• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

Unless its Game of Thrones or WD.

The point being if its really good people will watch it live.

Next week will tell us more just like a second issue does.

And sit through commercials every 4 minutes? Hell no.

Okay I understand that I was thinking of Game of Thrones.

Yes I agree on network television it does suck. You can tell I am

used to HBO and Netflix.

Unless its Game of Thrones or WD.

The point being if its really good people will watch it live.

Next week will tell us more just like a second issue does.

And sit through commercials every 4 minutes? Hell no.

Okay I understand that I was thinking of Game of Thrones.

Yes I agree on network television it does suck. You can tell I am

used to HBO and Netflix.

And Fastball, I don't know if this is a Canadian thing (I certainly don't think it is but it's rarely mentioned on here), we got an Android for Christmas, now we barely watch regular cable except for sports. Otherwise we use the Android. How many people have switched over to this (I downsized the cable and saved over $100)? I can't see this as being something that the Neilsen Ratings can compute. We watch everything the day after it airs (or later), I'm heading up right now to watch GOT.

Jay

Many are ditching cable. It's an entire industry referred to as 'cord cutting.' I personally have a few Roku boxes for streaming, I pay for Netflix, HBO, and (somewhat reluctantly) Hulu and I use Plex for streaming everything else.

In the years I've been doing it I've literally saved thousands of dollars.

If you're a big sports fan... well, that's how they retain a lot of people. Sports are still difficult.

Many are ditching cable. It's an entire industry referred to as 'cord cutting.' I personally have a few Roku boxes for streaming, I pay for Netflix, HBO, and (somewhat reluctantly) Hulu and I use Plex for streaming everything else.

In the years I've been doing it I've literally saved thousands of dollars.

If you're a big sports fan... well, that's how they retain a lot of people. Sports are still difficult.

100%, I can't live without my Jays and Habs, and that's the main reason they get me. We have 3 kids as well, so turning on a cartoon channel is just easy, so that's another small part of it. We pay for Netflix as well, although most of that stuff (if not all), is on the Android. Otherwise you're right, why even have cable? And truth be told, watching anything live on AMC is horrific, the commercials are a whole other level of bad, usually pushing either that horrific 'Comic Book Men' or something else stupid. At least watching live sports it's mostly beer commercials, something I can actually support. I just don't think I'm in the minority anymore, people just don't watch live TV.

Jay

We've also been able to order just about any series we've been interested in as a season pass as it airs. Typically we subscribe to them on Amazon, but sometimes we've used the Google media store - typically it's around $20 (Preacher is $25 on Amazon) for the whole season and it's available for streaming the next day. Your mileage may vary on this one, we've only been interested enough in a few shows.

The only thing we watch the night it airs is Game of Thrones, which shows up right away on our HBO streaming service.

It works great for us, but I have a few friends that are hardcore into television and they watch so many shows cable almost begins to make sense.

Slingbox is definitely an option but it just seems to be recreating the same problem on a smaller scale - I don't want at least half of the channels they offer, but at least 'half' is much smaller.

A nice option for people that like sports, but no guarantees they'll be able to see their team(s).

My wife, who has read 2 comic series in her life, Preacher and Y The Last Man, was very excited for this show. She watches a lot of TV.

About 3/4 of the way thru she said 'This is unwatchable. I'll give it 3 episodes."

I gave up after 15 minutes. But then again, I hate most everything.

Did she say why it was unwatchable?

I am curious. It's an interesting word to use.

To me, it was the most standard three character introduction pilot, maybe ever. They ran the thread of Genesis flying around through it, but we had to meet the three main characters, and especially get an idea of both of Jesse's dueling sides, before he meets Genesis.

Seemed pretty straightforward launch episode introduction stuff? I can't get emotional either way about it as it's like a glossary for the season to come.

I read the TPBs so I knew what was happening and filled in the gaps in storytelling. However my friends/family had no idea of the comics and also no idea what was going on in the show. (With two separate texts specifically asking about the guy with the butt for a face.)

I think (key word) a better setup for the non-comic viewers would have started with the 3 main characters already together -- perhaps fighting some baddies or attempting to understand the usage/source of Jesse's power. Then there could be flashbacks for each character to give backstory and depth, ending with them together at the start (either in the same episode or a few down the line).

The other main point that even I had with the show was: Why is this show different? Why should I watch more? So far we've seen a bad/good preacher, an ex-girlfriend who can make things, and an Irish guy (the vampire part may not have hit home just yet). Needed more focus on why this story is interesting.

I read the TPBs so I knew what was happening and filled in the gaps in storytelling. However my friends/family had no idea of the comics and also no idea what was going on in the show. (With two separate texts specifically asking about the guy with the butt for a face.)

I think (key word) a better setup for the non-comic viewers would have started with the 3 main characters already together -- perhaps fighting some baddies or attempting to understand the usage/source of Jesse's power. Then there could be flashbacks for each character to give backstory and depth, ending with them together at the start (either in the same episode or a few down the line).

The other main point that even I had with the show was: Why is this show different? Why should I watch more? So far we've seen a bad/good preacher, an ex-girlfriend who can make things, and an Irish guy (the vampire part may not have hit home just yet). Needed more focus on why this story is interesting.

I like your idea for flashing back for a first episode so fans wonder how they get to there from here. That's been used a bunch, but for this type of show I think it's a perfect device.

I don't think anyone has any question about what Cassidy is though. lol Between the scene on the plane and in the crater I don't think there's much doubt.

I like your idea for flashing back for a first episode so fans wonder how they get to there from here. That's been used a bunch, but for this type of show I think it's a perfect device.

I don't think anyone has any question about what Cassidy is though. lol Between the scene on the plane and in the crater I don't think there's much doubt.

re: Cassidy. That's what I thought too, but my friend (who I gave the first TPB to) still wasn't sure what his deal was. She was confused by the sun/fire at the end and wondered if Cassidy had some magical powers. More likely poor reading comprehension/retention skills. :)

re: Cassidy. That's what I thought too, but my friend (who I gave the first TPB to) still wasn't sure what his deal was. She was confused by the sun/fire at the end and wondered if Cassidy had some magical powers. More likely poor reading comprehension/retention skills. :)

lol I figured the fangs, biting the guy on the neck and then filling the gin bottle with the pilot's blood and drinking it would have been the tip off....also the hilarious failed holy water attack against him. It's possible your friend took a bathroom break during all of it.

Anyone know anything about this being the 1st appearance of Preacher?

Preacher Auction

I haven't seen this book before and couldn't find any info about it.

Another "Diamond Previews" style thing.

It's an advertisement, given out to dealers when they were making orders and to put out at the shop to show people what's coming.

I watched it last night. I found it to be extremely "meh." My experience with the book was that you liked the characters, even though you maybe felt you shouldn't. My experience with the show was that I didn't like any of the characters, even though they were designed to be more likable.

I watched it last night. I found it to be extremely "meh." My experience with the book was that you liked the characters, even though you maybe felt you shouldn't. My experience with the show was that I didn't like any of the characters, even though they were designed to be more likable.

Since it's free on Itunes, I downloaded it and watched it 2-3 more times since the premiere date. Lots of little things I missed before that I picked up on watching it again. Made me really like Jesse's character. His patience and caring with Arseface. His own doubt and pain reflected by him. That glimmer of enjoyment when he was beating up the guys in the bar was a nice hint as to what's being restrained beneath the surface. They really showed a nice balance in him.

I benefited from a second viewing. I also benefited from it being at least 5 years since I read Preacher (probably more like 10). lol