what I could find (pre-internet especially) and afford.

I do enjoy these boards though. A lot. Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself.

4 minutes ago, grendelbo said:

Hi.

I'm Bo.

I've been lurking in many threads for many years. Yesterday I finally posted content (EC fan thread) so it's time I should say "hi."

My love of comicbooks began with superheroes via Saturday morning cartoons and early movies & TV shows, toys, clothes (underoos!), and, of course, late Bronze issues that were bought here and there by my parents.

Other than being a collector of something or another all my life, I'm not sure what initially sparked my interest in the hobby. I do remember that at age 10 I grew tired of the Garbage Pail Kids that were popular and traded a few sought-after cards for a G copy of Amazing Spider-Man 15.

That was it. I was hooked. Fortuitous in my collecting, especially since I was largely confined to building my hobby in Las Cruces, NM (has Regional Scarcity in collecting ever been a topic on these boards?), within a few years I had runs of many titles and quite a few keys. I was 12 or 13 when I purchased copies of Fantastic Four 1 and Incredible Hulk 1-2. 

(Side note: while my collection is modest, so too has been my budget and spending. I've lucked upon many important books over the years - or those which have grown important -  and I'm very proud of only paying $100 or more for 12 comicbooks in my collection, the most being $350. The above mentioned comicbooks were $50 or less each.)

My hobby is now 31 years old and lately I've been looking at it as 3 phases. Life and other pursuits drew me away a few times.

1. Age 10-20. Collect and amass really whatever interested me as I matured or was popular at the time. Try to get old books. Jump on those keys if they ever appeared and I could afford through chores.

2. Age 28-35. Walking Dead actually brought me back as I'm a long time zombie fan. That got me back into the shops. I bought new and starting searching out keys. Again I got lucky from time to time. Interestingly, I never went back to finishing runs I started as a kid. Gaps were ok.

At the tail end of this period I got rid of many, many comicbooks. I sold many dirt cheap to dealers and donated a few long boxes to auction off to charity. (Every so often I do run across a now-key that I got rid of. New Mutants 98, for example. There's actually quite a few but I remind myself of what I kept and move on. I have never replaced something I sold off.) I'm still trying to figure out why I dumped so much of my collection and quit the hobby. I know my reading backlog kept growing and I  began looking at many of my comicbooks without enjoyment and as drek. I also think I wished I'd spent my money focusing more on important books instead of issues that didn't age well. That philosophizing continues....

3. The past almost 2 years. Funny enough, Walking Dead brought me back again when I heard Rick was being killed off. Since then I've been  purchasing keys (mostly Bronze) here and there, but mainly just enjoying what I have. And that's where I'll probably sit for a while. A year ago I could buy decent issues at fair prices. Now it's all too much. I must be pretty content with what I have because there's really nothing out there that I'd pay big money for. These books were $0.15! So instead I'll catalogue, rebag, display, expert myself in grading, and read & enjoy.

By the way, I'm not much into slabbed comicbooks. Of 15 I own, 6 have been jail-broken (most almost immediately upon purchase) and all but 3 or 4 will probably be in the future. I'm also not much into condition. Buy the book, not the grade. My collection runs from Poor to NM but I've always had to limit myself to what I could find (pre-internet especially) and afford.

I do enjoy these boards though. A lot. Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself.

Yes. Such is life.

But welcome back Bo! It's ok to buy what you've parted with, I too seem to have a limit to spending but it's a little different value. I've spent $500 or less on each, except for about 7 times. Still do the math and that's a lot

:tink:

56 minutes ago, grendelbo said:

Hi.

I'm Bo.

Welcome!!! (thumbsu

18 hours ago, grendelbo said:

That was it. I was hooked. Fortuitous in my collecting, especially since I was largely confined to building my hobby in Las Cruces, NM (has Regional Scarcity in collecting ever been a topic on these boards?),

This is a good point, and no doubt impacted collecting pre-internet for those in the less-populated parts of the US.  While I had access to several LCS's by the time I was 14 or so, finding "old" books - i.e. early FF or ASM's - was rare, especially in quality, despite my telling the LCS's that's what I wanted.  Collectors in New York certainly never had that problem.  For some reason, I never took advantage of the mail order opportunities that were available.

