• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth Rogen to make Preacher for AMC?

485 posts in this topic

AMC’s ‘Preacher’ Sets Something Loose in New Promo Trailer Read More: AMC 'Preacher' Sets Something Loose in Ominous New Trailer

Set to air with Sunday’s Dead finale, the newest Preacher trailer sees something set loose in a small town, while the new footage offers another glimpse of characters like Arseface and a demonic-looking church.

I was going to to go to SXSW and watch this but I had scheduling conflict come up. I do know several people who watched it though, and not one of them isn't glowing about it, though none of them have read the comics.

General buzz online seems to be positive too.

I think AMC needs something to go along with Walking Dead. They've had some quality programming but nothing seems to have stuck in what would be there kind of 2nd wave after becoming the place where (I think) the biggest show on cable is.

I hope this is a huge success that leads to more Vertigo and other Indie adaptations. If they can adapt Lucifer for tv, and Supernatural has been successful for so long, then a Sandman or Swamp Thing adaptation could work. Mind you, 100 Bullets was optioned, right?

I hope this is a huge success that leads to more Vertigo and other Indie adaptations. If they can adapt Lucifer for tv, and Supernatural has been successful for so long, then a Sandman or Swamp Thing adaptation could work. Mind you, 100 Bullets was optioned, right?

I think one of the keys, or at least an element to look to, is that WB lost the rights to Preacher's tv/film rights, and Ennis/Dillon were able to take it where they wanted to.

I think one of the keys, or at least an element to look to, is that WB lost the rights to Preacher's tv/film rights, and Ennis/Dillon were able to take it where they wanted to.

I did not realize that.

Why that long-awaited Preacher TV series doesn't involve DC Comics

"Preacher is a creator-owned project, DC Entertainment is not involved in the show."

So the films rights to Preacher are back in the hands of its creators. That's interesting news, but what exactly does that have to do with the show's new development deal? According to a trusted source of Spurgeon's, it has everything to do with it.

"DC's media rights to Preacher expired, after more than a decade of trying to get this show going and failing miserably," Spurgeon's source said. "They refused to re-assign media rights to Garth [Ennis], which he tried to get back when Paul [Levitz] cancelled The Boys over its content, despite it being WildStorm's only hit at the time. Within weeks -- no kidding -- of getting his rights back, Garth got Preacher to Seth [Rogen] and Evan [Goldberg] and AMC. It's an interesting story, and it might generate interest in other creator-owned DC titles, but it's actually a deterrent for them in retaining talent, since most of the folks Vertigo would publish all know one another and [are] aware of the happenings with Preacher."

I did not realize that.

"Preacher is a creator-owned project, DC Entertainment is not involved in the show."

So the films rights to Preacher are back in the hands of its creators. That's interesting news, but what exactly does that have to do with the show's new development deal? According to a trusted source of Spurgeon's, it has everything to do with it.

"DC's media rights to Preacher expired, after more than a decade of trying to get this show going and failing miserably," Spurgeon's source said. "They refused to re-assign media rights to Garth [Ennis], which he tried to get back when Paul [Levitz] cancelled The Boys over its content, despite it being WildStorm's only hit at the time. Within weeks -- no kidding -- of getting his rights back, Garth got Preacher to Seth [Rogen] and Evan [Goldberg] and AMC. It's an interesting story, and it might generate interest in other creator-owned DC titles, but it's actually a deterrent for them in retaining talent, since most of the folks Vertigo would publish all know one another and [are] aware of the happenings with Preacher."

Very interesting

I did not realize that.

Very interesting

Depending on when they signed their deal with Vertigo, and perhaps who the creators are at the time, their deals regarding adaptations are different. Some were first rights,some had to have some sort of level of production in play at a certain period of time, some were based on years, and some I've heard outright own their stuff, and some others are related to if the printed material is still in print.

While not Vertigo, this is the beef Alan Moore always had with Watchmen because apparently he thought their was a verbal agreement to allow the rights to revert to him in Gibbons, but DC has kept that book in print forever, allowing them to contractually control it (according to him).

On the other end you have had Gaiman state many times that DC owns Sandman outright.

This is why you've always seen a bit of a in-battle between DC proper and Vertigo, particularly under Didio, and why a lot of people went to Image where creators own everything outright. We eventually saw perhaps the most critically acclaimed editor in comics history (and a fine eye for talent) get ousted when the New52 started.

I know that a couple years ago BKV started that WB had only a brief time left to put a Y: The Last Man movie in production before the rights revereted back to him and Pia, which they have since. The last time we had a shot was with Dan Trachtenberg, who went on to direct Cloverfield Lane (and did a great job IMHO) instead (though at the time it was under a code name),

This Sunday.

New Preacher Image Of Cassidy Released

AMC will be releasing an extended scene from Preacher this Sunday during Fear The Walking Dead's Season 2 premiere. And as a reminder, they have put out a new image of Jesse Custer's mischievous vampire sidekick, Proinsias Cassidy (played by Joseph Gilgun).

preacheramc-178228.jpg

:whee:

AMC is doing a good job of marketing this show. I really hope it does well as the comic stands the test of time well. It would be a blast to see them take the TV series a few years to the end of the comic run. :wishluck:

Kinda sucks that Andrew Lincoln is tied up as Rick on TWD. He looks like Jesse Custer to me.

He could play Custer well, although I think Dominic Cooper will do just as good, or better.

On casting notes, the new screen still of Cassidy, looks very much like the cover of Preacher #3.

AMC is doing an excellent job if promoting this show, as Kimik said....it also bodes very well that all of the rights to the show are in the hands of the creators.

To those that say the show drifts from the conic storyounes, I say...chew on this and rethink your position ;)

That is another sign that the show won't be watered down.

AMC is doing a good job of marketing this show. I really hope it does well as the comic stands the test of time well. It would be a blast to see them take the TV series a few years to the end of the comic run. :wishluck:

I do agree, AMC is marketing this in a way it keeps you guessing - but in a good way. The way it used that image was nicely done.

69eJjWi.png