• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

I like the show, but agree that for folks that have no background knowledge of the comic might find it confusing. I also think it's going a bit more slowly than anticipated. It seems like they're trying to build characters, but are taking longer than necessary IMHO.

I think the whole character development could have taken place in one 2 hour pilot, with flashbacks PRN.

Saint of Killers looks like he's going to be a badass when he starts tracking Jesse and the gang, tho.

Ok, I have a question.....

I read the entire series, but it's been probably 4 years since I did so.

Are these characters ringing true to the book? I mean, beyond Cassidy?

Tulip is nothing like I remember her....not at all.

The answer is both "yes" and "no". Jesse is coming across as a deeply conflicted guy that has alot of baggage and problems.

Cassidy is pretty much Cassidy.

Tulip doesn't resemble her comic incarnation, but I think that was intentional.

Arseface is definitely arseface.

We haven't seen enough of Odin Quincannon to really see if he's the same.

Saint of Killers brief introduction was good, but that was while he was alive....not the undead incarnation that we got to know and love in the comics.

The angels are definitely different, but once again I think that was intentional.

Clearly not a direct panel by panel adaptation of the comic. Absolutely retooled for a modern audience with modern sensibilities.....but STILL confusing and a bit slower than desirable.

I was just referring to the three mains, really, but I agree about Arseface. He's perfect so far.

The Tulip thing is sticking with me. The "three amigos" from the comic had a dynamic between them that really made the comic work beyond it's central plot line. If they are taking that away the dynamic will be entirely different and thus the entire feel will be different.

I like the show, but agree that for folks that have no background knowledge of the comic might find it confusing. I also think it's going a bit more slowly than anticipated. It seems like they're trying to build characters, but are taking longer than necessary IMHO.

I think the whole character development could have taken place in one 2 hour pilot, with flashbacks PRN.

Saint of Killers looks like he's going to be a badass when he starts tracking Jesse and the gang, tho.

Ok, I have a question.....

I read the entire series, but it's been probably 4 years since I did so.

Are these characters ringing true to the book? I mean, beyond Cassidy?

Tulip is nothing like I remember her....not at all.

Check out this article, I find it hits some of the relevant points pertaining to the adaptation of these "over the top" characters for television:

http://www.themonolith.com/featured/preacher-10-characters-cause-amcs-comic-adaptation-problems-spoilers/

The Tulip character is really grating. She has no nuance and is 100% in-your-face extreme. It's like Rogen and Goldberg pitched the comic to AMC and the executives came back and said, "We like the concept and the characters except for Tulip. We need more attitude!"

so far I am loving the show. My 3rd best read ever for a comic so I love seeing the characters come to life. I know there will be deviations from the book (happens with everything) but so far I love it all. The saint of killers is gonna kick some spoon eventually, love that back history on him just like the mini series.

so far I am loving the show. My 3rd best read ever for a comic so I love seeing the characters come to life. I know there will be deviations from the book (happens with everything) but so far I love it all. The saint of killers is gonna kick some spoon eventually, love that back history on him just like the mini series.

Loving it too. There are comments about people being confused if they haven't read the comic. I am not sure why that would be the case. Confused about what?

Loving it too. There are comments about people being confused if they haven't read the comic. I am not sure why that would be the case. Confused about what?

If you read the comic, you know who these characters are.....and what's going to happen....for the mostpart.

If you never read the comics and have no background information, the material presented so far is a bit confusing.

For instance: they were shown some old-timey western stuff and a cowboy that seemingly has no relationship to the main characters. We all know that's the Saint of Killers, but some folks must be going: WTF, why are we flashing back to the 1800s?

If you read the comic, you know who these characters are.....and what's going to happen....for the mostpart.

If you never read the comics and have no background information, the material presented so far is a bit confusing.

For instance: they were shown some old-timey western stuff and a cowboy that seemingly has no relationship to the main characters. We all know that's the Saint of Killers, but some folks must be going: WTF, why are we flashing back to the 1800s?

I hear what you are saying, but one of my favorite shows, American Horror Stories, always starts this way, and you never have any idea of what the heck is going on for AT LEAST 2-3 episodes. I think people generally expect more from the shows they are watching now, and they usually stick around. I also expect this to all be wrapped up in the next few episodes, and it will be a much clearer picture. I am just thrilled that it's a TV show. I have to pinch myself everytime I watch it. I watched the first episode 3 times and I catch something different I missed the last time when I do. I'm going to watch the 2nd episode over again tonight, and I'm sure the same will happen. Can't wait to see SOK start his rampage!!!

