• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth Rogen to make Preacher for AMC?

485 posts in this topic

Should I sell my Preacher now or shoot myself after lol

Sell before the pilot airs - just like for every other TV show that isn't named Walking Dead.

But what if it becomes as popular as WD? :devil:

Sell before the pilot airs - just like for every other TV show that isn't named Walking Dead.

It doesn't matter :)

WD is WD - every other TV show based on a comic book property has followed pretty much the same pattern and it has made no difference whether the show ended up being good/popular or not.

WD is WD - every other TV show based on a comic book property has followed pretty much the same pattern and it has made no difference whether the show ended up being good/popular or not.

That is my thoughts well. I had 6 Preacher #1's CGC 9.8's. I already sold 4 of them, and was holding back 2 till the show started.

I can see couple sales of 1k for a CGC 9.8 of #1 but I just don't see how the book will be as popular as WD #1.

-higher print run

-only 66 issues

-limited marketability

-religious undertone which leads to controversy

That is my thoughts well. I had 6 Preacher #1's CGC 9.8's. I already sold 4 of them, and was holding back 2 till the show started.

I can see couple sales of 1k for a CGC 9.8 of #1 but I just don't see how the book will be as popular as WD #1.

-higher print run

-only 66 issues

-limited marketability

Strangely there are more WD #1 9.8s then Preacher 1 9.8 & 9.6s combined on the census. I'm sure there are more raw ultra high grade Preacher 1s floating around but with Preacher 1 CGC 9.8 going for $800 you would think most of the 9.6 / 9.8 contenders would have been subbed.

-higher print run

-only 66 issues

-limited marketability

Strangely there are more WD #1 9.8s then Preacher 1 9.8 & 9.6s combined on the census. I'm sure there are more raw ultra high grade Preacher 1s floating around but with Preacher 1 CGC 9.8 going for $800 you would think most of the 9.6 / 9.8 contenders would have been subbed.

Preacher has a much higher print run, and just got hot a little over a year ago.

1996-2014.....buying Raw 9.8 #1's for $15 bucks off eBay.

-higher print run

-only 66 issues

-limited marketability

Preacher has a much higher print run, and just got hot a little over a year ago.

Due to the dark color and cover stock, Preacher #1 will likely be tougher to find in 9.8 as a % of the print run, and possibly overall, than WD #1. I have a copy I am sending in shortly that is a 9.4/9.6 due to a couple of minute spine ticks from storage.

-higher print run

-only 66 issues

-limited marketability

Due to the dark color and cover stock, Preacher #1 will likely be tougher to find in 9.8 as a % of the print run, and possibly overall, than WD #1. I have a copy I am sending in shortly that is a 9.4/9.6 due to a couple of minute spine ticks from storage.

I find it was kinda easy. (shrug)

Submitted 8 copies i bought. 7 9.8's and 1 9.6.

-higher print run

-only 66 issues

-limited marketability

Several blue 9.8's have cracked $1000-$1130 already, in GPA.There has not been any comic book TV or movie adaptation that has hit the $1000 mark for a first issue, except WD 1....as far as I know.

Preacher has been hot for the better part of 3 years, not just a year and change.

The 1st sale of a cgc 9.8 to surpass $500 , was a blue cgc 9.8, sold for $650 on 11/22/2013.

I dunno about the scarcity of the book in 9.8 opposed to WD 1 in 9.8, the census isn't that reliable.

But one has to think that a decent amount of HG copies have already been subbed, since rumors of the show started escalating prices from an average of $150ish in CGC 9.8 to $450, back in 11/2013.

You also have to account for the number of copies in CBCS slabs so again, the census has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Far as your other points, you may have a point on the 66 issue limited run.But there is plenty to draw from over the 66 issue run, and just like the WD , the show will not be a scene for scene remake.

The religous undertone, leading to controversy...will probably help garner interest-not hurt the show.

WRT limited markability, I would have to disagree.

Look at how AMC markets their shows.From WD, Mad Men, Breaking Bad & the Goodman spinoff, The Night Manager...they generally don't put out shows that are not very well received.

Here is a good example, a set of stills were put out a few days ago...and both of the trailers linked from this page are genuinely as striking/creepy/unsettling as can be.

http://www.gamespot.com/images/1300-3054570

Far as buying raw 9.8's off eBay for 15 bucks back in 2014, dunno how that was possible as cgc 9.8's were selling for an average of around $550-$600, in 2014.

Not saying you didn't do that but it would have been the exception i.e. buy it now prices from sellers who didn't know better.

Anytime raw 9.8's were auctioned, no way you'd be able to win them at 15 bucks in 2014.

Even in 2012, Preacher 1 was a $200 book , slabbed in 9.8.

I've submitted 3 great copies and got 2 9.6s and a 9.4. That spine always looks weird to me and throws me off.

You're probably referring to the same issue that plagues Sandman #1's.

90's Vertigo books had weird paper stock...and the books with higher page counts like Sandman 1 and Preacher 1, tend to exhibit a pronounced degree of spine flecking, what I call Vertigo fuzziness.

The spines are more prone to fuzziness, IOW light flecking.Not quite seperation, but it looks like partial tearing/seperation along the length of the spines.

I believe that is why we have yet to see a Preacher 1 graded at 9.9.

There has been a Sandman 1 graded at 9.9 by CGC, due to the fact Sandman 1 has had more copies subbed....and didn't also have a black cover.

As far as NWO's easy time with buying and subbing Preacher 1's.....GPA shows otherwise.

Then again, this is a guy who offered up like 12 copies of new mutants #98 on the forum in one sales thread recently and has a clear knack for slabbing copper keys for cgc 9.8's

Either way, his experience would be the exception.

Several blue 9.8's have cracked $1000-$1130 already, in GPA.

No. There has been exactly 1 sale of a blue label #1 in CGC 9.8 that cracked $1k - and that was last year. Considering several other copies sold at around the same time for $800-900, it's safe to say that the $1,130 sale was an outlier.

There has not been any comic book TV or movie adaptation that has hit the $1000 mark for a first issue, except WD 1....as far as I know.

Sixth Gun #1's in 9.8 were selling for close to $1k (I'm pretty sure there was a $1k sale here on the boards) back when that series was optioned.

Preacher has been hot for the better part of 3 years, not just a year and change.

The 1st sale of a cgc 9.8 to surpass $500 , was a blue cgc 9.8, sold for $650 on 11/22/2013.

Slabbed copies started to pick up steam at the end of 2013 / beginning of 2014, yeah, but raw copies didn't creep up till later - I was still easily picking up raw copies for $30 a pop in 2014.

But one has to think that a decent amount of HG copies have already been subbed, since rumors of the show started escalating prices from an average of $150ish in CGC 9.8 to $450, back in 11/2013.

The census has almost quadrupled since 11/2013 and shows no sign of slowing down - a clear indicator that there's plenty of raw copies out there. Heck, I still have 20+ raw copies in my own collection.

There has been a Sandman 1 graded at 9.9 by CGC, due to the fact Sandman 1 has had more copies subbed....and didn't also have a black cover.

There are no copies of the DC/Vertigo Sandman #1 that have been graded CGC 9.9. You're confusing this book with the one from the 1974 DC series which has a single 9.9 in the census.

Several blue 9.8's have cracked $1000-$1130 already, in GPA.

No. There has been exactly 1 sale of a blue label #1 in CGC 9.8 that cracked $1k - and that was last year. Considering several other copies sold at around the same time for $800-900, it's safe to say that the $1,130 sale was an outlier.

Responding in bold....You're right...although there were several sales between $950-$990.

There has not been any comic book TV or movie adaptation that has hit the $1000 mark for a first issue, except WD 1....as far as I know.

Sixth Gun #1's in 9.8 were selling for close to $1k (I'm pretty sure there was a $1k sale here on the boards) back when that series was optioned.

I was not aware of Sixth Gun.However, you bringing it up, actually proves my point.

Preacher has been averaging $800 in 9.8 since 11/2015.....a decent amount of 9.8 copies have sold in the past 6 months.

Sixth Gun had a GPA high of about $950, then successively dropped off VERY quickly.As in like a handful of 9.8's sold at/around $800 , then the book vanished into obscurity, over the following months.Last sale of a 9.8 was a whopping $65.

I will post up all of the GPA figure, for all years available, in 9.8 , for Preacher 1 in 9.8...to show the muktiple growth curves/spike of the book, shortly.

For contrast, I'll post up the very short run of Sixth Gun 1 sales in 9.8.

Slabbed copies started to pick up steam at the end of 2013 / beginning of 2014, yeah, but raw copies didn't creep up till later - I was still easily picking up raw copies for $30 a pop in 2014.

The census has almost quadrupled since 11/2013 and shows no sign of slowing down - a clear indicator that there's plenty of raw copies out there. Heck, I still have 20+ raw copies in my own collection.