Hi,

I actually started collecting comics in the early 60's as a child. My Mom would give me lunch money and I always went to the corner newspaper stand and began buying and reading comics. I was mainly a Marvel fan, though I did like certain DC comics (The usual suspects of course). I had bought first issues of Fantastic Four, The Avengers and X-Men. Of course I'd buy, read and then put all of my comics into cardboard boxes in my bedroom, until it got to the point that the boxes created clutter. My older Sister had convinced me in the late 60's (I was 15 at the time) to go with my Dad to a flea market and get rid of most of my cardboard boxes. Yes, I had no clue anything would ever see any value in later years. I don't recall what my Dad sold the comics for at the flea market, but I never saw the money. Imagine my heartache years later to see those same first issues commanding thousands of dollars. 

Anyway, I still have a mixed collection of what I retained in the 60's-early 70's, and various boxes of comics I've picked up at yard sales, estate sales, etc. I need to look into selling off some of what I have because right now I have no need to keep them all. I'm kind of clueless on the entire grading process and the cost, and would appreciate any friendly advice on how to proceed.

Thanks for your time!

Dave

18 hours ago, Dave Hummel said:

Hi,

I actually started collecting comics in the early 60's as a child. My Mom would give me lunch money and I always went to the corner newspaper stand and began buying and reading comics. I was mainly a Marvel fan, though I did like certain DC comics (The usual suspects of course). I had bought first issues of Fantastic Four, The Avengers and X-Men. Of course I'd buy, read and then put all of my comics into cardboard boxes in my bedroom, until it got to the point that the boxes created clutter. My older Sister had convinced me in the late 60's (I was 15 at the time) to go with my Dad to a flea market and get rid of most of my cardboard boxes. Yes, I had no clue anything would ever see any value in later years. I don't recall what my Dad sold the comics for at the flea market, but I never saw the money. Imagine my heartache years later to see those same first issues commanding thousands of dollars. 

Anyway, I still have a mixed collection of what I retained in the 60's-early 70's, and various boxes of comics I've picked up at yard sales, estate sales, etc. I need to look into selling off some of what I have because right now I have no need to keep them all. I'm kind of clueless on the entire grading process and the cost, and would appreciate any friendly advice on how to proceed.

Thanks for your time!

Dave

Can’t go wrong with Silver Age classics!!  Welcome to the boards!! (thumbsu

18 hours ago, Dave Hummel said:

Hi,

Thanks for your time!

Dave

Hey Dave! Yes it'll get simpler once you've done a submission or two. There is a "newbie" forum for questions and answers. :foryou: 

You'll catch on :) or it isn't too hard, just takes some knowledge or getting used to :tink: 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/93-newbie-comic-collecting-questions/

Good Evening Everyone

My name is Eddie

I have been quietly reading these boards for the past few years and finally decided to introduce myself. I'm from the UK and very new to collecting comics, the information and insight from others here has been invaluable. My interest in collecting comics stems from my obsession with all things Star Wars. I picked up a few Star Wars books to begin with and found myself hooked, from there i dabbled in anything that had attractive looking artwork. I've acquired several slabbed books but mainly drawn to raw issues that i can read and appreciate, slowly adding where i can but it isn't the cheapest of hobbies! May look to submit some of my favorite books in the future, however GCG UK doesn't seem as streamlined as it is in the US.

Only a few words from me, back to lurking :tink:

On 6/7/2021 at 2:22 PM, ZeroAnger said:

Good Evening Everyone

My name is Eddie

I have been quietly reading these boards for the past few years and finally decided to introduce myself. I'm from the UK and very new to collecting comics, the information and insight from others here has been invaluable. My interest in collecting comics stems from my obsession with all things Star Wars. I picked up a few Star Wars books to begin with and found myself hooked, from there i dabbled in anything that had attractive looking artwork. I've acquired several slabbed books but mainly drawn to raw issues that i can read and appreciate, slowly adding where i can but it isn't the cheapest of hobbies! May look to submit some of my favorite books in the future, however GCG UK doesn't seem as streamlined as it is in the US.

Plenty of Star Wars nuts around here...welcome to the club!!! :banana:

Welcome to the boards!!! :golfclap:

On 6/7/2021 at 3:22 PM, ZeroAnger said:

Good Evening Everyone

My name is Eddie

Hello Eddie :) Yes it can be quite the $$ changer.... Star Wars is fun and a good start! Hope you continue to get satisfaction :x

Just saw this thread, so I’m a few months late. 