Jay

I hear what you are saying, but one of my favorite shows, American Horror Stories, always starts this way, and you never have any idea of what the heck is going on for AT LEAST 2-3 episodes. I think people generally expect more from the shows they are watching now, and they usually stick around. I also expect this to all be wrapped up in the next few episodes, and it will be a much clearer picture. I am just thrilled that it's a TV show. I have to pinch myself everytime I watch it. I watched the first episode 3 times and I catch something different I missed the last time when I do. I'm going to watch the 2nd episode over again tonight, and I'm sure the same will happen. Can't wait to see SOK start his rampage!!!

Jay

I liked the 2nd episode much more than the first. I do agree that a little more explanation is needed for the non-comic fan. Surely they had a little bit more budget to "flesh' out Genesis a bit more than just a beam of light and wind.

And explaining that those two guys are angels should be out there, i.e. Cassidy having some sort of reaction/revelation when he tastes their blood and realizes they aren't human.

I've accepted Ruth Negga as Tulip, but I'm not a fan of her overt bad-assery, I can do anything no problem, attitude.

I was really expecting to see the scene from issue 1 of her failed assassination attempt once I saw Cassidy driving around in the pick-up.

I agree it's not a bad show at all just misses the mark in a few places and I don't like Tulip at all. Show is a B- to C+ for me so far.

I haven't seen Outcast but Preacher is behind WD and Into the Badlands for me in terms of quality

Jay

I agree with Jay here. I don't think the audience should expect or need to know exactly who the cowboy guy from the 1800s is. That will come with time. Character introductions don't have to be full and immediate. Now, the audience is waiting to find out how this cowboy guy relates to the main story.

Episode 2 was an improvement for me. Of course that's not too hard since the pilot was pretty much a miss. My wife (who couldn't care less about comics) seemed to be enjoying it a little more too, right up to the part where she fell asleep anyway.

It's starting to sound a lot like the BvS discussion of 'too confusing/complicated' for the layperson. I'm not seeing that at all, but to each his own. I have several non-comic friends watching the show and they all seem to be following it so far (or at least following what they've been given, not knowing what is to come). I can't believe it needs to be said, but as for flashback/cut scenes 'confusing viewers' (re.: Saint of Killers in 1881)....well, that is what they are for. They are to introduce story elements with no (current) context and allows the viewer to wonder what will happen. Then the story elements are further explored allowing the viewer to have that 'Aha' moment when they finally figure it out. The Fargo series used this device a lot in the first two seasons.

Also a lot of comparisons to Outcast, (probably only because they started at the same time because to me it's like comparing apples to oranges as far as TV shows go). The only thing they really have in common is that they are comic adaptations. I like both of them quite a bit so far, but the feel of the shows is really not comparable, IMO.

I don't seem to mind the Tulip changes as much as most, but will give Negga a chance. I've never seen her in anything before, but she strikes me as a good actress.

It's starting to sound a lot like the BvS discussion of 'too confusing/complicated' for the layperson. I'm not seeing that at all, but to each his own. I have several non-comic friends watching the show and they all seem to be following it so far (or at least following what they've been given, not knowing what is to come). I can't believe it needs to be said, but as for flashback/cut scenes 'confusing viewers' (re.: Saint of Killers in 1881)....well, that is what they are for. They are to introduce story elements with no (current) context and allows the viewer to wonder what will happen. Then the story elements are further explored allowing the viewer to have that 'Aha' moment when they finally figure it out. The Fargo series used this device a lot in the first two seasons.

Also a lot of comparisons to Outcast, (probably only because they started at the same time because to me it's like comparing apples to oranges as far as TV shows go). The only thing they really have in common is that they are comic adaptations. I like both of them quite a bit so far, but the feel of the shows is really not comparable, IMO.

I don't seem to mind the Tulip changes as much as most, but will give Negga a chance. I've never seen her in anything before, but she strikes me as a good actress.

I will stop typing my own post and go with everything that Annihilus said.

I've enjoyed it so far. I have a lot of family members and friends (that are not comic people) watching it too, they all seem to like it so far. My wife during the church scene was, "who are these guys with the chainsaw." I replied "do you want me to tell you?" She said "no, I'm sure it will make sense soon."