• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth Rogen to make Preacher for AMC?

485 posts in this topic

Seth Rogen talks Preacher and not wanting to screw up his favorite comic

Seth Rogen on what he hopes to accomplish with the show:

"We’re going to make a show that we like, so we hope that translates to people that love the comics, as well. But first and foremost, our goal is to make a great television show. There’s tons of stuff from the comic that we hope to include. For people who know the comics, there are all sorts of Easter eggs...that don’t obviously confuse people that are just coming to the show for the first time. I don’t want to ruin my favorite comic."

On picking Dominic Cooper for the lead role:

"Jesse is a very hard, interesting character (with) a lot happening under the surface. He's someone who goes from being very quiet to very opinionated as the comic goes on, and these are all the shades. We need someone who's funny at times, and again, just like the show, who can affect every tone.

I'd watched the James Bond [bBC America mini-series Fleming]. I'd watched THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE, and he's just an actor that is always someone that there was never an opportunity for us to put him in anything else really. There was never a role that was right for him in any of our other stuff, but he's someone that I always was like, 'Dominic Cooper's a great actor. Maybe we should try to work with him at some point.' Then when this came up, it was like, it could be him. He could be the perfect guy for it. It just worked out."

:wishluck:

My hopes are not high. Rogen has almost no writing, directing, and producing credits, and the few things he has done have been mediocre at best. They've also all been comedies, no drama at all, and even though comedy is his thing, his creator credits on comedies have been blah. I fully believe he wants to do an awesome job here, and hopefully, he will...but to date, he hasn't shown himself to be capable. It's a longshot, but we can hope for the best. :wishluck:

I have the same concerns, as Seth Rogen was co-writer for 'The Green Hornet' and that did not end so well at the box office.

But if 'Into The Badlands' can get a second season out of AMC, 'Preacher' has the same chance at succeeding.

Why Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg Made ‘Preacher': We’re Not Doing ‘Stupid Stuff for a While’

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg had a specific reason for adapting the graphic novel “Preacher” for television.

“We’ve chosen not to do stupid stuff for a while,” Goldberg said at a Television Critics Association panel on Friday. “Like the stuff we normally do,” Rogen chimed in.

The series stars Dominic Cooper as Jesse Custer, a West Texas preacher with a mysterious past. After a supernatural experience, he sets out with his ex-girlfriend Tulip (Ruth Negga) and Irish vampire Cassidy (Joseph Gilgun) to find God and ask him to explain himself.

Rogen also touched on the difficulty of translating the source material to the screen. “Many people more talented than us tried to turn this into a movie,” he said. “I don’t think you could translate the comics directly to television. I think everyone involved thought we should not, including Garth.”

Amen!

AMC's next show is based on a comic much more violent than 'The Walking Dead'

AMC's newest comic adaptation may be even more shocking (and possibly offensive) than even the most violent parts of "The Walking Dead."

Speaking to press at a screening of the pilot, executive producers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg made it clear "Preacher" will be taking a different approach than the Vertigo comic.

“I don’t know that you could translate it directly [from the comic],” Rogen said, according to Entertainment Weekly. “Everybody involved felt we should not — including [comic creator Garth Ennis].”

AMC's official synopsis for the show reads: "'Preacher' is the story of Jesse Custer (Dominic Cooper), a conflicted preacher in a small Texas town who is inhabited by a mysterious entity that allows him to develop a highly unconventional power. Jesse embarks on a journey to, literally, find God, joined by his ex-girlfriend Tulip (Ruth Negga) and an Irish vagabond named Cassidy (Joseph Gilgun)."

AMC’s Preacher Turns SXSW Upside Down

Ahead of the show’s world premiere at SXSW, AMC has unveiled an elaborate Preacher display in which the church is literally turned upside down. Check out the image above, and if you’re at the festivities in Texas, be sure to attend the show’s screening this Monday at 2:45pm at the Paramount Theater.

SXSW, the annual event in Austin, Texas, has announced the first slate of media set to debut at the festival, including the Netflix special Pee-wee’s Big Holiday and the long awaited comic book adaptation Preacher!

March 14th will be Preacher's World Premiere

image001.jpg

Finally have a release date.

PREACHER To Premiere Following Fear The Walking Dead Midseason Finale

AMC has announced that Preacher will premiere immediately following the midseason finale of Fear the Walking Dead.

That means the Preacher pilot will air Sunday, May 22 at 10 PM ET. Following that, Preacher will move to the Sunday at 9 p.m. time slot during Fear the Walking Dead's midseason hiatus.

:whee:

This is the second article now that has referenced this scene.

PREACHER Pilot Features Tom Cruise... Exploding

"In the pilot, a mysterious force from outer space is possessing preachers around the world – then graphically exploding them from the inside out. Midway through the episode, there’s a news report that shows Cruise speaking in front of a Church of Scientology audience, and then likewise blowing up."

hm

Entertainment Weekly is mentioning it as well.

AMC's Preacher pilot wins over SXSW audience

Another throwaway gag made buzz in particular by depicting the death of Tom Cruise. In the pilot, a mysterious force from outer space is possessing preachers around the world – then graphically exploding them from the inside out. Midway through the episode, there’s a news report that shows Cruise speaking in front of a Church of Scientology audience, and then likewise blowing up.

Asked if anybody at AMC objected to the gag, Goldberg replied, “It’s amazing, no one said anything! We kept waiting for somebody to say no and now it’s too late.”

“I will run into [Cruise] one day, though. That will happen,” Rogen predicted. “And I’ll have to explain that. I’ll have to come up with a way in my head to make it seem complimentary but I haven’t done it yet.”