• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,913 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:

I have been lurking for a while, and have been greatly enjoying the discussion, questions, pictures and sales.  It’s probably only fair that I come “on board” and apologize for the wall of text to follow.

As with several other posters, I recently woke up from a long winter’s nap with regard to my comic collection.  I started actually collecting in the mid-70s while in Junior High, but the first comics I bought that I still have are ASM 62 and FF 73.  Unfortunately I didn’t follow up with additional issues – at the time.  They were sold out of a cardboard box at Joe’s Market, easy walking distance from the house in which I grew up.  In the beginning, I had no concept of how to treat a comic – I loved reading them, and would fold them all the way over – leading to many “rolled spines” and other damage.  I suspect some found their way into the garbage (horrors!).  I also did not know there were places that sold back issues.  I used to have a recurring dream that Joe’s Market had a bunch of “old comics” in the back and they’d let me have them.

I don’t remember how I learned it, I may have read about it in the newspaper, but eventually I stumbled onto the fact that there were stores that sold back issues of comic books.  The first one I ever visited was called “Old Weird Harold’s.”  To get there, I had to take a bus to the other side of town – a ride of about an hour, with a transfer downtown.  As I walked in the door there, I was nothing like a “comic book collector.”  In fact, I probably didn’t have more than a dozen.  I know I had just bought ASM 122 at Joe’s, so working backwards from there is where I started.  I remember the issues immediately preceding ASM 122 were 3 for $1 (so at the time, I paid a premium to read about Gwen’s death).  That first day I probably spent $5.

Over the next several years, I discovered there were quite a few shops that sold “old comic books,” and acquired long runs of ASM, FF, JIM/Thor and Avengers, along with a bunch of other stuff Marvel was expanding into in 1973-1977.  I cared more about "completion" than "quality" unfortunately.  On the other hand, high quality locally-available back issues may not have even been available.  Once I started college, however, comics went to a far back burner.  Aside from a burst in the early 90s and the occasional visit to an LCS while on the road for work, that was it.

So here I am, back into a hobby that has changed dramatically, with more to learn than I had 45 years ago.  I’m not an investor or a speculator, and appreciate I accidently have some stuff that became valuable while I was looking the other way.  Appreciate the discussions and advice here.

Welcome aboard! Personal collecting stories and adventures are the best! It sounds like you have many. 

Hi all, been lurking for a bit and finally joined up with the idea of sending in some books to be graded soon which makes me probably number 200,000 and something with the same basic story 😂.  At any rate I enjoy the community knowledge and good will these boards consistently provide and am glad to now be a part of it!

11 hours ago, Farayray said:

Hi all, been lurking for a bit and finally joined up with the idea of sending in some books to be graded soon which makes me probably number 200,000 and something with the same basic story 😂.  At any rate I enjoy the community knowledge and good will these boards consistently provide and am glad to now be a part of it!

Welcome!:takeit::tink:

:tink:

Welcome aboard!!! :banana:

Hello! New to the forum but comics have been part of my life since I was a small child. While it is in no way my biggest hobby, it is one that I really enjoy. I have fond memories of going to the comic shops with my older brother in the 90s. He was super into Spawn and Youngbloods and WILDCATS and I really loved Spider-man, Batman, and X-Men. Was always really fond of Venom, Carnage, Wolverine, Gambit, and Cable.

Ive generally collected bronze and copper age comics but more recently i've taken an interest in the Silver Age. I'd never read the 60s Spidey or X-Men comics so I've been going through the old Marvel Tales reprints from the early 80s for Spider-man and I've been really liking it. It's been interesting reading and learning about the Silver Age comics, of Marvel in particular.

Currently i'm working on completing a few sets. Web of Spider-man, Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man, Spider-man (1990), Spider-Man Unlimited, and Marvel Star Wars (1977). Filling in some gaps post 150 in Amazing Spider-man but I'll likely start collecting more of the issues below 150 soon and ill try to get some cool silver age issues!

Anyways, long rambly post. Nice to meet you!

2 minutes ago, Bradley Phillips said:

Hello! New to the forum but comics have been part of my life since I was a small child. While it is in no way my biggest hobby, it is one that I really enjoy. I have fond memories of going to the comic shops with my older brother in the 90s. He was super into Spawn and Youngbloods and WILDCATS and I really loved Spider-man, Batman, and X-Men. Was always really fond of Venom, Carnage, Wolverine, Gambit, and Cable.