Name is Curt. I started casually collecting in the 80’s. My first book was a newsstand edition of Power Man and Iron Fist #78. Bought it at 7/11 on my way to the airport.

Became more of a collector in the late 80’s. I mainly followed artists back then. 

Last August I saw an article that said your comics might be valuable now. In there I saw New Mutants #98 and I said, “I have that book!”

My copy was a dollar bin issue so it’s not in great shape. It just arrived at CGC, so I’ll find out in a few months what’s it’s rated. I’m hoping 5 to 6. 

The news got me excited about comics again and I’ve been collecting again. Here’s the batch that I just sent in, minus two FS Teen Titans 1’s and Cyberforce 1 that I didn’t photograph. 

F7FC56BB-835E-4F7F-8A77-6AF5041B64A6.jpeg

E738D1B6-3B54-449E-95AF-9AB9F0597589.jpeg

8179E580-822D-461E-A8C4-D0A1E6614A16.jpeg

94DCEDAC-0C6A-4C7A-ADB7-35C6C3E30CB5.jpeg

0644E053-0B99-4300-B63A-29E64068E780.jpeg

9 hours ago, Kerdese said:

Name is Curt. I started casually collecting in the 80’s. My first book was a newsstand edition of Power Man and Iron Fist #78. Bought it at 7/11 on my way to the airport.

Became more of a collector in the late 80’s. I mainly followed artists back then. 

Last August I saw an article that said your comics might be valuable now. In there I saw New Mutants #98 and I said, “I have that book!”

My copy was a dollar bin issue so it’s not in great shape. It just arrived at CGC, so I’ll find out in a few months what’s it’s rated. I’m hoping 5 to 6. 

The news got me excited about comics again and I’ve been collecting again. Here’s the batch that I just sent in, minus two FS Teen Titans 1’s and Cyberforce 1 that I didn’t photograph. 

:whee::headbang::x 

20 hours ago, Kerdese said:

Awesomeness. Welcome aboard my brother 

On 6/16/2021 at 12:29 AM, Kerdese said:

Oh, snap! Jim Lee is signing! I’ve always wanted him to sign my X-men 268. CGC just received it. Will they let me get it signed?

Hi, I'm Steve and I'm in the UK. I've been into Marvel in particular since 1972 when I was bought the UK Mighty World of Marvel number 2 on the way home from school one day. Almost 50 years later I'm still as keen as ever. I've swapped, sold (sniff,) and re-purchased so many comics I've lost count, but what I have now I'm keeping and adding to when I can afford it. I'm a fan of low grade stuff these days as I love to handle, read and sniff my comics to be transported back to the 1970s. I've noticed the huge hike in prices in the last 8 years or so for bronze age items that were once overlooked but now recognised as keys, making my mis-spent youth (and mis-spent pocket money,) into very sound investments! Who'd have thought! Look forward to posting some questions in the other forums soon. :banana:

On 6/19/2021 at 4:16 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Hi, I'm Steve and I'm in the UK. I've been into Marvel in particular since 1972 when I was bought the UK Mighty World of Marvel number 2 on the way home from school one day. Almost 50 years later I'm still as keen as ever. I've swapped, sold (sniff,) and re-purchased so many comics I've lost count, but what I have now I'm keeping and adding to when I can afford it. I'm a fan of low grade stuff these days as I love to handle, read and sniff my comics to be transported back to the 1970s. I've noticed the huge hike in prices in the last 8 years or so for bronze age items that were once overlooked but now recognised as keys, making my mis-spent youth (and mis-spent pocket money,) into very sound investments! Who'd have thought! Look forward to posting some questions in the other forums soon. :banana:

Howdy Steve! From across the Pond :) AND WELCOME :headbang: 

Glad there was headway, and an added plus plus to what you've collected! ^^ 

On 6/19/2021 at 3:16 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Welcome aboard!!  You'll find lots of expertise, and fun, on these boards. (thumbsu

I am brand new to this board and I am trying to get an idea of what services I should look for to increase value to my comic books. I am actually more into the Marvel & DC movies however I do have a few comic books. I was actually going through a book that I have put away since 1993 and now opened it. I found 4 Superman Back From The Dead Green Covers all in plastic and cardboard backs. Of course I have seen prices all over the board however none of the graded. Looking for recommendations to see if worth getting graded and which services do you think I should purchase. 

Thank you.

Scott K