• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth Rogen to make Preacher for AMC?

485 posts in this topic

Several blue 9.8's have cracked $1000-$1130 already, in GPA.

No. There has been exactly 1 sale of a blue label #1 in CGC 9.8 that cracked $1k - and that was last year. Considering several other copies sold at around the same time for $800-900, it's safe to say that the $1,130 sale was an outlier.

There has not been any comic book TV or movie adaptation that has hit the $1000 mark for a first issue, except WD 1....as far as I know.

Sixth Gun #1's in 9.8 were selling for close to $1k (I'm pretty sure there was a $1k sale here on the boards) back when that series was optioned.

I'm responding in bold type, to make this format easier to read.

As far as the Sixth Gun breaking the $1K price in CGC 9.8, you are correct.BUt sales of this book at/around $100 were transient as efffffff.

Also, if the 1994 Preacher Preview wasn;t around to steal "market share" as the first appearance of Jesse Custer, I firmly believe Preacher #1 would be selling for a couple hundred more than it sells at.But that is neither here or there.

Sixth Gun #1 is much unlike Preacher #1, which has hit around a G-Ball in CGC 9.8 and Preacher #1 has not dipped below its' average price point in GPA ( around $800 in 9.8) since it stated blowing up back when the first Preacher trailer played during the Walking Dead in 11/2015.

Preacher hit $800-$1050 in 11/2015.We are now going on SIX MONTHS of Preacher #1 holding an average of $800 in 9.8.Sixth Gun #1 never came close to that feat.In other words, Preacher #1 has strayed far beyond the typical price point of 1st issue movie/TV books; which is usually in the $200-$400 range.

GPA tells the story much more succinctly than I do, no need to take my word for it;)

I will post the figures at the end of this post but to sum it up, Sixth Gun lasted only a couple weeks at/around $800-$1000 in 9.8.

Preacher 1 has held its $800 average value for well more than ten times as long as Sixth Gun #1 ever did, and Preacher #1 only seems to show a steady uptick, to reinterate my point.

Preacher has been hot for the better part of 3 years, not just a year and change.

The 1st sale of a cgc 9.8 to surpass $500 , was a blue cgc 9.8, sold for $650 on 11/22/2013.

Slabbed copies started to pick up steam at the end of 2013 / beginning of 2014, yeah, but raw copies didn't creep up till later - I was still easily picking up raw copies for $30 a pop in 2014.

I haven't focused on buying Preacher 1's intil late 2014.I did not see any copies floating around in late 2014, anywhere near $30.I remember seeing raw NM's at shows at around $100.

I passed at that price, twice.I'd pay $100 for a raw NM Preacher 1 in a second, now....and if these are raw NM-pressable to 9.8 candidates....sheeeit, I'll pay 4200 for pressable copies all day long....send a brotha a PM, already;)

Seriously, Preacher is likely my favorite comic of all time, buuuuuut what in God's name are you doing with 20 raw copies, just sitting around?

Just curious.

But one has to think that a decent amount of HG copies have already been subbed, since rumors of the show started escalating prices from an average of $150ish in CGC 9.8 to $450, back in 11/2013.

The census has almost quadrupled since 11/2013 and shows no sign of slowing down - a clear indicator that there's plenty of raw copies out there. Heck, I still have 20+ raw copies in my own collection.

It makes absolute sense that the census has doubled since 11/2013.When a book starts selling for $800-$900 with no resistance, everybody who has a raw HG copy lying around will jump right on and ride that gravy train.

That is my point, the people who want to make money without any tangible risk, cash in as soon as they see their pony hitting $800 easily.They take their pony to have its coat washed and its nails done, before they put it out for the Annual Pony Show, to find a buyer.

In this pony's case, CCS & CGC are handling the coat washing & primping details, but it all boils down to the same thing.

A lot of people want to make a quick buck at first opportunity, that sums up the flipper mentality in a nutshell.The census is at around 425 copies in 9.8 and 425 copies in 9.6.

It was already low to begin with, and it is still relatively low.

Preacher 1 blue 9.8 brings around $800 in eBay auction, when sellers don't list it at BIN.To have a book sell at auction on eBay....not Heritage,Comic Link or Comic Connect...but eBay, briskly at around $800 is a clear sign that the demand for Preacher 1 is strong and that demand outweighs supply, when the book is sold/priced at $800.It is still increasing in straight up dollar value at 9.8, AFTER the CGC census has already DOUBLED.

Not directly related but hte last sale of a CGC SS was $1375 in eBay auction, a couple weeks back.Signed only by Fabry and here was no sketch, IIRC.

As far as the GPA figures on Preacher 1 and Sixth Gun 1 are concerned.....meh,posting them up will have to wait.That is a monumental copy/paste job.

It is 12:23 on a Saturday morning as I type this and I have to go to bed.

Preacher Pilot Review: One Of The Good Ones

Where the Preacher comic book series hit the ground running, with the trio of leads already on the road, AMC’s TV series seems much more interested in solidifying these characters and their relationship before sending them out into the world. The pilot introduce protagonist Jesse Custer (Dominic Cooper), the preacher in the small Texas town of Annville. Jesse has taken the job over from his father, but is clearly feeling down on his luck and about out of faith as he struggles to reach his congregation.

For all of Preacher’s reputation for the comical extremes it can go to, there’s one quote that cuts the core of the series: "You gotta be one of the good guys, son, 'cause there's way too many of the bad." This request, made by Jesse’s father to Jesse as a child, is pivotal to Jesse’s character. The fact that this quote made it into the pilot, that it will inform the series’ understanding of Jesse Custer as a character from the very beginning, tells me that the show’s creators have a vital and important understanding of what Preacher is all about. Jesse has a lot of growing to do, and a long road to walk, but I’ll be happy to see him take those steps, and happy to see what kind of chaos he and his friends throw Annville into along the way.

‘Preacher’ EPs Explain Why an Exact Adaptation Wouldn’t Work

Recently, Rogen and Goldberg mentioned to EW that their original pitch of Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon’s comic to AMC was for it to be a 100% faithful adaptation. “We actually pitched, ‘It’s going to be like Sin City, frame-for-frame, almost. We’re going to be really true to the comic,” said Goldberg. Rogen added, “And we totally just threw that out the window.”

“We talked with Garth, and Garth very much encouraged us to make a lot of small changes and to make it a good show first and foremost. Our big thing is we want fans who love the comic to get everything they want but also make some new twists and turns.”

“We love the comic, and we are going to make a show we like. So we hope that that translates to people who love the comic as well. But, again, our first and foremost goal is to make a great, entertaining, fun television show that, if you’ve never heard of the comic book, you love. We talked a lot about that.”

One major difference from the comics is explained by another of the show’s executive producers, Sam Catlin, who told EW:

“Narratively, it starts at 110 miles an hour. I don’t know how you tell that story in the narrative television form. So, came up with the idea that we would see Jesse as a preacher — because he’s only very briefly a preacher in the comic, and then he’s just kind of a bad- guy in a preacher collar. We thought there would be an opportunity to see someone try to do their job, be sort of the spiritual sheriff for the town. There’s so many big set pieces and crazy, over-the-wall violence, comedy, stuff like that. We wanted to ground it in something familiar, so that it didn’t feel like a bad acid trip.”