Ive generally collected bronze and copper age comics but more recently i've taken an interest in the Silver Age. I'd never read the 60s Spidey or X-Men comics so I've been going through the old Marvel Tales reprints from the early 80s for Spider-man and I've been really liking it. It's been interesting reading and learning about the Silver Age comics, of Marvel in particular.

Currently i'm working on completing a few sets. Web of Spider-man, Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man, Spider-man (1990), Spider-Man Unlimited, and Marvel Star Wars (1977). Filling in some gaps post 150 in Amazing Spider-man but I'll likely start collecting more of the issues below 150 soon and ill try to get some cool silver age issues!

Welcome aboard!!! (thumbsu  Lots of fun, and experience, to be had in these forums.  Hope to see you around!!! :)

8 minutes ago, Bradley Phillips said:

Yes Good Times!
I was the oldest brother, and I had a comic subscription to Amazing Spider-man Classics and those were fun reads as a kid! by the by, I had to keep my Wolverine subscription to myself! Big bro had to keep it real, as I was a fair bit too much older as the 1st born lol(thumbsu 

but for sure the classic style along with what seemed simple was really a draw to READ them :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes Good Times!
I was the oldest brother, and I had a comic subscription to Amazing Spider-man Classics and those were fun reads as a kid! by the by, I had to keep my Wolverine subscription to myself! Big bro had to keep it real, as I was a fair bit too much older as the 1st born lol(thumbsu 

but for sure the classic style along with what seemed simple was really a draw to READ them :) 

You can read,i thought you could only write :roflmao:,sorry im out of the hospital and on painkillers my joke might be just fun for me lol

The name is Rob I am from the UK. Been pretty much exclusively collecting Marvel Comics for over 30 years now. Just signed up for an account as I believe it is time to start getting some graded/slabbed issues in my collection. About to submit for the first time next week so (sadly) I am quite excited about it. Not too concerned by the wait time as back when I started collecting I had to order from Milehighcomics and at the time lived in Saudi Arabia so the order from sending (the then hand written list) to receiving the order took well over 4 months.

5 hours ago, I've Got Issues Comics said:

The name is Rob I am from the UK. Been pretty much exclusively collecting Marvel Comics for over 30 years now. Just signed up for an account as I believe it is time to start getting some graded/slabbed issues in my collection. About to submit for the first time next week so (sadly) I am quite excited about it. Not too concerned by the wait time as back when I started collecting I had to order from Milehighcomics and at the time lived in Saudi Arabia so the order from sending (the then hand written list) to receiving the order took well over 4 months.

Welcome, well pull up a chair, pop a cold one and let it commence :headbang: 

5 hours ago, I've Got Issues Comics said:

Welcome aboard!!!  Try out these threads if you'd like opinions and a general idea before submission on how well your comics might do.  It's not official of course, but there's plenty of experience on the boards.  Just don't forget to read the forum rules. (thumbsu  Have fun!!!

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Edited by Galen130

Hello, My name is Mike and I’m based in Seattle. I’m an avid comic fan for 40+ years.  I love silver age comics, a few golden age.  I have a full run of ASM and am working on flash, green lantern and Batman first appearances.

Hello everyone, I'm Jon and have been a bit of a lurker for a while now but after helping my parents move into a new place I discovered they had kept almost all of my comics from when I was a child! It has reignited my passion to get back into collecting some of the titles I grew up with. Mainly I was into x-men, spider-man, batman and spawn as a child and the love for them has never really went away.  Now that I am approaching my 40's I finally have proper space and some play money to spend getting back into this lifelong passion. I may not be super talkative but I look forward to interacting with this passionate community.

57 minutes ago, Loading... said:

Hello everyone, I'm Jon and have been a bit of a lurker for a while now but after helping my parents move into a new place I discovered they had kept almost all of my comics from when I was a child! It has reignited my passion to get back into collecting some of the titles I grew up with. Mainly I was into x-men, spider-man, batman and spawn as a child and the love for them has never really went away.  Now that I am approaching my 40's I finally have proper space and some play money to spend getting back into this lifelong passion. I may not be super talkative but I look forward to interacting with this passionate community.

Welcome back to collecting...and welcome to the boards!!! :banana: