• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth Rogen to make Preacher for AMC?

485 posts in this topic

I was seriously underwhelmed by that trailer.

I will give it a shot, but I am worried.

My thoughts all along were, "Please, stick to the source material." Now I feel like they've reworked the source material.

It may not be the Preacher we all know and love.

I do understand the "JC bloodline" comments above, and I am fine if they rework that, but if they rework too much it wont be Preacher anymore.

From a thread I started about the biggest series disappointments once you finally read them.

Think of all the highly touted books around here: Watchmen, Killing Joke, Claremont Xmen, etc. When you finally sat down to read one based on their popularity, what was the biggest disappointment?

For me, it was clearly Preacher. I bought a lot of the complete trades and read them over the course of a week I think. It was a chore. By the second or third trade, if memory serves correctly, it felt like I was reading the work of teenagers. The story tries SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to be shocking and I recall the art being pretty mediocre. It had enough of a story to keep me going to the end. But, if I didn't have all the trades, I doubt I would've kept reading.

How about you?

That trailer looked like absolute trash.

All Preacher #1's (which I have 6) should be heading downward.

True Blood sucked, but mixed that same shows effort with Preacher and you have millions of free money.

Seth Rogen seems now like a sell out from that trailer.

Edited by SPECTRE_nWo

True Blood sucked, but mixed that same shows effort with Preacher and you have millions of free money.

Quoting for posterity and backpedaling insurance.

From a thread I started about the biggest series disappointments once you finally read them.

Think of all the highly touted books around here: Watchmen, Killing Joke, Claremont Xmen, etc. When you finally sat down to read one based on their popularity, what was the biggest disappointment?

For me, it was clearly Preacher. I bought a lot of the complete trades and read them over the course of a week I think. It was a chore. By the second or third trade, if memory serves correctly, it felt like I was reading the work of teenagers. The story tries SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to be shocking and I recall the art being pretty mediocre. It had enough of a story to keep me going to the end. But, if I didn't have all the trades, I doubt I would've kept reading.

How about you?

I really liked it. It's right in-line with pretty much everything I've read by Ennis.

No it looks bad and PG like.

Well if it's anything close to the success of True Blood your 6 copies should be a sound investment. A show does not have to be good to be successful, hello 2.5 men. That being said I really enjoyed True Blood's first few seasons.

No it looks bad and PG like.

Having six copies of the book isnt "selling out", but possibly adjusting the content to get it on TV is? Something about that doesnt quite add up. I could see if he was the writer, and was changing it just to make money, that would count as selling out.

But he is just some guy, making his version/vision of it. It may or may not be true to the original content (yet unknown), but he's not a sell out if he is doing what he wants and in the way he wants. Then he is just a person who's vision/direction/take is not liked.

I was underwhelmed by the trailer as well. I'd be really surprised if it lasts more than two seasons.

Then again, having read the first three trades, I never *got* Preacher or why it was so popular to begin with.

Guess I just thought Ennis's work on Hellblazer & Punisher was far stronger.

I think I will hold off my judgment until the show actually comes out. Did the trailer blow me away? No. Was it the worst thing I have ever seen? No. Great television shows are all about great character development. It is not possible in a 90 second trailer to know anything about character development. 2c

How about you?

I love the series. But that is just me. I would much rather read an original series from Preacher to Y to Rachel Rising than anything that has a superhero that is incapable of dying. I can't get over the fact that the standard DC and Marvel fare reads like soap operas for teenage boys. However, for me that standard fare was mostly from the 80s and 90s.

Edited by ridersrohan

Long interview.

Exclusive Interview: Garth Ennis' Reaction to the Preacher Trailer

And now for the elephant in the room, Preacher being adapted to television. The first trailer hit last Sunday. Have you been paying much attention to the fan response over the past couple of days?

Ennis: I never really look at that sort of stuff because it's not my department, but I'm told lots of people are talking about the trailer- so great news for the guys pushing the show. I did hear that Amazon sold out of book one, which is great (so long as they had more than half a dozen copies in stock).

