• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth Rogen to make Preacher for AMC?

485 posts in this topic

uhhh....What did I just watch?

I was wondering the same thing. It doesn't appear as though they're keeping a lot of the more religious mythology aspects based on that trailer. I mean... maybe they're going to surprise the non-comic audience with it, but still... I think we saw Herr Starr, and a glance of Tulip, and maybe Cassidy in the jail cell? But umm... what about Genesis? Pretty sure swerving the audience with angels/demons/Genesis/etc might not really be the best way to gain audience.

I was wondering the same thing. It doesn't appear as though they're keeping a lot of the more religious mythology aspects based on that trailer. I mean... maybe they're going to surprise the non-comic audience with it, but still... I think we saw Herr Starr, and a glance of Tulip, and maybe Cassidy in the jail cell? But umm... what about Genesis? Pretty sure swerving the audience with angels/demons/Genesis/etc might not really be the best way to gain audience.

I like the chances of the series being successful if they don't show the religious parts of the comic. They can still have a good plot without it.

I like the chances of the series being successful if they don't show the religious parts of the comic. They can still have a good plot without it.

No doubt. But if it becomes a character drama instead of a supernatural story, I'm bailing. I don't really care to watch that. I already saw Breaking Bad once. I don't need to watch Preaching Bad.

Uh...what? The 'religious parts' are the core of the story. Angel/Devil offspring. Search for God. Destroying Angel seeking vengeance. If it doesn't have these elements, what's the point? Why call it 'Preacher'? Does anyone know how much Garth Ennis has to do with the production/writing? Hopefully he has a key role such as Kirkman's on TWD.

Uh...what? The 'religious parts' are the core of the story. Angel/Devil offspring. Search for God. Destroying Angel seeking vengeance. If it doesn't have these elements, what's the point? Why call it 'Preacher'? Does anyone know how much Garth Ennis has to do with the production/writing? Hopefully he has a key role such as Kirkman's on TWD.

Said it better then I ever could. :golfclap:

I would love for the show to stay true to the comic but having the descendants of JC being protrayed as inbreds may not go over well with a lot of the possible audiance.

I would love for the show to stay true to the comic but having the descendants of JC being protrayed as inbreds may not go over well with a lot of the possible audiance.

I think "staying true to the comic" and "copying it plot for plot, story for story" are 2 different things. They can avoid things like the "pure bloodline" thing without dumping all of the supernatural side.

Trailer was lukewarm for me. I'll check it out though.

A guy at my work (who used to be a collector, but was not familiar with Preacher) said he really liked the trailer and is looking forward to the show.

I doubt they'll get rid of the supernatural/religious stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tone it down a bit so as not to offend everyone.

Like this:

having the descendants of JC being protrayed as inbreds may not go over well

Can definitely see them doing something different here. I wouldn't be surprised if the Genesis "origin" is played with a bit as well.

I'd love for them to try and stay really true to the book, but with social media and sponsorships, they will have to tread carefully. Too many people (a lot that wouldn't ever watch the show in the first place) would go nuts over it.