• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth Rogen to make Preacher for AMC?

485 posts in this topic

Looks like AMC is recognizing it already has a working model for a post-show review.

AMC Announces Talking Preacher Recap Shows With Chris Hardwick

As announced on last night’s episode of Talking Dead, AMC will air a live after show, Talking Preacher, following the season premiere and finale episodes of its highly-anticipated new series Preacher. Hosted by comic and super-fan Chris Hardwick (Nerdist, Talking Dead, Talking Saul), the hour-long talk show will feature series cast, creators, producers and celebrity fans discussing and analyzing the supernatural, darkly comedic and twisted new series.

Talking Preacher will debut Memorial Day weekend on Sunday, May 29 at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT following an encore airing of Preacher’s pilot episode at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT with series star Dominic Cooper and series executive producers Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Sam Catlin as guests. The second installment will air following the season finale on Sunday, July 31st at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT.

Seriously, only 100 yards from my townhome in Buford GA is this abandoned church from 1860. The area I live in has exploded with townhomes and subdivisions. All available land has been bought up and converted, so now this church sticks out like a sore thumb. Some of the windows are broken, the paint is peeling off in the worst way, the roof is sinking. It's a mess, but it's still standing.

I love it. And now, every time I pass by it, all I can think about is Preacher. It looks like the Anville church to me.

I feel like renting it out for the premiere, putting a huge TV screen in there, have an open bar, and have a kick@ss Preacher opening night party.

Who's with me?

IMG_0743.JPG_zpszcgmfbtt.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

Seriously, only 100 yards from my townhome in Buford GA is this abandoned church from 1860. The area I live in has exploded with townhomes and subdivisions. All available land has been bought up and converted, so now this church sticks out like a sore thumb. Some of the windows are broken, the paint is peeling off in the worst way, the roof is sinking. It's a mess, but it's still standing.

I love it. And now, every time I pass by it, all I can think about is Preacher. It looks like the Anville church to me.

I feel like renting it out for the premiere, putting a huge TV screen in there, have an open bar, and have a kick@ss Preacher opening night party.

Who's with me?

IMG_0743.JPG_zpszcgmfbtt.jpg

It's probably full of hobos or meth dealers...so clear them out first and you might have something.

TV Review: Preacher - Pilot Episode

The “unadaptable” comic series from Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon as finally been adapted after years of false starts and changing hands. What began as a feature to be directed by Rachel Talalay starring James Marsden as the titular character, which then morphed into a potential TV series on HBO with GHOST RIDER’s Mark Steven Johnson at the helm, has now settled into a home at AMC with Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg leading the charge in bringing the saga of Jesse Custer to life. The only question now is: Did they pull it off?

As a lifelong fan of the comic, I think Rogen, Goldberg, and showrunner Sam Catlin (Breaking Bad) have struck a fine balance between telling the story to fans and non-fans, retaining the spirit, tone, and character that makes the comic so great. In many ways it’s like a retelling of the story, but still hits all the same beats. In that sense, it’s kind of brilliant. Having seen three of the follow on episodes, I can say that it’s not a fluke, either. As nervous as I was to see this be potentially botched, I’m now hooked to see how they unfold the insane journey of Jesse, Cassidy, and Tulip. There’s so much potential and a terrific set-up that should really allow this show to grow, take shape, and make a great compliment to the series that inspired it. Here’s to a successful series, pardner.

Final Penance: 9/10 Stars

:whee:

AMC's 'Preacher': As bloody as 'The Walking Dead,' but more fun (review)

"Preacher," the new comic book-derived series AMC is obviously hoping will repeat the success of "The Walking Dead," is the craziest show to careen across TV screens this year.

With a story about a troubled Texas preacher who's suddenly smacked with supernatural powers; a hard-drinking Irish vampire who regards a curious cow as lunch; British actors serving up thick-as-gravy Southern accents; action that bounces between the Southwest, Russia and Africa; and an incendiary joke about Tom Cruise, "Preacher" is guaranteed to make you sit up and take notice.

"We love the comic," Rogen said during a "Preacher" panel at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, in January. He added that while they hope "Preacher" appeals to fellow comic-lovers, "our first and foremost goal is to make a great, entertaining, fun television show that, if you've never heard of the comic book, you love."

But where "The Walking Dead" is easy to follow even for those of us who haven't read the comics – humans vs. zombies, got it -- "Preacher" is a thorny thicket of sloooowly revealed backstory, demons, angels and a villain who runs a local slaughterhouse.

Rogen and Goldberg, along with executive producer and showrunner Sam Catlin ("Breaking Bad"), are drawing on the '90s comic franchise written by the Irish-born Garth Ennis, and illustrated by Englishman Steve Dillon.

From descriptions of the comics, it sounds like the U.K. duo created a twisty mash-up of Hollywood Western tales, horror, science fiction and fractured theology.

Whether the "Preacher" series creative team will keep all its elements in balance or giddily drive off a cliff, is anybody's guess. But, judging from the early episodes, "Preacher" is a wild ride that will be worth hanging on for.

:whee:

Nice I thought an all Preacher sales thread the weekend it came out would be fun but was worrying the show may suck and the time to sell would have passed. This Sunday is going to rock!

I think we're still in full 'hold' mode. I mean only Quincannon has been cast, and nobody has seen him yet (in the show, yelling at people, having fun with meat, hanging out with the KKK). What about Herr Star? The Allfather? The Chunt Brothers? And of course, my two faves, Jody and T.C? I think if it's a success #1 can keep going up (and full disclosure I have ZERO copies of #1). Why sell them before 99% of the people who are going to watch this show know who they are? (and don't kid yourself by telling me most of the people watching Walking Dead read the comic, because that's CR#P. The book sells 125,000 an issue and 10 mil watch the show). It's the same thing here. Although we know who these people are, nobody else does.

Jay

I think we're still in full 'hold' mode. I mean only Quincannon has been cast, and nobody has seen him yet (in the show, yelling at people, having fun with meat, hanging out with the KKK). What about Herr Star? The Allfather? The Chunt Brothers? And of course, my two faves, Jody and T.C? I think if it's a success #1 can keep going up (and full disclosure I have ZERO copies of #1). Why sell them before 99% of the people who are going to watch this show know who they are? (and don't kid yourself by telling me most of the people watching Walking Dead read the comic, because that's CR#P. The book sells 125,000 an issue and 10 mil watch the show). It's the same thing here. Although we know who these people are, nobody else does.

Jay

Good luck - I'm in full on "sell sell sell" mode :banana:

I've sold 3 Preacher #1's in the last 2 months and numerous other issues of the series... not sure it has quite the mainstream acceptability of WD.... but, ya never know.

Odds are, based upon past examples other than WD, this is the best time to be selling....

I've sold 3 Preacher #1's in the last 2 months and numerous other issues of the series... not sure it has quite the mainstream acceptability of WD.... but, ya never know.

Odds are, based upon past examples other than WD, this is the best time to be selling....

Yep.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the show - it's one of my all-time favorite comics - but we've seen again & again that whether a show is good or not doesn't really affect the price as much as the pre-show hype does.