What are your feelings on the first trailer? What newly revealed elements of the show are you most excited to have in the open?

Ennis: I'm delighted with it. I like Jesse's grim dialogue taking you through it, and his explosion into violence. And Cassidy's little moment at the end is the icing on the cake.

There's obviously still a lot missing in that trailer with only small glimpses of Tulip, Cassidy, and no Arseface. How representative of the overall show do you think it is?

Ennis: As much as it needs to be. I've seen the pilot, which I think is excellent - the trailer hits just the right note.

Long interview.

Exclusive Interview: Garth Ennis' Reaction to the Preacher Trailer

And now for the elephant in the room, Preacher being adapted to television. The first trailer hit last Sunday. Have you been paying much attention to the fan response over the past couple of days?

Ennis: I never really look at that sort of stuff because it's not my department, but I'm told lots of people are talking about the trailer- so great news for the guys pushing the show. I did hear that Amazon sold out of book one, which is great (so long as they had more than half a dozen copies in stock).

What are your feelings on the first trailer? What newly revealed elements of the show are you most excited to have in the open?

Ennis: I'm delighted with it. I like Jesse's grim dialogue taking you through it, and his explosion into violence. And Cassidy's little moment at the end is the icing on the cake.

There's obviously still a lot missing in that trailer with only small glimpses of Tulip, Cassidy, and no Arseface. How representative of the overall show do you think it is?

Ennis: As much as it needs to be. I've seen the pilot, which I think is excellent - the trailer hits just the right note.

If Ennis gives it a thumbs up I think we can be hopeful. (but I DID NOT like that trailer)

'Preacher' Ups Derek Wilson To Regular

Wilson plays Donny Schenck, a Civil War re-enactor and abusive thug who gets into altercations with Jesse Custer (the Preacher). The decision to elevate the role to regular from recurring was made after the pilot was shot. Preacher is slated to premiere later this year.

Wilson recurs on Sundance Channel’s Rectify and appeared on Broadway in Macbeth. He is repped by Gartner/Green, Innovative and attorney James Adams.

PREACHER Will Premiere At SXSW 2016; Check Out A New Image Of 'Jesse Custer'

It's just been announced that AMC's Preacher will premiere at the 2016 South by Southwest film festival, which will run from March 11-20. We also have an updated synopsis and new image from the show, featuring Dominic Cooper as the Reverend Jesse Custer taking a little smoke break in church.

Preacher is a supernatural, twisted and darkly comedic drama that follows a West Texas preacher named Jesse Custer, who – along with his ex-girlfriend Tulip and an Irish vagabond named Cassidy – is thrust into a crazy world, much bigger than he is.

PREACHER Will Premiere At SXSW 2016; Check Out A New Image Of 'Jesse Custer'

It's just been announced that AMC's Preacher will premiere at the 2016 South by Southwest film festival, which will run from March 11-20. We also have an updated synopsis and new image from the show, featuring Dominic Cooper as the Reverend Jesse Custer taking a little smoke break in church.

Preacher is a supernatural, twisted and darkly comedic drama that follows a West Texas preacher named Jesse Custer, who – along with his ex-girlfriend Tulip and an Irish vagabond named Cassidy – is thrust into a crazy world, much bigger than he is.

Oh nice, I will be there then

AMC Is Using THE WALKING DEAD Blueprint For PREACHER

The blueprint used to turn Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead comic book into TV's #1 show may be used again for AMC's second comic book adaptation, Preacher.

Showrunners Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Sam Catlin revealed some interesting tidbits during their recent Winter TCA panel. "We talked with Garth [Ennis] and he very much encouraged us to make a lot of small changes and make it a good show first and foremost. We want fans to get everything they loved of the comic and still get some twists and turns."

This strategy has obviously worked for AMC as the show has gone on to colossal ratings success. However, it's split comic book fans that are familiar with the source material who wish the show would follow comic book cannon a little more closely.