• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

Ratings for WD Pilot = 5.35

Ratings for Preacher Pilot= 2.4

Some shows take awhile to build an audience....Breaking Bad, Sopranos etc...... all started about the same if not lower than the Preacher premiere.......give it time. I have tremendous faith in the show runners. And for those who have never read a Preacher comic you are in for a wild ride. I only hope they film in S.A. when we get to the final arc. That would be too cool.

Wow - $1,100 for a 9.8? Looks like RAK may have been right about this one. Hate to say it.

I sold a #1 CGC 9.8 SS for $1,300 and a Preview in CGC 9.8 in $1,100 the day before the show aired - if the books are still selling for these prices 2-3 months from now, it would go a long way towards proving that CAK might have been on to something.

As of right now, though, the prices are following the same pattern as all the other comic book-based TV shows that aren't named Walking Dead.

As others have said, I don't care what the show does to the price of the book, though I know many others are very interested in it and I get that... But sometimes it feels like that overshadows everything else.

It's nice to see something I never, ever thought I'd see - a Preacher adaptation. It gave me a similar feeling to the one I had watching the first Avengers movie when they did the 360 degree team action shot. Good stuff.

Wow - $1,100 for a 9.8? Looks like RAK may have been right about this one. Hate to say it.

I sold a #1 CGC 9.8 SS for $1,300 and a Preview in CGC 9.8 in $1,100 the day before the show aired - if the books are still selling for these prices 2-3 months from now, it would go a long way towards proving that CAK might have been on to something.

As of right now, though, the prices are following the same pattern as all the other comic book-based TV shows that aren't named Walking Dead.

MrSchmidt I have to respectfully disagree.

Months and months of buying 8's and 13's for a fraction of what I'd have to pay will attest to that. I think 3-7 can gain a lot, there just isn't much in them.

But 1, 2, 8, 13 and 66 are far more money today than they were even a month ago (I'm not talking slabs here folks). Whether or not they sustain is another thing.

Jay

As others have said, I don't care what the show does to the price of the book, though I know many others are very interested in it and I get that... But sometimes it feels like that overshadows everything else.

It's nice to see something I never, ever thought I'd see - a Preacher adaptation. It gave me a similar feeling to the one I had watching the first Avengers movie when they did the 360 degree team action shot. Good stuff.

I am invested in the book, there is no doubt, I don't try to pretend. I don't have any first issues though so my investment isn't multiple thousands. But I agree, the number of people posting on both new shows (Preacher and Outcast), makes me think it's 50/50! As in half don't even care, they just want the books to go up!

But WAY more important to me is that the show is great, and lives up to the comic. While watching the first episode, I honest-to-God had goosebumps, I alsol felt incredibly proud that this thing, this entity that I talked (bragged) about to all my friends for years, about it being mine and mine alone, is now a TV show. And I'm all smiles (my wife looked over at me and made a comment to the point of 'what's that $hlt eaten grin on your face all about?). If the books tank they tank, I truly feel that way. I just want people to see gramma, I want people to see the Allfather, Herr Starr and the good ol boys. That's what I want most of all. Either way I'm in for the ride!

Jay

Months and months of buying 8's and 13's for a fraction of what I'd have to pay will attest to that. I think 3-7 can gain a lot, there just isn't much in them.

But 1, 2, 8, 13 and 66 are far more money today than they were even a month ago (I'm not talking slabs here folks). Whether or not they sustain is another thing.

Jay

We're saying the same thing, though :shrug:

The prices right now are the highest they've ever been - which is consistent with what happened with all the other comic books that were turned into TV shows.

If the prices actually stay the same (or climb) during the next 2-3 months, Preacher would be the first comic book outside of WD to have that trajectory.

My gut feeling is that we're pretty much at the peak.

Outside of Walking Dead I can't think of any other TV show adaptation comic that crossed 1K in 9.8. I could be wrong though. I think it will slowly climb and peak a little higher. Just as I believe the show will build a much bigger audience.

Outside of Walking Dead I can't think of any other TV show adaptation comic that crossed 1K in 9.8. I could be wrong though. I think it will slowly climb and peak a little higher. Just as I believe the show will build a much bigger audience.

Probably because this is the first modern classic to see this treatment over a decade after printing it's last issue.

Three or so years ago you could pick one up for criminally cheap, it was undervalued. I know people say this all of the time here, but for Preacher it was true.

My guess is it'll settle a good bit unless the show blows up massive. As much as I love the book, it'd have to become mainstream to sustain these values. And it's probably a little too much of an odd duck for that.

Jay

The prices right now are the highest they've ever been - which is consistent with what happened with all the other comic books that were turned into TV shows.

If the prices actually stay the same (or climb) during the next 2-3 months, Preacher would be the first comic book outside of WD to have that trajectory.

Haven't most show/movie hype books pretty much crashed after the opening weekend (AV 55/57, X-Men 141/142, etc). The fact that the premiere has hit and the books seem to be moving upwards makes me think this may be a series to make its own category (not WD levels but a whole different category of price increases).

Jay

Haven't most show/movie hype books pretty much crashed after the opening weekend (AV 55/57, X-Men 141/142, etc). The fact that the premiere has hit and the books seem to be moving upwards makes me think this may be a series to make its own category (not WD levels but a whole different category of price increases).

Movies, yes - TV shows, no.

Probably because this is the first modern classic to see this treatment over a decade after printing it's last issue.

Three or so years ago you could pick one up for criminally cheap, it was undervalued. I know people say this all of the time here, but for Preacher it was true.

My guess is it'll settle a good bit unless the show blows up massive. As much as I love the book, it'd have to become mainstream to sustain these values. And it's probably a little too much of an odd duck for that.

Agree. Preacher # 1 should be in every one's collection already.

:sorry:

In and out, in and out, in and out . . . . :grin:

It may be permanently "out" for me now. That's OK though. I've owned enough copies that I'm fine with the trade (and my OA) at this point.

Key Nielsen Highlights for the series premiere of "Preacher" (L+3)

Episode 1, 10:00 p.m. Sunday, May 22

· 3.8 million viewers, up 61% from live/same day

· 2.0 million Adults 18-49, up 74% from live/same day

· 2.2 million Adults 25-54, up 71% from live/same day

I don't understand ratings too much but it looks like a lot of DVR viewing is taking place.

Key Nielsen Highlights for the series premiere of "Preacher" (L+3)

Episode 1, 10:00 p.m. Sunday, May 22

· 3.8 million viewers, up 61% from live/same day

· 2.0 million Adults 18-49, up 74% from live/same day

· 2.2 million Adults 25-54, up 71% from live/same day

I don't understand ratings too much but it looks like a lot of DVR viewing is taking place.

The days of sitting at home waiting for a show to come on are largely behind us. It happens of course, but with the advent of "on demand" and "dvr" and many shows on simultaneously....it's obvious that the trend is now to watch whenever you want as opposed to broadcast times. I think ratings folks have to take that into consideration when judging the popularity of a show.