• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,913 posts in this topic

Long-time lurker and first time post here on the boards. I've been a serious collector since the early-90s... had a solid collection of DC Silver and Bronze up to the early 2000s, as well as X-books from the early 80s and up. I sold much of my DCs and key books 20 years ago as I was about to start grad school. I've kept a subscription box at the LCS continuously since then - but always keen on selling complete runs of Modern Age once I'm done reading. 

Enter the Pandemic last year, when I - along with many others - decided to revisit my collection and completed the holes in my X-Men 94-141 run in high grade. Finished that task, and now my other main interest these days is early Golden Age anthology superhero books - mostly DC for now, but I'll dabble in other publishers at some point.

I feel like since I've had this previous life as a Silver Age and Bronze Age key collector, I have an advantage of already having owned so many key books in the past - many of which I'm certainly priced out now... I liked them at one point, but they're not interesting to me anymore. Been there, done that. I still love the characters, but I'm certainly out of the Speculator game. So now, I just go for what I like - early GA books, in low to mid-grade, 2.0-6.0, preferably raw.

Cheers!

On 8/8/2021 at 9:47 PM, gumption said:

Long-time lurker and first time post here on the boards. I've been a serious collector since the early-90s... had a solid collection of DC Silver and Bronze up to the early 2000s, as well as X-books from the early 80s and up. I sold much of my DCs and key books 20 years ago as I was about to start grad school. I've kept a subscription box at the LCS continuously since then - but always keen on selling complete runs of Modern Age once I'm done reading. 

Enter the Pandemic last year, when I - along with many others - decided to revisit my collection and completed the holes in my X-Men 94-141 run in high grade. Finished that task, and now my other main interest these days is early Golden Age anthology superhero books - mostly DC for now, but I'll dabble in other publishers at some point.

I feel like since I've had this previous life as a Silver Age and Bronze Age key collector, I have an advantage of already having owned so many key books in the past - many of which I'm certainly priced out now... I liked them at one point, but they're not interesting to me anymore. Been there, done that. I still love the characters, but I'm certainly out of the Speculator game. So now, I just go for what I like - early GA books, in low to mid-grade, 2.0-6.0, preferably raw.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard!!! :tink:

On 8/8/2021 at 10:47 PM, gumption said:

Cheers!

There is a genre for everyone I hope :x

Welcome back :)

On 8/18/2021 at 3:53 PM, Mark Mundy said:

My name is Mark, I have been collecting for 30 years but have never been a grader. Un til now. Thanks for having me.

Awesome @Mark Mundy It's a great skill to learn!

To 30 more :tink: 

On 8/18/2021 at 2:53 PM, Mark Mundy said:

My name is Mark, I have been collecting for 30 years but have never been a grader. Un til now. Thanks for having me.

Definitely check out the grading thread…lots can be learned there. (thumbsu

Welcome aboard!!! 👍🤙🖖

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Hello from Metropolis, The Home of Superman. Lived here all my life and always collected comics. Just got back into collecting recently with the kids starting to get a feel for them. Can't wait to get my first comic graded soon.

Edited by Jayrodimus

Hey in rey I'm new here, I'm new to the grading community in general. I'm a collector , i've recently got back into after losing most my books to flooding and and moving as a kid. I loving pop culture especially comics and u wanna start buying, selling, and trading comics. I have a few I wanna see if they're worth getting graded if anyone cares to see lmk thanks for the welcome 

On 8/22/2021 at 2:16 AM, JasonTodd69 said:

Hello everyone, My name is MJ ahmed. I've been a comic book enthusiast for quite a while now. I put my enthusiasm aside and started to focus on my studies. Now I'm back.

Awesome MJ, glad the priorities worked out, and glad there is now time for a bit of the funny book business :) 

On 8/22/2021 at 1:16 AM, JasonTodd69 said:

Hello everyone, My name is MJ ahmed. I've been a comic book enthusiast for quite a while now. I put my enthusiasm aside and started to focus on my studies. Now I'm back.

Welcome back and welcome to the boards!!:tink:

Hello there!

My name is Joel and I am new to CGC, though not to comic book collecting. In the 90s, when I was a kid/pre-teen, I amassed a pretty sizable collection of Spiderman books at the time over several years, including Amazing #11 & 14, through cutting a lot of grass for family and neighbors. I stupidly sold it all off in the early 2000s because of personal issues, and haven't really gone near Spiderman since then.

I did get the collecting bug again a few years back though. It started with trying to collect as many appearances of the Scarecrow in Batman books that I could. I was also really into TMNT as a kid, getting most of the TMNT Adventures issues over time, but was always curious about the original Mirage books. So a few years ago I decided to take the plunge into the Mirage books and bought a lot on ebay for (I think; this was 2011 or 2012) a few hundred - it contained issues 1-25, some Tales of TMNT, and a few graphic novel collections of the early books. I looked through the books when I got them, and then got distracted by graduate school / career stuff for a few years. I recently went back to them though, and looked at them a bit more thoroughly - turns out my #1 was a 2nd printing, and my #3 was a 1st printing. I've decided I want to hunt down the rest of the series, and try to get as many of the first printings of the early oversized books as possible (#1 first printing will never happen because that's way out of my price range, but I'm very happy with the #1 second printing I have), and then try to get Laird and Eastman to sign those through CGC.

So yeah, that's me, and a bit about my interests as it relates to comic books. :)

Hello! I'm Lucas, 21 yo and I was born into the MCU era of comic exposure, but I have always been heavily invested in both DC and Marvel (Slanting more Marvel for sure). My motivation to get into comics, however, comes from a box of 80's ish era comic books given to me by a past neighbor. 56 to be exact all in plastic covers and of course they've always had sentimental value to me but I guess my goal is to see if any of the pieces I have, mean anything to you guys. I'm here to learn from y'all and always welcome to suggestions! 

On 9/1/2021 at 12:40 PM, Sarzac said:

Hello there!

My name is Joel and I am new to CGC, though not to comic book collecting. In the 90s, when I was a kid/pre-teen, I amassed a pretty sizable collection of Spiderman books at the time over several years, including Amazing #11 & 14, through cutting a lot of grass for family and neighbors. I stupidly sold it all off in the early 2000s because of personal issues, and haven't really gone near Spiderman since then.

I did get the collecting bug again a few years back though. It started with trying to collect as many appearances of the Scarecrow in Batman books that I could. I was also really into TMNT as a kid, getting most of the TMNT Adventures issues over time, but was always curious about the original Mirage books. So a few years ago I decided to take the plunge into the Mirage books and bought a lot on ebay for (I think; this was 2011 or 2012) a few hundred - it contained issues 1-25, some Tales of TMNT, and a few graphic novel collections of the early books. I looked through the books when I got them, and then got distracted by graduate school / career stuff for a few years. I recently went back to them though, and looked at them a bit more thoroughly - turns out my #1 was a 2nd printing, and my #3 was a 1st printing. I've decided I want to hunt down the rest of the series, and try to get as many of the first printings of the early oversized books as possible (#1 first printing will never happen because that's way out of my price range, but I'm very happy with the #1 second printing I have), and then try to get Laird and Eastman to sign those through CGC.

So yeah, that's me, and a bit about my interests as it relates to comic books. :)

Hello Joel! Welcome to the boards!

TMNT is a worthy ambition, glad you're able, those can be hard to find and or expensive when you do 😂

Congrats!

On 9/2/2021 at 5:39 PM, LucasAdams said:

Hello! I'm Lucas, 21 yo and I was born into the MCU era of comic exposure, but I have always been heavily invested in both DC and Marvel (Slanting more Marvel for sure). My motivation to get into comics, however, comes from a box of 80's ish era comic books given to me by a past neighbor. 56 to be exact all in plastic covers and of course they've always had sentimental value to me but I guess my goal is to see if any of the pieces I have, mean anything to you guys. I'm here to learn from y'all and always welcome to suggestions! 

Well welcome Lucas. It can be a hunt and the thrill of it that will get the ball rolling for some collectors. Awesome neighbor who obviously cared enough to pass along something. Hope you find more and what you're looking for. ;)

Hi, I used to collect back in the 90s and I bought some in the early 00's. I sold everything when the first kid came along. On FCBD I went back to my old comic shop and wound up picking up some silver/bronze age books, and since then have been picking up more stuff. My favorite characters are Captain America, Daredevil, Green Lantern, Flash and Batman. I love the old Neal Adams stuff and the Norm Breyfogle Batman stuff.

On 11/2/2013 at 12:14 PM, thirdgreenham said:

New members join the CGC boards everyday, but some just lurk around without saying too much. The point of this thread is to give a heartfelt welcoming, and encourage our new boardies to introduce themselves and say hi.

Hopefully, with your time spent here, you will learn some things, make some friends, and ultimately, enjoy yourselves. (thumbs u

I'll start. I'm Andy. I love DC war comics, but have branched out into every which direction you can think of. Right now, I'm right into Golden Age books and classic covers. :luhv:

Don't be afraid to ask any questions. That's how you're going to learn. :) We do, however, have a search engine, and some people may end up asking you to use it. To save yourself a potential smidgen of ridicule, you could consider trying that first. :foryou:

So, without taking up any more of your valuable time, I'll step back from the podium and pass the microphone to you.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:Welcome to the boards, my friends! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Hello! Been a spidey collector for a few years. Love this brand! 

On 9/9/2021 at 12:08 PM, oakenfelder said:

Hi, I used to collect back in the 90s and I bought some in the early 00's. I sold everything when the first kid came along. On FCBD I went back to my old comic shop and wound up picking up some silver/bronze age books, and since then have been picking up more stuff. My favorite characters are Captain America, Daredevil, Green Lantern, Flash and Batman. I love the old Neal Adams stuff and the Norm Breyfogle Batman stuff.

Glad the old Shop was still around, sounds like a great return :) 

Welcome Back!